Third party firewall

Hi,
I have a small office 802.11g network on machines running XP Pro SP2.
I also have a third party internet protection software including a firewall.
When that firewall is up, exploration and pinging other systems is not
possible.
What ports to open and what services to allow access so that member PCs can
communicate easily.
Thanks
Yba
7 answers Last reply
More about third party firewall

    Which 3rd party internet protection software are you using? Each has it's
    own "quirks" that need to be adjusted.

    "yba02" <yba02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a small office 802.11g network on machines running XP Pro SP2.
    > I also have a third party internet protection software including a
    > firewall.
    > When that firewall is up, exploration and pinging other systems is not
    > possible.
    > What ports to open and what services to allow access so that member PCs
    > can
    > communicate easily.
    > Thanks
    > Yba

    Don't bother with software, buy a hardware firewall. It's more secure.

    In news:dardk5$fsl$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Alan Smith <alan@hidden.email> typed:

    > Don't bother with software, buy a hardware firewall. It's more
    > secure.

    It might be more secure in some senses, but it does nothing to
    stop spyware programs trying to call home. For that reason, I
    would recommend using a software firewall even if there was a
    hardware one present.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005.
    Thanks
    Yba.

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:dardk5$fsl$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
    > Alan Smith <alan@hidden.email> typed:
    >
    > > Don't bother with software, buy a hardware firewall. It's more
    > > secure.
    >

    > It might be more secure in some senses, but it does nothing to
    > stop spyware programs trying to call home. For that reason, I
    > would recommend using a software firewall even if there was a
    > hardware one present.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    ZoneAlarm is still being rated as the best software firewall available.

    Jerry wrote:
    > ZoneAlarm is still being rated as the best software firewall available.
    >
    > "yba02" <yba02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005.
    >>Thanks
    >>Yba.

    Just curious, but "who" is doing the rating?

    Fellows, I still need to allow certain ports through the firewall?
    Thanks
    Yba.

    "James" wrote:

    > Jerry wrote:
    > > ZoneAlarm is still being rated as the best software firewall available.
    > >
    > > "yba02" <yba02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005.
    > >>Thanks
    > >>Yba.
    >

    > Just curious, but "who" is doing the rating?

Firewalls Windows XP