screensaver slow and very unsmooth

i have a brand new laptop with windows xp home and the screensaver is the
last thing i would expect not to work. basically, every screensaver (some
worse than otheres) are spazzy and wont run smoothly. for example:

3d flowerbox - i cant even run preview this on the "select screensaver"
window because it slows up my computer so badly.
starfield - i use this one currently but when it comes on, it doesnt move!
its as though im just sitting there in space, not blasting through it.
marquee - the first letter of text makes it onto the screen and it stops
about there.

what gives??

thanks so much,
kbeck
2 answers Last reply
More about screensaver slow unsmooth

    I would take it back and have them reimage the computer, and if it still
    does it, just get a new one...if it's decently powered...
    "kbeck" <kbeck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i have a brand new laptop with windows xp home and the screensaver is the
    > last thing i would expect not to work. basically, every screensaver (some
    > worse than otheres) are spazzy and wont run smoothly. for example:
    >
    > 3d flowerbox - i cant even run preview this on the "select screensaver"
    > window because it slows up my computer so badly.
    > starfield - i use this one currently but when it comes on, it doesnt move!
    > its as though im just sitting there in space, not blasting through it.
    > marquee - the first letter of text makes it onto the screen and it stops
    > about there.
    >
    > what gives??
    >
    > thanks so much,
    > kbeck

    3D screensavers can use a fair amount of CPU cycles and graphics memory.
    If you bought a inexpensive laptop, you problably are kicking it's teeth
    in with the graphics demand.

    kbeck wrote:

    > i have a brand new laptop with windows xp home and the screensaver is the
    > last thing i would expect not to work. basically, every screensaver (some
    > worse than otheres) are spazzy and wont run smoothly. for example:
    >
    > 3d flowerbox - i cant even run preview this on the "select screensaver"
    > window because it slows up my computer so badly.
    > starfield - i use this one currently but when it comes on, it doesnt move!
    > its as though im just sitting there in space, not blasting through it.
    > marquee - the first letter of text makes it onto the screen and it stops
    > about there.
    >
    > what gives??
    >
    > thanks so much,
    > kbeck