Sign in with
Your question

maxtor ata 133

Last response: in Storage
November 7, 2004 12:25:59 AM

hi.ive built a new computer athlon64 2800+,i have an ata 133 maxtor 8mb cache hard drive.the system is already up and running.i have a soltek motherboard that supports 4 hard drives and ata150,um i tried a serielle connector to the drive an connected it to a sata chanel,it was recognized but the performance was slower,also an icon popped up on the task bar saying to pick a drive to stop,i couldnt get it to go away.,an since performance wasnt faster i put it back on the original channel.I originally bought the drive so i could try sata 150.its suppossed to be faster,well you can see where this is going,any help would be great.ty

More about : maxtor ata 133

November 7, 2004 3:28:20 AM

I don't know how "slow" your drive is, but SATA 150 drives are generally limitted to around 35-65MB/s. ATA133 drives on the other hand are only limitted to around 35-65MB/s. And ATA100 drives put out a pathetic 35-65MB/s.

You see a trend here? It's because the drive mechanics simply aren't fast enough to fill the bus. Most 7200RPM drives are around 60-65MB/s at the start of the drive and 30-35MB/s at the end, it doesn't matter what interface card they attach to the bottom.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 7, 2004 5:01:32 PM

sorry not sure if i follow so far.you saying basically they all run at 35-65 MB/s.ata i thought by using a serielle cable with an ata 133 id get 150. i gave you the specs on the drive maxtor plus 9 ata133 8mb cache.i used the serille cable and i got an icon on the task bar asking which one i want to stop when their was only1.it did recognize the drive but semmed somehow slower.should i enable something in the bios and try again?does raid have anything to do with serielle cable connection to the mainboard?mabe im missing your point.thanks anyway
Related resources
November 7, 2004 5:41:32 PM

So does this mean that regardless of how fast the data is sent out of the hard drive that is still faces the same bottleneck which would be the BUS?
November 7, 2004 5:43:38 PM

I just thought about the question I asked you. I had backwards didnt I? The Bus doesnt limit anything, the Drive mechanics are the bottleneck.
November 7, 2004 9:42:16 PM

As you said, the drive mechanics are the bottleneck.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 7, 2004 9:46:59 PM

Specifications like ATA100, ATA133, and SATA150 are theoretical limits for the bus itself, there aren't any hard drives that can transmit data that fast.

It's like having a bunch of mopeds (aka 49cc scooters) on a 55MPH road, the limit of the road may be misleading because the scooters only go 30MPH.

Of course you can modify a scooter to go 45MPH, but hard drives are already running at their maximum in comparison.

!