[Survey] Interactive Fiction is best in which PDA?

Last response: in Video Games
March 19, 2005 9:54:50 PM

I know this is kind of a subjective question, but i really wanted to
know your opinion on this, since for what i could see common PDA models
(i liked the feel of HP PDA's) cost around 600 Euros and more...

a) Which is the 'best' PDA for playing Interactive Fiction these days?

b) Which PDA Operating System is best supported by IF interpreters?

c) Which PDA processor should i look for?

d) Which display size should i look for?

e) Which should be the minimum amount of RAM the PDA should have, to
play most games (even if only one at a time) and still have room for
other stuff?

f) If you use any already, which model do you have? and more or less how
much did it cost (to make some sort of paralel to the Cost of them in
Portugal in Euros)

Any feedback on this will be great, since it would help me make a final
decision.

Thanks,
RootShell
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 9:54:51 PM

RootShell wrote:

> a) Which is the 'best' PDA for playing Interactive Fiction these
> days?

The one you've got with you. That is, buy what fits your lifestyle the
best, with the features that make it absolutely invaluable to you for
everyday living, and it'll be there in your pocket when you've got the
urge to play IF. The handheld you always leave at home because its too
bulky, too hard to use, or you can't read the screen in bright daylight
-- it's not going to do you any good for playing IF either.

For the best in Graphical gaming, I suggest looking for good emulator
support -- the number of good Gameboy Color games beats the number of
good PalmOS games by an order of magnitude. Super Nintendo, SEGA, etc,
can all be emulated on handheld devices -- and a couple of products are
emulating (to various degrees of sucess) Gameboy Advance titles for
PocketPC and PalmOS platforms.

You probably ought to consider the more mundane aspects as well; your
"To Do" list, addressbook, etc, *is* important. 'nuff said.

> b) Which PDA Operating System is best supported by IF
> interpreters?

>From what I understand, there is a TADS interpreter for Windows Mobile
devices. To the best of my knowledge, nobody's ported TADS to PalmOS
(yet -- wink*). Adrift is Desktop/Windows only, not available for
handhelds, and Hugo is available for both handheld platforms. Z-Machine
interpreters abound for handheld platforms, naturally, just as they do
for their larger desktop cousins, and older things like AGT and Quill
just aren't available for PDAs, probably due to lack of interest.

The Inform *compiler* has been ported to Windows CE - how it fares
under recent Windows Mobile handhelds I couldn't say. A port of the
compiler to PalmOS 5.x devices is currently in testing and should be
released soon. The TADS compiler, I believe, is desktop-only, but a
PocketPC version isn't inconceivable, nor is a port for high-end PalmOS
devices. Neither currently exists, though, and I don't know of any
solid plans to start such a project. I don't know of any other handheld
IF development tools at this time. The Hugo compiler is feasible for
both WinMobile and PalmOS 5, but nobody's working on porting it that I
know of.

Finally, I understand that Windows handhelds (might?) offer some sort
of DOS compaibility mode -- which might allow you to use DOS versions
of your favourite interpreters and compilers and whatnot. Someone with
some experience in that area might want to provide us more information
about it.

> c) Which PDA processor should i look for?

Most things these days (AFAIK) run on ARM-based processors of some
sort, though MIPS and friends are still out there. The CPU that comes
in the PDA that otherwise meets your needs is probably the right one
for you. I wouldn't advise *anybody* to buy a $400 PDA for playing free
IF games. That's just silly, don't you think?

> d) Which display size should i look for?

The largest one you can find that still works for you. You might be
enamored by the Treo 650 cell phone (PalmOS) and the small 320x320
mini-screen is all you want. Or you could prefer to carry around a
plastic brick that runs Windows Mobile 2003 but sports a full VGA
640x480 display. PDAs aren't like computers, where memory, hard drive
space, and available options dictate what you buy. PDAs are supposed to
be carried with you, almost like clothing, and you should shop around
for something that fits your personality and lifestyle like a
professionaly tailored jacket fits you body.

> e) Which should be the minimum amount of RAM the PDA should
> have, to play most games (even if only one at a time) and
> still have room for other stuff?

RAM's not usually a big concern. Either the interpreter works for a
given handheld or it doesn't. TADS on PalmOS 2.0 just wouldn't happen
-- it needs more memory than those devices provided. Get as much usable
RAM as you can. The PalmOne Tungsten T5, for example, has 256MB of RAM,
but most of it is used to emulate a $30 USB flash drive -- which I
consider to be kind of dumb when you can swap 1GB SD cards in and out
of the thing all day long. The older T3 has more usable RAM than any
other PalmOS device on the market, 64Mb. Get as much as you can and
keep in mind that two-weeks after you buy one, something better will
probably come out. :)

> f) If you use any already, which model do you have? and
> more or less how much did it cost (to make some sort of
> paralel to the Cost of them in Portugal in Euros)

I'm using a PalmOne Tungsten T3, and you'd have to pry it out of my
cold, dead hands to get it away from me. The PalmOne Zire 72 has a
built in camera, in lieu of the larger screen, but I've got a $50
digital camera that does just as good of a job. My T3 has 11Mb of heap
RAM available (which is the RAM programs use while they're running,
rather than the RAM used to store programs like a hard-drive), a
320x480 high-res screen, decent sound capabilities. Its the best on the
market, as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't trade it for a T5 or a Treo
650, or any of the things that've come out since. I play SNES games,
Gameboy/GBC
games, etc, using a free emulator. MP3 playback, voice recording.
Bluetooth. WiFi is available from PalmOne via a $120 add-on SDIO card.
And, of course, there are thousands of 3rd-party apps that run on
PalmOS. I'm particularly fond of my video player -- watching full
length movies from my SD card is awfully fun.

Last I saw, CompUSA had Tungsten T3's for $299.

My next choice would be the Tapwave Zodiac 2, as it's only a bit
slower, is a bit larger to carry around, has some really awesome games
and emulators, and still handles the normal PDA stuff. Still, it looks
like a handheld game console, and that's rather awkward to explain in
meetings. Lifestyle thing, y'know?

I've never liked the feel of Windows handhelds -- what works great on
the desktop just doesn't work for me in my pocket. Some people swear by
them, and that's good, but I can't really offer any information about
them to you. Hopefully someone who's used Windows handhelds for a while
will respond as well, giving you feedback from that angle.

> Any feedback on this will be great, since it would help
> me make a final decision.

In the end, nothing's really "better" -- its up to you to determine
what fits you best. Some newsgroups might degenerate into a handheld
platform Holy War at this point; I'm glad we're discussing this in rgif
instead. :)

If you've got Palm-related questions, I'll be happy to answer them for
you, or to try to direct you to someone who can. I really hope someone
can give you a detailed look at things from the Windows side as well,
as the more you know before you decide, the happier you're likely to be
with your choice.

Best of luck!
Brandon
March 19, 2005 11:02:27 PM

On or about 3/19/2005 12:54 PM, RootShell did proclaim:

> I know this is kind of a subjective question, but i really wanted to
> know your opinion on this, since for what i could see common PDA models
> (i liked the feel of HP PDA's) cost around 600 Euros and more...

I've always been partial to PalmOS, owning about half-a-dozen old PDAs
that all run PalmOS 3.x on the Motorola Dragonball processor. These
will run most if not all of the Z-machine games (I'm unsure about .z6).

Text wraps to fit the screen, so resolution only matters for a few games
that pop-up quote boxes which fall off the sides of the screen.

PalmOS 3 devices are pretty much obsolete, but you can find them on eBay
pretty cheap and they still work as well as ever.
March 19, 2005 11:04:15 PM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:54:50 GMT, RootShell scrawled:

> I know this is kind of a subjective question, but i really wanted to
> know your opinion on this, since for what i could see common PDA models
> (i liked the feel of HP PDA's) cost around 600 Euros and more...
>
> a) Which is the 'best' PDA for playing Interactive Fiction these days?

I'd say that one with a small keyboard (palm?) would probably be the best
bet - but other than that, anything with an onscreen keyboard is fine.
I found wince/pocketpc to be the easiest OS with regards uploading the
games etc.

I play games quite happily on my O2 XDA (HTC Wallaby)

> b) Which PDA Operating System is best supported by IF interpreters?

As above.

> c) Which PDA processor should i look for?

Look up interpreters, see which one is supported by most of those that you
find. I think mine is an SH3, but both MIPS and the other major one seem
to be supported.

> d) Which display size should i look for?

240x320 is standard for palm sized, but you can get higher resolutions
now.

> e) Which should be the minimum amount of RAM the PDA should have, to
> play most games (even if only one at a time) and still have room for
> other stuff?

I think the average minimum (is there such a thing) is probably >8mb -
which would be fine. A lot of PDA's can take memory cards of various types
if you need to add room.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 1:30:33 AM

RootShell <---RootShell@netcabo.pt---> writes:

> I know this is kind of a subjective question, but i really wanted to
> know your opinion on this, since for what i could see common PDA models
> (i liked the feel of HP PDA's) cost around 600 Euros and more...

I think Brandon hit it best .. buy what you need. Consider what
your friends have as well, so they can assist and do program reocmmendations
and such. ie: Presumably you're not buying a PDA just for IF.. if you are,
be sure to include the Sharp Zaurus in your criterion ;)

That said, I have some favourites. Now bear in mind I do a lot of
PDA development (freeware and shareware) and sell softare for Palm OS
(my preferred platform) so I'm biased perhaps. I do development for
Pocket PC and others as well though :)  I also write Kronos (ZMachine,
Magnetic Scrolls and Scott Adams IF for Palm OS).

For Magnetic Scrolls, Kronos is your ronly mobile option and thats
Palm OS; for Scott Adams, I Think Kronos is it as well. For Hugo and Tags,
there are Pocket PC versions and none for Palm OS. Theres no Level 9 yet
for either. Zaurus is a Linux machine and so has "straight ports" of
common unix apps such as Frotz, but they work like desktop apps so may
not be so PDA-ized.

Palm OS has a few interpretersw for ZMachine; Kronos, CliFrotz,
Frobnitz, Frotz. Varying features so you can chose what you like. For Pocket
PC there are a couple, but most aren't really good .. they're not so well
PDAized. ie: FrotzCE works pretty well on low-res (normal res 240x320)
Pocket PC devices, but is a little clunky on VGA (newer devices, 480x640).
I think its under featured compared to Palm OS variations.. ie: Its fairly
barebones, while Palm OS interps tend to have a lot of PDA-specific
features such as lots of wordlists and butotn bars for movement etc.
ie: A lot more writing (with the stylus) on a Pocket PC device.

So for ZMachine, Magnetic Scrolls and ScottAdams, I'd say Palm OS
clearly wins (but read above for rational, as you may not agree :)  For
Hugo and Tags, Pocket PC clearly wins out. I can't comment too much about
Zaurus except it has most of the desktop interpreters.

Kronos, Frobnitz, Frotz work well on Treo 600 phone (they can handle
low res and ithas a keyboard); the high res devices (most devices these days)
such as Zodiac, Tungsten C, Tungsten 3 or 5, etc run everything very nicely
and CliFrotz has ZMachine graphic support which is sharp. Tungsten C
has 802.11 and keyboard so a good choice, but also the Sony UX50 clamshell
is a landscape (wide) high res with keyboard and 802.11 and bluetooth so
a nice device for IF, but discontinued. (Sony exited the PDA market)
I'd say top machines for Palm OS are PalmOne Tungsten series, the
T|T3 or T|T5 or T|C models, and the smartphones Treo 600 and Treo 650.
(I personally like T|T3 and Treo's best). On the Pocket PC side theres
fewer options for neweer devives these days, but I'd suggest the Dell Axim
series (such as X50v for VGA gorgeous screen, or perhaps the X50mid for
normal res but super fast device.)

There, far too much info, but feel free to write me at
skeezix@codejedi.com if you have questions..

See my Kronos project here:
http://www.codejedi.com/shadowplan/kronos.html

Oh, and I don't think anyone has ported Inform to Pocket PC for
creating new IF, though a port is nearly ready for Palm OS; it should be an
easy port to Pocket PC though, but I don't think anyone has done it yet.

jeff

"Have you played Atari today?"
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 1:32:05 AM

Rexx Magnus <trashcan@uk2.net> writes:

> I'd say that one with a small keyboard (palm?) would probably be the best
> bet - but other than that, anything with an onscreen keyboard is fine.
> I found wince/pocketpc to be the easiest OS with regards uploading the
> games etc.
>
> I play games quite happily on my O2 XDA (HTC Wallaby)

Thats a Pocket PC device?
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 1:44:34 AM

RootShell wrote in news:423c766e$0$28396$a729d347@news.telepac.pt:

> I know this is kind of a subjective question, but i really wanted
> to know your opinion on this, since for what i could see common
> PDA models (i liked the feel of HP PDA's) cost around 600 Euros
> and more...

<snipped questions I have no answer for>

> f) If you use any already, which model do you have? and more or
> less how much did it cost (to make some sort of paralel to the
> Cost of them in Portugal in Euros)

I have a PalmOne Treo 600, which cost me the equivalent of 480 Euro.
It's a "smartphone", so the screen is smallish (about 5x5cm) and low
res (160x160 IIRC) but it has a tiny qwerty keyboard. I've found
Frobnitz to be very useable on it.

I've never owned another PDA (or another mobile phone for that matter)
so I've nothing to compare to, but I'm happy with it.

Rikard
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 4:10:12 AM

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Palm OS; for Scott Adams, I Think Kronos is it as well. For Hugo and
Tags,
> there are Pocket PC versions and none for Palm OS. Theres no Level 9
yet

Hiya Jeff. Just a heads-up; Kent Tessman *did* port his Hugo engine to
PalmOS. You can find it here:

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/programming/hugo/ex...

The source is also available, and compiles very nicely in Codewarrior
9.3. To the best of my knowlege, he's the first person to create an IF
development system of his own, and port it to PalmOS, PocketPC, AND
BeOS. Major props to Ken!

That said, the PalmOS port of Hugo doesn't do graphics and sound -- its
a m68k app. An updated ARM-native app with sound and graphics support
(MPEG, anyone?) would rock. :)  You write the interpreter, I'll port the
compiler? <big friggin' grin>

Laterz.
Brandon
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 11:42:36 AM

I'm with Brandon regarding the Palm T3. "...pry it from my cold dead hands.

The T3 has a nice big hi-res screen that closes down into a small package for easy carrying. Putting the screen in landscape mode and small type gives you about 120 characters per line. (Don't quote me because I haven't counted them in a while.) CliFrotz offers graphic support for Z6 games and a large enough window to run the multi-paned Beyond Zork interface. Meanwhile, Kronos offers support for Z-machine and other some other game platforms (I forget, because I have only used it for Z-machine)

The lack of keyboard is not a big deal at all. Most of the terps allow you to tap a word anywhere on the screen to clone it on the input line, plus they all offer easy one-touch menu for common commands, directions and ability to define your own frequently used commands. I find it to actually be easier than a desktop.

As Brandon further noted, a port of the Inform interperter is soon to be released for the PalmOS. I have been privileged to be one of the testers for it. It is so cool to be able to sit in bed while testing your own game, find a bug, make changes, compile it and then go on testing. All in the Palm of your hand.

I think the T3 is around $300.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 2:24:06 PM

Rexx Magnus <trashcan@uk2.net> writes:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:33:30 GMT, Jeff Mitchell scrawled:
>
> > The XDA is a pocket pc phone if memory serves? Which IF
> > interpreters are you using there? I've not found many good ones for the
> > Pocket PC platform (see my longer reply)
>
> ZipCE for PocketPC v1.6e Is what I'm running. It seems quite solid for the
> most part. It doesn't like my game (Mingsheng) however - probably due to
> some of the opcodes I've used.
>
> There was another one as well, but I can't remember what it's called, as I
> don't use it anymore.

I found it hard to find a stable interp and no luck so far for
my device (VGA); ie: FrotzZE is hard to locate at all and a few years old.
ZipCE seams to be the most current but I find it lacks some of what
I'd like (perhaps I'm ovely hard on it :) , and it doesn't like VGA too much.
ie: It scrolls a line per half second on my device (Dell Axim X50v) so when
4 or 5 lines come out, it takes a few seconds to get them.. ugh :)  Its also
using low res display.. I'll have to try and mess with resources and see if
I can get it to come up in a high res display and see if it works. (ie: Fonts
are all pixelated and not using the VGA smoothing.)

(Mostly I'm just a snob .. I want some of Kronos features, so I'll
have to try and locate ZipCE source and add them in ;)  ie: tap-on-a-word
shouldn't just insert the word into the buffer, but offer up options. I've
got it so tap on a word pops up a list such as "Examine WORD" and "Get WORD"
and such, so you can almost play entirely without writing, just tapping away.
Handy for a PDA.)

Hmm, no source on his website; is ZIP a GPL or open source app?

One of these days I'll have to write a Glk frontend :p

jeff

"Have you played Atari today?"
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 3:10:06 PM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:32:05 GMT, Jeff Mitchell scrawled:

> Rexx Magnus <trashcan@uk2.net> writes:
>
>> I'd say that one with a small keyboard (palm?) would probably be the
>> best bet - but other than that, anything with an onscreen keyboard is
>> fine. I found wince/pocketpc to be the easiest OS with regards
>> uploading the games etc.
>>
>> I play games quite happily on my O2 XDA (HTC Wallaby)
>
> Thats a Pocket PC device?

Yup, running 2002 IIRC.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:19:35 AM

Rexx Magnus wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:54:50 GMT, RootShell scrawled:
>

>>I know this is kind of a subjective question, but i really wanted to
>>know your opinion on this, since for what i could see common PDA models
>>(i liked the feel of HP PDA's) cost around 600 Euros and more...

I do just fine on an old Palm with 2mb of memory, a monochrome screen,
and no keyboard. The ability to play IF really shouldn't be your
deciding factor; I doubt that there's a real PDA out there that can't.
Although slower processors may have a noticeable delay between entering
a command and getting a response.

>>a) Which is the 'best' PDA for playing Interactive Fiction these days?
>

> I'd say that one with a small keyboard (palm?) would probably be the best
> bet - but other than that, anything with an onscreen keyboard is fine.
> I found wince/pocketpc to be the easiest OS with regards uploading the
> games etc.

I'd say the onscreen keyboard is optional too. Frobnitz's word context
menus are surprisingly useful for most things. And besides, IF is about
the best way around to learn to use Graffiti.

Michael
March 21, 2005 10:58:42 AM

"Jeff Mitchell" <skeezix@fw.skeleton.org> wrote in message

> (Mostly I'm just a snob .. I want some of Kronos features, so I'll
> have to try and locate ZipCE source and add them in ;)  ie: tap-on-a-word
> shouldn't just insert the word into the buffer, but offer up options. I've
> got it so tap on a word pops up a list such as "Examine WORD" and "Get
> WORD"
> and such, so you can almost play entirely without writing, just tapping
> away.
> Handy for a PDA.)

Ive been using pocketFrotz as it does not exhibit the slow behavior that you
mention. Its pretty good, but I would love to have some of Kronos
functionality. i think that added functionality would allow me to play more
IF on my pocketpc.

> jeff

> "Have you played Atari today?"
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:35:28 PM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:54:50 +0000, RootShell <---RootShell@netcabo.pt--->
wrote:

>I know this is kind of a subjective question, but i really wanted to
>know your opinion on this, since for what i could see common PDA models
>(i liked the feel of HP PDA's) cost around 600 Euros and more...
>
>a) Which is the 'best' PDA for playing Interactive Fiction these days?

Can't say which is 'best', since I've only used one, but the Psion 5mx (now
sadly a dead end) is ideal for me.

It has an excellent keyboard, and the screen is the right orientation for
reading lots of text (e.g. 70 chars wide by 18 lines amongst other sizes).

It runs Frotz for Z-machine games (never tried .Z6 games), and a TADS-2
interpreter (although non-HTML only I think). There's also an Alan
interpreter available, although I've hardly used it.

It's also fully multi-tasking (as I _believe_ PalmOS isn't), so you can
flip between the game and a word-processor file where you can keep game
notes, record beta-testing thoughts etc. (With Z-machine games, I can
cut-and-paste text from the game to the word-processor, which is even more
convenient).

Because of the convenience of being able to play "where ever you happen to
be at the time", I play IF almost exclusively on my Psion, and very rarely
play on a desktop.

Regards,
March 21, 2005 2:00:37 PM

I've had great pleasure using Frotz on my Psion 5. (8 mb of memory)
They don't make them anymore, but you can probably get one off ebay.
Mine cost 30 pounds, + 10 pounds for the cable, including postage and
packaging. Big screen, nice keyboard.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:39:26 PM

"Steve" <vw@vw.com> writes:

> > (Mostly I'm just a snob .. I want some of Kronos features, so I'll
> > have to try and locate ZipCE source and add them in ;)  ie: tap-on-a-word
> > shouldn't just insert the word into the buffer, but offer up options. I've
> > got it so tap on a word pops up a list such as "Examine WORD" and "Get
> > WORD"
> > and such, so you can almost play entirely without writing, just tapping
> > away.
> > Handy for a PDA.)
>
> Ive been using pocketFrotz as it does not exhibit the slow behavior that you
> mention. Its pretty good, but I would love to have some of Kronos
> functionality. i think that added functionality would allow me to play more
> IF on my pocketpc.

PocketFrotz eh? Do you have a pointer to it? (I didn't check the
IF-archive.. doh!) Perhaps I should modify one of these guys to have what
I like ;)  (At the same time, I'm already far overloaded with projects, so
this alone makes me keep using some of my other devices :p )

jeff

"Have you played Atari today?"
March 21, 2005 7:51:43 PM

On 21 Mar 2005 14:39:26 -0500, Jeff Mitchell <skeezix@fw.skeleton.org>
wrote:

> PocketFrotz eh? Do you have a pointer to it? (I didn't check the
>IF-archive.. doh!) Perhaps I should modify one of these guys to have what
>I like ;)  (At the same time, I'm already far overloaded with projects, so
>this alone makes me keep using some of my other devices :p )
>
> jeff

Jeff,

Try
http://ifarchive.jmac.org/if-archive/infocom/interprete...

There is also sourcecode available for it, and it works well on my
Axim, except its not smart enough to give multiple commands the way
Kronus is. Now I need to find some time to play some of the games...

Steve
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:21:11 AM

Graham Holden <look@bottom.of.post> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:54:50 +0000, RootShell <---RootShell@netcabo.pt--->
> wrote:
>
> >I know this is kind of a subjective question, but i really wanted to
> >know your opinion on this, since for what i could see common PDA models
> >(i liked the feel of HP PDA's) cost around 600 Euros and more...
> >
> >a) Which is the 'best' PDA for playing Interactive Fiction these days?
>
> Can't say which is 'best', since I've only used one, but the Psion 5mx (now
> sadly a dead end) is ideal for me.

Ditto for the Psion Revo for me. Good luck getting one now, though.

Richard
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:49:43 PM

I would like to thank you all for the good/fast/personal feedback on
this, but unfortunately fate always gets the best and due to a car
malfunction i will have to spend around €950 in car repair, leaving the
PDA issue for later :(

Your feedback led me to the models T3 (which i liked) and T5.

As said before, i'll have to wait until a can spare some extra cash for
the PDA, since right now, some of my personal savings has to go to my
car workshop (sadly).

Thanks once again,
RootShell
!