Service Pack 3 for XP?

Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they will release a
Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I haven't heard anything,
and Microsoft service packs usually generate a lot of media attention. I
thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle SP3 with the upcoming IE 7. If there
is no SP3 on the horizon, I suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.
10 answers Last reply
More about service pack

    Schedule for Service Packs:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

    With Longhorn, IE-7 don't expect a Service Pack anytime soon.
    IMO, the next significant update to XP will likely be a Rollup that
    backports Longhorn feature sets to XP. Besides XP is now a
    mature product and after SP2, there aren't a significant number of
    Bug fixes, just the patches for Security exposures and most of
    those are IE related.

    "History Fan" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
    > Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they will release a
    > Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I haven't heard anything,
    > and Microsoft service packs usually generate a lot of media attention. I
    > thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle SP3 with the upcoming IE 7. If
    > there is no SP3 on the horizon, I suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:03:13 -0400, "History Fan"
    <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote:

    > Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they will release a
    >Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I haven't heard anything,
    >and Microsoft service packs usually generate a lot of media attention. I
    >thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle SP3 with the upcoming IE 7. If there
    >is no SP3 on the horizon, I suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.

    According to osnn.net there are going to be a buncha big patches for
    Windows/Office (some critical) on Tuesday. These seem to come up
    sometime around 2000 + GMT. (their afternoon - GMT-7 in summer)

    In news:1121004179.f534b90af9347783f82e5e7a8e979999@teranews,
    Joel Rubin <jmrubin@ix.netcom.com> typed:

    > On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:03:13 -0400, "History Fan"
    > <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they
    >> will
    >> release a Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I
    >> haven't
    >> heard anything, and Microsoft service packs usually generate a
    >> lot
    >> of media attention. I thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle
    >> SP3
    >> with the upcoming IE 7. If there is no SP3 on the horizon, I
    >> suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.
    >>
    > According to osnn.net there are going to be a buncha big
    > patches for
    > Windows/Office (some critical) on Tuesday. These seem to come
    > up
    > sometime around 2000 + GMT. (their afternoon - GMT-7 in summer)

    The second Tuesday of each month is the regular day for Microsoft
    to release patches. There's nothing special about this upcoming
    Tuesday, and SP3 won't be released then.

    In answer to History Fan's question, no, no information about SP3
    has been released. Although it's likely that there may be an SP3,
    nobody knows even that for sure. If it is released, nobody knows
    when it will be.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    When/if a SP3 for Windows XP is released, I'm assuming it will be a
    much smaller package than what we experienced with SP2.

    Irregardless, I'm looking forward to IE 7, which is supposed to have
    RSS feeds and tabbed browsing, not to mention improved security features.
    I've tried Firefox, but I still prefer the much-maligned browser from
    Microsoft. There are too many websites that only work properly with IE to
    make me switch permanently to another browser. Plus I like the look and
    feel of IE.

    I briefly tried the MSN Toolbar, which adds tabbed browsing to IE. But
    the MSN Toolbar package also includes other programs which I don't want or
    need. Plus I didn't like how it integrates with IE. With Firefox, if you
    want to open a new tab, you merely click the "New Tab" button....or click
    File, New Tab. To access tabs with MSN Toolbar, you have to leave the
    toolbar open on your screen, which takes up space.

    In news:Op%23gRwWhFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    History Fan <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> typed:

    > Irregardless, I'm looking forward to IE 7, which is
    > supposed to
    > have RSS feeds and tabbed browsing, not to mention improved
    > security
    > features. I've tried Firefox, but I still prefer the
    > much-maligned
    > browser from Microsoft. There are too many websites that only
    > work
    > properly with IE to make me switch permanently to another
    > browser. Plus I like the look and feel of IE.

    You might want to consider Maxthon, which is not actually a
    different browser, but a shell for IE. It has RSS feeds, tabbed
    browsing, and much more. I like it a lot.

    http://www.maxthon.com/

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I agree. I've been using Maxthon for ages and I'm hooked. I love the
    tabbed browing, RSS feeds, and AD and popup blocker. Firefox got
    me hooked on tabbed browsing but I never liked the mozilla/netscape
    browsers....

    > In news:Op%23gRwWhFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > History Fan <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> typed:
    >

    >> Irregardless, I'm looking forward to IE 7, which is supposed to
    >> have RSS feeds and tabbed browsing, not to mention improved security
    >> features. I've tried Firefox, but I still prefer the much-maligned
    >> browser from Microsoft. There are too many websites that only work
    >> properly with IE to make me switch permanently to another browser. Plus I like the
    >> look and feel of IE.
    >

    > You might want to consider Maxthon, which is not actually a different browser, but
    > a shell for IE. It has RSS feeds, tabbed browsing, and much more. I like it a lot.
    >
    > http://www.maxthon.com/

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    I haven't seen any such official announcement from MS.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    History Fan wrote:
    > Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they will release a
    > Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I haven't heard anything,
    > and Microsoft service packs usually generate a lot of media attention. I
    > thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle SP3 with the upcoming IE 7. If there
    > is no SP3 on the horizon, I suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.

    "History Fan" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
    > When/if a SP3 for Windows XP is released, I'm assuming it will be a
    > much smaller package than what we experienced with SP2.

    Not so. Since service packs include all previous service packs, SP3 it will
    be larger then SP2.
    I've no doubt that it will be available on a CD for the same price as the
    SP2 CD (free).

    If you download SP3 (whenever it's released), presumably only the files
    you need will be downloaded and installed to one's computer. This should
    make for a relatively small file size, assuming your computer is already
    up-to-date with the latest Microsoft security patches. Whereas SP2 was
    almost an entirely new operating system, and quite huge in size.

    "Mark Weinreb" <mzw@mailinator.com> wrote in message
    > "History Fan" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
    >> When/if a SP3 for Windows XP is released, I'm assuming it will be a
    >> much smaller package than what we experienced with SP2.
    >>
    > Not so. Since service packs include all previous service packs, SP3 it
    > will be larger then SP2.
    > I've no doubt that it will be available on a CD for the same price as the
    > SP2 CD (free).

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:15:44 -0400, "R. McCarty"
    <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >With Longhorn, IE-7 don't expect a Service Pack anytime soon.
    >IMO, the next significant update to XP will likely be a Rollup that
    >backports Longhorn feature sets to XP. Besides XP is now a
    >mature product and after SP2, there aren't a significant number of
    >Bug fixes, just the patches for Security exposures and most of
    >those are IE related.

    I thought loghorn was delayed for quite sometime according to some
    reports.

    Greg Ro

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Product