Just wondering, what is the reason that the Zork Trilogy i..

Two parts, actually. And I DID search for an answer, but didn't see it.

1)Obviously everyone knows by now that Zork I-III are currently
freely-downloadable. Is there a reason that they aren't at the archive?
Or is it just that there's no fear of ever losing track of them, and
they're easily found everywhere?

2)Is the "freely-downloadable" part only for those exact versions? I
actually bought the Zork Anthology after they were released this way,
and it still didn't have the V5 Solid Gold version of Zork I (the disk
also had Planetfall, also V3). I got the patch and everything was
gravy, but I wonder why this superior version isn't the one shoved
everywhere. I understand that most people didn't get that the "Solid
Gold" meant totally re-vamped with on-line hints etc., but does
Activision know? Is the V5 version distributable too? If so, putting it
on the internet would make it easier to get (when both release 88 and
the patch are downloadable). It's really two extremes as far as
Infocom's parser and UI.

It seems likely to me that Activision looked at release # instead of
date, as the V5 version is release 52 for some reason.

I am at this point very unsure of that. "Good lookin-out," as the kids
say. Sorry I didn't see your earlier post.

Here, JohnnyMrNinja <JohnnyMrNinja@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Two parts, actually. And I DID search for an answer, but didn't see it.

(Findable from <http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search>)

Please read.

> 1)Obviously everyone knows by now that Zork I-III are currently
> freely-downloadable.

Are you sure of that? Activision offered them for free download
several years ago, when _Zork Grand Inquisitor_ was coming out. As far
as I know, they were withdrawn from Activision's site a few months
later.

In any case, you can't download arbitrary files from Activision and
upload them to the Archive. See above-referenced post.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.