Fat 16 Partition: Oxide (EISA configuration)?

My new Dell computer has a small 39MB partition (Fat 16 Partition: Oxide
(EISA configuration) as the 1st partition on my 1st disk. Its a primary
partition with no drive letter. I thouught all primary partitions had driver
letters?

A google search reveals that some computers add this partition, but, no
explanation why. What is the purpose of this partition? I want to
partition my two HDs should I leave this partition alone? Appreciate your
input.

Don

Malke

Don Pullem wrote:

> My new Dell computer has a small 39MB partition (Fat 16 Partition:
> Oxide
> (EISA configuration) as the 1st partition on my 1st disk. Its a
> primary partition with no drive letter. I thouught all primary
> partitions had driver letters?
>
> A google search reveals that some computers add this partition, but,
> no
> explanation why. What is the purpose of this partition? I want to
> partition my two HDs should I leave this partition alone? Appreciate
> your input.
>
> Don

All the new(ish) Dells have this. It is a special mftr.'s partition that
holds diagnostic software and probably routines for the Dell System
Restore. You should leave it alone.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> Don Pullem wrote:
>
> > My new Dell computer has a small 39MB partition (Fat 16 Partition:
> > Oxide
> > (EISA configuration) as the 1st partition on my 1st disk. Its a
> > primary partition with no drive letter. I thouught all primary
> > partitions had driver letters?
> >
> > A google search reveals that some computers add this partition, but,
> > no
> > explanation why. What is the purpose of this partition? I want to
> > partition my two HDs should I leave this partition alone? Appreciate
> > your input.
> >
> > Don
>
> All the new(ish) Dells have this. It is a special mftr.'s partition that
> holds diagnostic software and probably routines for the Dell System
> Restore. You should leave it alone.
>
> Malke
> --

"new(ish)" -- love those new words !
Anyway, if snooping around in that hidden partition (there are
ways to get into it) be careful what you run. Seems to me there
is a com or exe file in there that is run to initialize the new system
the first time. Running it will recreate your "new" system for you
whether or not you wanted to do that. Easy to shoot yourself in
the foot ... close to the kneecap with that.

mikey

I'll just leave it alone. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Don