Problem deleting partition (C:)

Lordherod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Recently I had to reinstall windows again after having a problem with my GPU having serious issues (load would go to 99% when mouse goes inactive after about a minute).

The issue I'm having now is deleting the disk partition that windows was previously installed on (c).

I decided to delete the partition on my bigger drive (465gb), reformat it, and installed windows on it. I made it the active, default drive. (It says Boot, Page file, Active, Crash dump, Primary partition).

The C: drive that i'm trying to delete wont allow me. (I turned it into a dynamic drive accidentally but either way was getting a similar message before). Now it says "Windows cannot delete the system volume on this disk".

I have read multiple guides, and have tried using command prompt and etc... I don't know what else to do from here.

Ideally I want my bigger drive to be the one windows runs off of because the drive windows was previously installed to (c) is only 75 gb.

Note: I have an img file that can show you my exact disk map in the disk management section but not sure if I can attach a file.

LINK to Disk map: http://s9.postimage.org/xt4ez1cj3/disk_part.png

Note: In the image you will see that I made another partition of the same drive (J) which was an accident. However, I am still trying to remove the 75gb partition that used to be "c"

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Download Gparted (its a linux boot disc) and use that:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Do it while you are fully aware what you are doing. You don't want to nuke the wrong HDD. Delete all partitions, then create a new NTFS one in Windows.

Lordherod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Delete ALL partitions? I just need to delete C. I Don't want to delete J because my OS is running off of it. If the program can let me just delete the C drives partition then I'll be good to go.

johhny-marshal

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

If you want to delete the partition and get the system clean, Insert a boot disc and start booting with it. After loading system files, it will ask you where to install the Windows, there you will get option to delete, format the partition, create partition. I think you should try formatting the drive C: and re-install the Windows.

Lordherod

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

The thought crossed my mind. I will have to go buy some blank dvd discs.

Also, Windows is running fine now on J and I'd rather not have to reinstall windows for a third time. I'd just like the 75gb drive to be wiped and available for new files.