jlpicard1413

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
I have bought the above DVD_RW after reading the latest copy of Computer Shopper in the UK where it turnes out as the best in a group of similar DVD-RWs. A big step for me really - buying the DVD_RW I mean. Anyway I installed it in the usual way and found that it played CDs OK, but didn't recognise DVDs. So I e-mailed NEC Technical Support who said I needed the software e.g Power DVD- or similar - to play DVDs, and Nero 6 (or similar) to burn CDs/DVDs ...so I now have Nero 6 suite 3 installed - updated to version 6.6.0.1 and I am under the impression that Nero Showtime is equivalent to Power DVD or similar and is all I need to play DVD movies (I'm not even getting into whether it will burn DVDs - all I want at the moment is to play DVDs)- but it doesn't work, so NEC support say the DVD laser is not working - would others please back this up ... another point, I can't even view the contents of a DVD in Windows Explorer.
Thanks
JLP

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I have the same drive but none of the problems. I've backed up several movies using AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 with Ritek G04 DVD-R disks.

If I were you I would RMA the drive for a new one.

....WW (5.0)