Computer shutdown

Help, When I shutdown my computer it starts the normal sequence, but
hangs up with the message "Windows is shutting down" it never turns
off unless power is interupted. I am also unable to do a system
restore due to improper shutdown. I am unable to load new programs
on the computer, but can run them from the CD. All other aspects of
the computer seem to work fine. Any thoughts?

unrepper

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

try booting into the recovery console using your XP cd and running CHKDSK /R
if there is still and issue try this. Run the System File Checker.
(Start | Run: sfc /scannow) SFC will compare each WinXP operating system
file with the "known good" copy held in your on-disk cache and replace any
missing or corrupted ones. Have your WinXP CD-ROM handy; SFC probably will
need to see that.
--
Don Kendrick