RAM configuration on A7N8X-E Deluxe

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Dual Channel
  • Configuration
Last response: in Memory
November 5, 2004 2:40:00 PM

This mobo has 3 slots for RAM (A1,A2 & B1). The mobo manual says that I can put in 3 sticks and get dual channel - I thought that duall channel always had to be in pairs and do the 3 sticks have to be of the same capacity?

i.e. If I put 2 sticks of 256 in now, can I get another stick of 512 later and still get the dual channel feature as long as the RAM specs are the same for the 3 sticks?

I'm currently testing the system with PC3200 DDR 400Mhz CL 3. Sandra reports the RAM as CL2.5 - how can that be.

Specs:
AXP 2800+ barton
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
FSB 173Mhz

Thanks.

More about : ram configuration a7n8x deluxe

November 5, 2004 4:24:00 PM

Quote:
This mobo has 3 slots for RAM (A1,A2 & B1). The mobo manual says that I can put in 3 sticks and get dual channel - I thought that duall channel always had to be in pairs and do the 3 sticks have to be of the same capacity?

The flexibility of this chipset allow for dual channel as long as there is memory in both channels (A & B). If 3 dimms are installed, dual-channel is in effect. Wouldn't have to be the same capacity.
Quote:
If I put 2 sticks of 256 in now, can I get another stick of 512 later and still get the dual channel feature ...?

Yes. Best to balance memory across both channels so put the 256MB sticks in A1&A2 and the 512MB in B1. RAM specs wouldn't have to be matched exactly.
a b } Memory
November 5, 2004 9:25:21 PM

Dual Channel for that chipset doesn't mean "dual channel" in the traditional sense, instead of tying the channels together for 128-bit transfers it uses two independant channels simultaniously, and that explains why it works with mismatched modules and both 2's and 3's.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
November 5, 2004 9:43:00 PM

Help me with my confusion. Does that mean that I don't have to purchase RAM that comes in matched pairs (dual channel) like I have to for an Intel mobo like in a Dell? I can just buy regular PC3200 DDR 400 Mhz RAM?
a b } Memory
November 5, 2004 10:29:02 PM

You'll want high quality RAM, like Crucial, for stability. No need to buy them in pairs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>