new version of All Things Devours

Dear all,

To coincide with the xyzzy awards, I have released the second version of
All Things Devours. It fixes the known bugs and makes many small
improvements (in fact I think I adopted every single recommendation from
the reviews and personal comments). It also moves one of the key objects
to a different location in order to make one part of the puzzle a little
more satisfying (but a touch harder).

There is also a special challenge for those who liked the game and wish
that they could make it last a little longer. It is activated by typing
'challenge' at the prompt, and makes three additional changes to the
game which constrict your options just that little bit more, meaning
that you will most probably have to find different ways of going about
your task. This is not at all required to successfully complete the game,
it is just for those who want a little more. For those who are
interested, the challenge is a 'sub-game' of All Things Devours in the
sense that every solution to it is a solution to the normal game.

I have also released the source code (in Inform). If you are curious as
to how I did things in the game, then hopefully you will be enlightened.
Being my first Inform program however, it is not as neat as one might
hope. Both the code and compiled z5 game are released in the public
domain, so feel free to copy them and modify them. Indeed, if someone
else made a similar time travel game then I would be delighted, finally
getting a chance to work it out for myself.

http://devours.amirrorclear.net/

Cheers,
half sick of shadows.

In <20050322011745799+0000@news.ox.ac.uk> half wrote:

> To coincide with the xyzzy awards, I have released the second version
> of All Things Devours. It fixes the known bugs and makes many small
> improvements (in fact I think I adopted every single recommendation
> from the reviews and personal comments). It also moves one of the key
> objects to a different location in order to make one part of the
> puzzle a little more satisfying (but a touch harder).
>
> http://devours.amirrorclear.net/

It has been pointed out to me that in making certain actions (such as
'Look') take no time, I have introduced a bug where lighting a room
takes no time. This is a problem in itself in such a time critical game,
but it turns out that it also invalidated a check for inconsistencies,
meaning that you could succeed where you should not be able to. I have
fixed this and the new source code and z5 file are on my website. If any
more bugs are found, do let me know.

Also, since the timing has changed a little bit, the walkthroughs have
also been updated.

Cheers,
half sick of shadows.