Third party firewall

July 10, 2005 10:33:02 AM

Hi,
I have a small office 802.11g network on machines running XP Pro SP2.
I also have a third party internet protection software including a firewall.
When that firewall is up, exploration and pinging other systems is not
possible.
What ports to open and what services to allow access so that member PCs can
communicate easily.
Thanks
Yba

More about : party firewall

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:19:09 AM

Which 3rd party internet protection software are you using? Each has it's
own "quirks" that need to be adjusted.

"yba02" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a small office 802.11g network on machines running XP Pro SP2.
> I also have a third party internet protection software including a firewall.
> When that firewall is up, exploration and pinging other systems is not
> possible.
> What ports to open and what services to allow access so that member PCs can
> communicate easily.
> Thanks
> Yba
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 7:52:11 PM

"yba02" <yba02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a small office 802.11g network on machines running XP Pro SP2.
> I also have a third party internet protection software including a
> firewall.
> When that firewall is up, exploration and pinging other systems is not
> possible.
> What ports to open and what services to allow access so that member PCs
> can
> communicate easily.
> Thanks
> Yba

Don't bother with software, buy a hardware firewall. It's more secure.
July 10, 2005 7:52:12 PM

In news:D ardk5$fsl$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
Alan Smith <alan@hidden.email> typed:

> Don't bother with software, buy a hardware firewall. It's more
> secure.

It might be more secure in some senses, but it does nothing to
stop spyware programs trying to call home. For that reason, I
would recommend using a software firewall even if there was a
hardware one present.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 7:52:13 PM

Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005.
Thanks
Yba.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:D ardk5$fsl$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
> Alan Smith <alan@hidden.email> typed:
>
> > Don't bother with software, buy a hardware firewall. It's more
> > secure.
>

> It might be more secure in some senses, but it does nothing to
> stop spyware programs trying to call home. For that reason, I
> would recommend using a software firewall even if there was a
> hardware one present.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

July 10, 2005 7:52:14 PM

ZoneAlarm is still being rated as the best software firewall available.

> Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005.
> Thanks
> Yba.
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:D ardk5$fsl$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
>> Alan Smith <alan@hidden.email> typed:
>>
>> > Don't bother with software, buy a hardware firewall. It's more
>> > secure.
>>

>> It might be more secure in some senses, but it does nothing to
>> stop spyware programs trying to call home. For that reason, I
>> would recommend using a software firewall even if there was a
>> hardware one present.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

July 11, 2005 12:10:16 AM

Jerry wrote:
> ZoneAlarm is still being rated as the best software firewall available.
>
> "yba02" <yba02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005.
>>Thanks
>>Yba.

Just curious, but "who" is doing the rating?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:28:03 AM

Fellows, I still need to allow certain ports through the firewall?
Thanks
Yba.

!