Wanted: Beta Testers

Hi folks!

_Threnody_ is a puzzle-rich, lighthearted fantasy game written for
Spring Thing 2005. This mid-length game features nonlinear gameplay,
multiple endings, and flexible puzzle solutions.

_Threnody_ is designed for an HTML TADS interpreter, but should
function gracefully in a standard TADS environment. It is available in
..GAM (954k) and Windows .EXE (2.5Mb) formats. An additional 2Mb
graphic resource file is available; this file is optional, but
recommended.

If you would be interested in beta testing the game, please download a
copy from http://www.dopplerfx.com/if/threnody/ .

Your feedback on any aspect of the game is greatly appreciated!

-- John "Doppler" Schiff

John Doppler Schiff wrote:
> If you would be interested in beta testing the game, please download
> copy from http://www.dopplerfx.com/if/threnody/ .

I guess I should have looked at this thread before.

John, please remove all public links to your game until the competition
starts. I know this is just for the sake of beta-testing, but this puts
your game on shaky ground with respect to the "not previously released"
rule. I don't know if you were here for the unpleasant arguing last
summer, but what we need now is a hard and fast line separating
released games from unreleased games.

You can still distribute your game to beta-testers privately by email.
I'll also let you put the game up for public download once the
competition starts, as long as you don't talk about it in the
newsgroups at that time, and as long as you only let people download
the same version that's in the comp until the judging period is over.

Greg

Whoops!
No, I wasn't here for that -- I just re-entered the IF scene in
December. I was unaware of the controversy. I've removed the game
from the web site.

My apologies if I stepped in something unpleasant and tracked it across
the newsgroups!

Greg, just to clarify the rules on beta testing: is it permissible to
solicit beta testers via the newsgroups, as long as the game itself is
made available only through private email?

John Doppler Schiff wrote:
> Greg, just to clarify the rules on beta testing: is it permissible to
> solicit beta testers via the newsgroups, as long as the game itself
is
> made available only through private email?

Sure, no problem. Then, later, during the judging period, don't talk
about your game in public forums.

Greg