Service Pack 3 for XP?

July 10, 2005 1:03:13 PM

Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they will release a
Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I haven't heard anything,
and Microsoft service packs usually generate a lot of media attention. I
thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle SP3 with the upcoming IE 7. If there
is no SP3 on the horizon, I suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.

More about : service pack

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 1:15:44 PM

Schedule for Service Packs:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks...

With Longhorn, IE-7 don't expect a Service Pack anytime soon.
IMO, the next significant update to XP will likely be a Rollup that
backports Longhorn feature sets to XP. Besides XP is now a
mature product and after SP2, there aren't a significant number of
Bug fixes, just the patches for Security exposures and most of
those are IE related.

"History Fan" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
> Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they will release a
> Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I haven't heard anything,
> and Microsoft service packs usually generate a lot of media attention. I
> thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle SP3 with the upcoming IE 7. If
> there is no SP3 on the horizon, I suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 2:03:09 PM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:03:13 -0400, "History Fan"
<Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote:

> Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they will release a
>Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I haven't heard anything,
>and Microsoft service packs usually generate a lot of media attention. I
>thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle SP3 with the upcoming IE 7. If there
>is no SP3 on the horizon, I suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.

According to osnn.net there are going to be a buncha big patches for
Windows/Office (some critical) on Tuesday. These seem to come up
sometime around 2000 + GMT. (their afternoon - GMT-7 in summer)
July 10, 2005 2:03:10 PM

In news:1121004179.f534b90af9347783f82e5e7a8e979999@teranews,
Joel Rubin <jmrubin@ix.netcom.com> typed:

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:03:13 -0400, "History Fan"
> <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote:
>
>> Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they
>> will
>> release a Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I
>> haven't
>> heard anything, and Microsoft service packs usually generate a
>> lot
>> of media attention. I thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle
>> SP3
>> with the upcoming IE 7. If there is no SP3 on the horizon, I
>> suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.
>>
> According to osnn.net there are going to be a buncha big
> patches for
> Windows/Office (some critical) on Tuesday. These seem to come
> up
> sometime around 2000 + GMT. (their afternoon - GMT-7 in summer)

The second Tuesday of each month is the regular day for Microsoft
to release patches. There's nothing special about this upcoming
Tuesday, and SP3 won't be released then.

In answer to History Fan's question, no, no information about SP3
has been released. Although it's likely that there may be an SP3,
nobody knows even that for sure. If it is released, nobody knows
when it will be.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 4:25:55 PM

When/if a SP3 for Windows XP is released, I'm assuming it will be a
much smaller package than what we experienced with SP2.

Irregardless, I'm looking forward to IE 7, which is supposed to have
RSS feeds and tabbed browsing, not to mention improved security features.
I've tried Firefox, but I still prefer the much-maligned browser from
Microsoft. There are too many websites that only work properly with IE to
make me switch permanently to another browser. Plus I like the look and
feel of IE.

I briefly tried the MSN Toolbar, which adds tabbed browsing to IE. But
the MSN Toolbar package also includes other programs which I don't want or
need. Plus I didn't like how it integrates with IE. With Firefox, if you
want to open a new tab, you merely click the "New Tab" button....or click
File, New Tab. To access tabs with MSN Toolbar, you have to leave the
toolbar open on your screen, which takes up space.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 4:25:56 PM

In news:o p%23gRwWhFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
History Fan <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> typed:

> Irregardless, I'm looking forward to IE 7, which is
> supposed to
> have RSS feeds and tabbed browsing, not to mention improved
> security
> features. I've tried Firefox, but I still prefer the
> much-maligned
> browser from Microsoft. There are too many websites that only
> work
> properly with IE to make me switch permanently to another
> browser. Plus I like the look and feel of IE.

You might want to consider Maxthon, which is not actually a
different browser, but a shell for IE. It has RSS feeds, tabbed
browsing, and much more. I like it a lot.

http://www.maxthon.com/

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:20:17 PM

I agree. I've been using Maxthon for ages and I'm hooked. I love the
tabbed browing, RSS feeds, and AD and popup blocker. Firefox got
me hooked on tabbed browsing but I never liked the mozilla/netscape
browsers....

> In news:o p%23gRwWhFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> History Fan <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> typed:
>

>> Irregardless, I'm looking forward to IE 7, which is supposed to
>> have RSS feeds and tabbed browsing, not to mention improved security
>> features. I've tried Firefox, but I still prefer the much-maligned
>> browser from Microsoft. There are too many websites that only work
>> properly with IE to make me switch permanently to another browser. Plus I like the
>> look and feel of IE.
>

> You might want to consider Maxthon, which is not actually a different browser, but
> a shell for IE. It has RSS feeds, tabbed browsing, and much more. I like it a lot.
>
> http://www.maxthon.com/

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:45:14 PM

I haven't seen any such official announcement from MS.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

History Fan wrote:
> Has Microsoft made any announcements about whether they will release a
> Service Pack 3 for Windows XP this year? If so, I haven't heard anything,
> and Microsoft service packs usually generate a lot of media attention. I
> thought perhaps Microsoft would bundle SP3 with the upcoming IE 7. If there
> is no SP3 on the horizon, I suppose IE 7 will be released by itself.

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:55:21 PM

"History Fan" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
news:o p%23gRwWhFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> When/if a SP3 for Windows XP is released, I'm assuming it will be a
> much smaller package than what we experienced with SP2.

Not so. Since service packs include all previous service packs, SP3 it will
be larger then SP2.
I've no doubt that it will be available on a CD for the same price as the
SP2 CD (free).
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:55:22 PM

If you download SP3 (whenever it's released), presumably only the files
you need will be downloaded and installed to one's computer. This should
make for a relatively small file size, assuming your computer is already
up-to-date with the latest Microsoft security patches. Whereas SP2 was
almost an entirely new operating system, and quite huge in size.

"Mark Weinreb" <mzw@mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:o WpFMiXhFHA.2372@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "History Fan" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
> news:o p%23gRwWhFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> When/if a SP3 for Windows XP is released, I'm assuming it will be a
>> much smaller package than what we experienced with SP2.
>>
> Not so. Since service packs include all previous service packs, SP3 it
> will be larger then SP2.
> I've no doubt that it will be available on a CD for the same price as the
> SP2 CD (free).

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:10:15 AM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:15:44 -0400, "R. McCarty"
<PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:

>With Longhorn, IE-7 don't expect a Service Pack anytime soon.
>IMO, the next significant update to XP will likely be a Rollup that
>backports Longhorn feature sets to XP. Besides XP is now a
>mature product and after SP2, there aren't a significant number of
>Bug fixes, just the patches for Security exposures and most of
>those are IE related.

I thought loghorn was delayed for quite sometime according to some
reports.

Greg Ro
!