Downloading Freeware Interactive Fiction Games

I've heard that, when a person puts a copyrighted Interactive Fiction
game on the Internet for free download, the person often removes code
from the program. Is this true?
4 answers Last reply
More about downloading freeware interactive fiction games
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    briansipler@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I've heard that, when a person puts a copyrighted Interactive Fiction
    > game on the Internet for free download, the person often removes code
    > from the program. Is this true?

    I've heard that there are some versions of Infocom games on the webs
    which have a bit of the bytecode changed to remove the 'registration
    check' questions that normally required looking something up in the
    manual, but other than that I'd say no.

    BTW, those aren't freeware games just because someone puts them up for
    free download. ;-)

    Michael
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Here, briansipler@yahoo.com <briansipler@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I've heard that, when a person puts a copyrighted Interactive Fiction
    > game on the Internet for free download, the person often removes code
    > from the program. Is this true?

    No.

    --Z

    *
    I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Michael, I downloaded Infocom's A Mind Forever Voyaging for free from
    the Internet, and you're supposed to go to the Moon Colony in the
    Epilogue, but the game ends before you get to the Moon Colony. Do you
    think there's code missing from the version I downloaded?
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    briansipler@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Michael, I downloaded Infocom's A Mind Forever Voyaging for free from
    > the Internet, and you're supposed to go to the Moon Colony in the
    > Epilogue, but the game ends before you get to the Moon Colony. Do you
    > think there's code missing from the version I downloaded?

    I haven't gotten to AMFV yet, so I'm not sure about whether you actually
    go to a Moon Colony in it.

    Try the $VERIFY command; it'll compare a hash of the game file to a
    checksum in the header, which should tell you with reasonable certainty
    whether or not the game file is intact (unless whoever provided it
    deliberately messed with the verify command).

    If $verify tells you that the file is good, you can also look up the
    Release # and Serial # with the VERSION command. You can then verify
    that this is an actual release of the game by checking the Infocom
    version list at http://www.speakeasy.org/~russotto/zplet/ivl.html .
    For AMFV, you should see one of the following if your version is legit:
    Release: 77 Serial: 850814
    Release: 79 Serial: 851122

    Michael

Freeware Games Video Games