HD only works as a Slave! Why?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I have a Western Digital 30GB IDE HD that works fine as a slave, but I can't get it to work by itself in CS or MS. I also tried it as the Primary drive in CS and MS and it gets to the screen that gives you the F10 Bios option and then hangs up on a black Dos looking screen with nothing but a blinking cursor. What would cause the drive to work fine as a slave but not as a Master. BTW I have checked , and double checked the jumper settings. Thanks in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mozzartusm on 11/06/04 10:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a Western Digital drive. Single means NO JUMPER, it's a different setting than "Master with Slave attached". CS only works if the master is the last drive on an ATA66-ATA133 cable and the CS slave is the middle drive on that cable.

So there are a lot of things you can screw up, such as the type of cable, position of drive on the cable, etc. And with WD there's one more thing you can screw up: Single and Master are two completely different settings for WD.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks I did not realize that. I will try some of those settings. Is Sinlge what you would you when it is used by itself? I know that stands to reason, but I thought that you could set the jumpers to master when using only one drive. Just to make sure I understand with the cable itself. If using a cable with two drive connections when only using one drive, would you connect the single drvie on the end of the cable?
I think you already anwered that question, im just making sure that I have got it.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mozzartusm on 11/07/04 09:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, Single is when you have the drive by itself. Your reasoning that you could set it to master even with one drive would work with any other drive except Western Digital. Which is why the fact your drive is Western Digital is so important.

Yes, if you're using Cable Select you're supposed to put the drive on the end of your 2-drive cable, even if it's by itself. That's because there's a wire cut between the middle and end connector that helps BIOS determine what position you're using.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You solved that problem as usual, thanks! Here is one that popped up since then. I don't think it will be so easy though. I have always used my Maxtor 10GB as my Master HD. The WD 30 GB was always my Slave. I forgot about this until now, but for some reason the Maxtor 10GB does weird things when used by itself. For instance, when I click a link there is a pause before you here the click and it starts loading. Much slower than when another drive is used as slave. I dont know if this next issue is related, but I noticed it after going to the Maxtor by itself. When I signed onto this forum, I could see the (new) icon beside my post, but when I would go into it I xouldnt see the new thread. When I would go back into the flat mode It still showed a new reply, but the only way I sould get it to show up is if I changed over to threaded mode. I dont know what is going on with this. Any thoughts?