Zalmoxis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2004
Hello all
I am trying to get my new ram to work in my system at home. I recently purchaged one gig of hyperX pc4000 ram from my work, yet i can not seem to get the ram to work. I am currently running a msi board, neo2 865PE, with a p4 3.2c CPU.

My problem is here:
Everytime i try to adjust my bios settings to get the ram up to speed, my system refuses to boot up, and after several minutes, its boots p but ates that memory timings were to tight. No matter what i try to do, i can noit seem to get the ram to run at 500mhz.

Steps i tryied to get ram to work:
1) Upped the FSB to 250
2) Upped the voltage for ram to 2.65-2.80
3) lowered the AGP/CPU ratio closest to 66.67/38.98 as possible.
4) tried setting the dram frequency to different settings other than auto.
5) turned off spread spect.
6) Turn off/on: SPD(sp?) for memory timings
- BTW, memory timings are set to 3-4-4-8
7) ran memtest86 to test ram : all systems go here

I am at a lost here, when i try to use my older pc 2700 ram, i have no trouble with boosting the FSB and overclocking the system, yet once the kingston ram goes in, i can not seem to run it at anything other than 200x4.

Any help would be glady appreciated.

Thanks in advance

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Is it possible its a CPU related problem? Upping your FSB to 250 increases your CPU to 250*16=4000MHz...thats a big OC for that CPU.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1 - Set Vdimm to 2.8v. You'll need it as MSI undervolts ram

2 - Turn off Turbo-mode or any dynamic over-clock features. It's not usable above 218mhz anyway. Do all your over-clocking manually.

3 - Raise Vcore to 1.575v. You can start there and work up or down from there. No more than 1.65v, ever.

4 - Lock your PCI/AGP buss down to 33/66mhz. If you don't lock it manually it will jump when you raise your FSB and no post ever.

5 - Set the modules in slots 1 & 3. Raise your FSB speed about 6mhz at a time.

6 - No go? RMA the sticks to Kingston. They are the best on warranty service. You might check <A HREF="http://forum.msi.com.tw/" target="_new">here</A> first.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, just getting the memory speed up is the wrong approach to performance gains.

You'll want your RAM to run in Dual Channel mode at the same speed as the CPU bus (synchronously). That means setting your RAM to 200MHz clock (DDR400) with your CPU bus stock, then raising the CPU bus, which will overclock both the RAM and the CPU simultaniously.

Now, you won't get your CPU to 250MHz bus clock, so you shouldn't even be trying to get the RAM that high. You'll probably max out around 233MHz bus, give or take a few MHz.

Set your CPU to 1.65v core and your RAM to 2.80v, lock your AGP/PCI rather than using a ratio of the CPU, and try overclocking to 220MHz bus. If that works, check for stability, and if it's stable, raise it 1 MHz and repeat. Find the limit of your CPU where all programs run stable, drop the bus speed at least 1MHz from the highest stable setting, and you'll be very close to your maximum performance.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>