Sign in with
Your question

LCD: refresh rate problem or is it normal????

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 26, 2007 7:16:02 AM

heya,
ok, so I bought viewsonic vg1930wm (19",1440*900, 5 ms). but at the native resolution and a refresh rate of 60 hz, I can notice strange wave like going upwards when the background is white or of very light color. but when I change my refresh rate to 75 hz they disappear. you can see my screen here.
According to the manual, the recommended and supported resolution is 1440*900 at 60 hz, but a selection of 75 hz is still possible in display and it works too.
so the question is: Can I use the refresh rate of 75 hz at 1440*900 or will it damage my screen in the long run or something or is it just a precautionary measure to mention 60 hz in the manual?
thx in advance......
April 26, 2007 10:52:16 AM

I take it you're using a VGA (D-Sub) connection? In any case, your monitor will not refresh at any rate other than 60Hz, regardless what SW (Graphics card) settings you select so don't worry about damaging anything. If it looks better with a 75Hz setting, than stick to it.

As to the actual reason behind it, I'm at a loss...
April 26, 2007 11:48:53 AM

yup i am using a d-sub connection....
Quote:
In any case, your monitor will not refresh at any rate other than 60Hz

ummmm..... I am not sure whether I understand this....If this is the issue why is a refresh rate other than 60 Hz is mentioned in the display??
also is this true for analog only or for DVI also???
Related resources
April 26, 2007 12:50:28 PM

Quote:
heya,
ok, so I bought viewsonic vg1930wm (19",1440*900, 5 ms). but at the native resolution and a refresh rate of 60 hz, I can notice strange wave like going upwards when the background is white or of very light color. but when I change my refresh rate to 75 hz they disappear. you can see my screen here.
According to the manual, the recommended and supported resolution is 1440*900 at 60 hz, but a selection of 75 hz is still possible in display and it works too.
so the question is: Can I use the refresh rate of 75 hz at 1440*900 or will it damage my screen in the long run or something or is it just a precautionary measure to mention 60 hz in the manual?
thx in advance......

In Display Settings, check the "hide modes this monitor cannot display". If > 60hz is still listed as a choice, you can use it.

However, many, many monitors state "60hz preferred" or is the maximum.

Applies to DVI as well as VGA.
April 26, 2007 12:52:54 PM

Quote:
In Display Settings, check the "hide modes this monitor cannot display". If > 60hz, you can use it.

Its already checked and the option of selecting 75 Hz is there....
thank you once again Hose..... :wink:
Ill enable 75 Hz now.....
!