giga

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2004

What games would be most suitable for a PocketPC enviroment? Obviously it
should be rather short and be more story driven rather than puzzle. Also
strange maps with confusing directions aka maze puzzles would probably want
to be avoided. Thanks for any suggestions.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:59:08 GMT, Giga scrawled:

> What games would be most suitable for a PocketPC enviroment? Obviously
> it should be rather short and be more story driven rather than puzzle.
> Also strange maps with confusing directions aka maze puzzles would
> probably want to be avoided. Thanks for any suggestions.

Twoddle! All IF is equally suitable for handhelds, provided that they
don't rely on certain screen dimensions or have overlong descriptions
(read that as more than one screenfull).

In my experience, the range of games that people like to play on a
handheld is as varied as those played on desktop machines.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.

Rexx Magnus wrote:

> Twoddle! All IF is equally suitable for handhelds, provided that they
> don't rely on certain screen dimensions or have overlong descriptions
> (read that as more than one screenfull).
>
> In my experience, the range of games that people like to play on a
> handheld is as varied as those played on desktop machines.

Absolutely. And the high-res PDAs are even convienient to run games
like Zork Zero (with simple graphics) and Beyond Zork (with its
multi-window interface. And with the small fonts (if your nearsighted
like me) you can display a real screenful.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Paul Drallos" <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote in message
> Rexx Magnus wrote:
>

>> Twoddle! All IF is equally suitable for handhelds, provided that they
>> don't rely on certain screen dimensions or have overlong descriptions
>> (read that as more than one screenfull).
>>
>> In my experience, the range of games that people like to play on a
>> handheld is as varied as those played on desktop machines.
>>

> Absolutely. And the high-res PDAs are even convienient to run games
> like Zork Zero (with simple graphics) and Beyond Zork (with its
> multi-window interface. And with the small fonts (if your nearsighted
> like me) you can display a real screenful.

Your comments are interesting in that I have to disagree with your premise
somewhat. I've attempted spellbreaker and if ever there were a need to map
and take notes spellbreaker was it. Well if I am playing on a pda I do not
want to have to map elsewhere, hence games like that would be out for me.I
was simply looking for some suggestions for some easy small games ideally
suited for such a device and not decension.

Steve wrote:

> Well if I am
> playing on a pda I do not want to have to map elsewhere, hence games
> like that would be out for me.I was simply looking for some
> suggestions for some easy small games ideally suited for such a
> device and not decension.

Oh, I didn't know you were looking for recommendations. Playing on a PDA,
eh? It helps if the map is simple enough to keep in your head. For me, it
also helps if the puzzles aren't too difficult. Some that fit this pretty
well that I have played are:

Being Andrew Plotkin
Photopia
Shrapnel (this has some special stuff that may or may not work on PDA --
haven't tried it)
Rameses
Heroes

.... and I started the Mulldoon (Murders? Legacy? Whichever was first) on my
PDA but haven't finished it. I think that has more to do with outside
factors rather than the fact that it's hard to play on a PDA.

Have fun!

--
Jess K., who hasn't played IF on her PDA in months

Steve wrote:

> Your comments are interesting in that I have to disagree with your premise
> somewhat. I've attempted spellbreaker and if ever there were a need to map
> and take notes spellbreaker was it. Well if I am playing on a pda I do not
> want to have to map elsewhere, hence games like that would be out for me.I
> was simply looking for some suggestions for some easy small games ideally
> suited for such a device and not decension.

I don't understand your comments here. There is no reason that you can't
play a simple IF game on a PDA, if simple games are what you're after.

If you're playing a game for which you *have* to map, that needn't rule
out a PDA either. How is it any easier to map a game on your desktop?

I would argue that it is easier to map on the PDA. For example, you can
press the 'note' button on the front of a T3 and it will open a screen on
which you can draw, as if it were paper. Draw your map. Then press
another button to jump back to CliFrotz (in which your game is running)
and you're right back in the game. Since most desktops and laptops don't
have touch-screens, I would argue that it is actually easier to draw a map
on the PDA and it's with you all the time.

PDAs are are really great for playing IF in bed.

Paul (big fan of IF on PDAs)

Paul Drallos wrote:
> If you're playing a game for which you *have* to map, that needn't
> rule out a PDA either. How is it any easier to map a game on your
> desktop?

For me, it's easier to map a game on my desktop because I have a desk there.
Easy access to paper, pens, etc. When I'm on my PDA, I'm usually not at a
desk. In fact, I've never played IF on my PDA within reach of a laptop or
desktop computer. More often I'm in the car, in a waiting room, or some
other place with no good place to draw on paper.

> I would argue that it is easier to map on the PDA. For example, you
> can press the 'note' button on the front of a T3 and it will open a
> screen on which you can draw, as if it were paper. Draw your map.

Okay, that does sound neat. I still find actual paper easier for drawing,
and my PDA doesn't have a cool program like yours seems to :).

--
Jess K.

A few random thoughts:

- Who needs a map when you've got a Walkthrough in PalmDOC format? :)

- Having played Anchorhead in CliFrotz on a Garmin iQue 3600 GPS that's
*designed* for mapping, I have to say -- it didn't help a bit. <g>

- Kronos does automapping, and does a pretty nice job of it. This is a
feature that CliFrotz and the palm-based Hugo engine could definately
use, and anyone considering porting TADS and/or Glulxe to PalmOS
probably ought to keep this in mind as well.

- In answer to the original post, the only piece of IF that's ever
given me trouble on my Palm is "Theatre", because it refuses to run if
the screen is less than 50 characters wide. Telling CliFrotz to
misrepresent my screen width, starting the game, setting the width back
to what it should be, then saving worked around the problem nicely --
the game doesn't perform the screen-width check again when restoring a
saved game.

I've played everything from LGOP to Zork Zero, Photopia, Shrapnel
(which CliFrotz handles quite nicely), you name it. Mapping never
really seemed to be much of an issue. I just don't do it. *shrug* Never
did on desktop machines either. As mazes of twisty little passages, all
boring, don't really interest me, I'd rather consult a walkthrough for
that portion of the game, then get on with the fun bits.

If you're looking for short games, anything submitted to the IF Comp
would probably suit you. I've found that since I've got the game with
me *all the time*, long games really aren't a big deal. I guess its
tedious if you're not comfortable with textual input on a handheld and
you prefer a keyboard. Doesn't really bother me anymore.

Good luck to you Giga/Steve/Whomever you are. :) I hope you find
something you enjoy.

Brandon

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:53:17 -0500, Paul Drallos <pdrallos@tir.com>
wrote:

>I don't understand your comments here. There is no reason that you can't
>play a simple IF game on a PDA, if simple games are what you're after.

Since I am relatively new to the IF world (except for the infocom
games in my youth) I was simply looking for smaller games to play, esp
those that I need not map or take notes for. As someone suggested
having a walkthrough is another solution.

>If you're playing a game for which you *have* to map, that needn't rule
>out a PDA either. How is it any easier to map a game on your desktop?

I actually map using excel. That way when I need to move the blocks
around I can.

>I would argue that it is easier to map on the PDA. For example, you can
>press the 'note' button on the front of a T3 and it will open a screen on
>which you can draw, as if it were paper. Draw your map. Then press
>another button to jump back to CliFrotz (in which your game is running)
>and you're right back in the game. Since most desktops and laptops don't
>have touch-screens, I would argue that it is actually easier to draw a map
>on the PDA and it's with you all the time.

I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree. A flashdrive
is great for taking your IF with you.

>PDAs are are really great for playing IF in bed.

They are excellent for reading in bed as well (with the lights out).

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:29:49 -0500, "Jess Knoch"
<jessicaknoch@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Oh, I didn't know you were looking for recommendations. Playing on a PDA,
>eh? It helps if the map is simple enough to keep in your head. For me, it
>also helps if the puzzles aren't too difficult. Some that fit this pretty
>well that I have played are:
>
>Being Andrew Plotkin
>Photopia
>Shrapnel (this has some special stuff that may or may not work on PDA --
>haven't tried it)
>Rameses
>Heroes
>
>... and I started the Mulldoon (Murders? Legacy? Whichever was first) on my
>PDA but haven't finished it. I think that has more to do with outside
>factors rather than the fact that it's hard to play on a PDA.
>
>Have fun!

Thanks for all your suggestions I will download these and give them a
try!

Steve

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On 19 Mar 2005 16:06:09 -0800, "Brandon Roberson"
<broberson@gmail.com> wrote:

>A few random thoughts:

>If you're looking for short games, anything submitted to the IF Comp
>would probably suit you. I've found that since I've got the game with
>me *all the time*, long games really aren't a big deal. I guess its
>tedious if you're not comfortable with textual input on a handheld and
>you prefer a keyboard. Doesn't really bother me anymore.

>Good luck to you Giga/Steve/Whomever you are. :) I hope you find
>something you enjoy.
>
>Brandon

Thanks for your comments. I had my user profile set up wrong for the
first post and my name is Steve. Also its a fake email due to all the
spam .

For what its worth I have a PocketPC.

--
STEVE :)

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002

On or about 3/19/2005 12:55 PM, Jess Knoch did proclaim:

> Okay, that does sound neat. I still find actual paper easier for drawing,
> and my PDA doesn't have a cool program like yours seems to :).

Under PalmOS 3.x, I've always used SwitchHack to jump between two apps,
and one of DiddleBug, Pen+, or even Notepad to draw in.