Beavey

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
Hi guys,
I've just bought an LG-GSA4120B dual layer dvd writer, and was very happy as i was under the impression that it wrote everything (+/-, ram) and now I've just heard that i wont be able to burn dvd's and watch them on a dvd player as DVD RAM records in a different way. IS THIS TRUE?

I thought that i would have the option of + , - , or ram and that i would be able to record any format and play it back on a DVD player.

Please could someone clarify this for me.

Thanks
Beavey

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, don't fear added features, ignore them if they scare you!

Your burner does all formats, including ones you can use, and ones you can't use, in stand alone players.

The most compatable format for players is DVD-R. You record those. Don't worry about DVD-RAM if you don't plan on using it.

Let me explain again, your writer does both DVD-R and DVD-RAM, as well as a few other formats. You can record DVD-R on it, and it will play in most stand-alone players. You could also write DVD-RAM, but it would only play in DVD-RAM devices. Since you can do both DVD-R and DVD-RAM, you would choose DVD-R.

Let me put it another way: If you bought a Jeep Liberty because it was a good off-road vehicle, would you fear using it on the highway? This is a dual purpose vehicle! Now why fear a dual-purpose drive?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS