RAM configuration on A7N8X-E Deluxe

SanLorenso

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
This mobo has 3 slots for RAM (A1,A2 & B1). The mobo manual says that I can put in 3 sticks and get dual channel - I thought that duall channel always had to be in pairs and do the 3 sticks have to be of the same capacity?

i.e. If I put 2 sticks of 256 in now, can I get another stick of 512 later and still get the dual channel feature as long as the RAM specs are the same for the 3 sticks?

I'm currently testing the system with PC3200 DDR 400Mhz CL 3. Sandra reports the RAM as CL2.5 - how can that be.

Specs:
AXP 2800+ barton
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
FSB 173Mhz

Thanks.

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
This mobo has 3 slots for RAM (A1,A2 & B1). The mobo manual says that I can put in 3 sticks and get dual channel - I thought that duall channel always had to be in pairs and do the 3 sticks have to be of the same capacity?
The flexibility of this chipset allow for dual channel as long as there is memory in both channels (A & B). If 3 dimms are installed, dual-channel is in effect. Wouldn't have to be the same capacity.
If I put 2 sticks of 256 in now, can I get another stick of 512 later and still get the dual channel feature ...?
Yes. Best to balance memory across both channels so put the 256MB sticks in A1&A2 and the 512MB in B1. RAM specs wouldn't have to be matched exactly.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dual Channel for that chipset doesn't mean "dual channel" in the traditional sense, instead of tying the channels together for 128-bit transfers it uses two independant channels simultaniously, and that explains why it works with mismatched modules and both 2's and 3's.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SanLorenso

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Help me with my confusion. Does that mean that I don't have to purchase RAM that comes in matched pairs (dual channel) like I have to for an Intel mobo like in a Dell? I can just buy regular PC3200 DDR 400 Mhz RAM?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll want high quality RAM, like Crucial, for stability. No need to buy them in pairs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>