IF Promotional CD, Spring 2005

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

It is time.

I am in the final stages of compiling the 2005 IF Promotional CD.

I have added all of the XYZZY Award winners and the top three games
from the 2004 IF Competition.

I would now like to entertain nominations to be included in the CD. The
original list of games is at:

http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/IF_Promotional_CD%2C_August_2004_Edition

I am adding:

Blue Chairs, The Fire Tower, The Dreamhold, Sting of the Wasp, All
Things Devours, Necrotic Drift, and Luminous Horizon.

What else should I add? Maybe one or two of the finalists from the
Xyzzies? Maybe another game that was released 2004? Or maybe a classic
game that isn't in the current image?

The only requirement is that the author authorizes inclusion on the
promotional CD image (downloadable only from the archive).

David C.
6 answers Last reply
More about promotional spring 2005
  1. Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    ChicagoDave wrote:
    > What else should I add? Maybe one or two of the finalists from the
    > Xyzzies? Maybe another game that was released 2004? Or maybe a classic
    > game that isn't in the current image?

    Some of my all-time favorites that I would suggest...

    Little Blue Men and Anchorhead by Michael Gentry
    Heroine's Mantle by Andy Phillips
    Isle of the Cult by Rune Berg
    Balances by Graham Nelson
    She's Got a Thing for a Spring by Brent Van Fossen
    Tapestry and Slouching Towards Bedlam by Daniel Ravipinto
    Ditch Day Drifter and Return to Ditch Day by Mike Roberts
    A Day for Soft Food by Todd Levi
    Not Just an Ordinary Ballerina by Jim Fisher
    Christminster by Gareth Rees

    Jimmy
  2. Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    This looks like a very kewl idea. I'm curious to know what non-game
    material you're putting into this CD - how you're actually explaining IF
    to newbies, how you're easing their plunge into the wonderful world of
    parsing. A guide to what the different games are, which are best to
    start with, hints for IF in general and for individual games, all seem
    practically essential.

    --Ziv

    ChicagoDave wrote:
    > It is time.
    >
    > I am in the final stages of compiling the 2005 IF Promotional CD.
    >
    > I have added all of the XYZZY Award winners and the top three games
    > from the 2004 IF Competition.
    >
    > I would now like to entertain nominations to be included in the CD. The
    > original list of games is at:
    >
    > http://www.ifwiki.org/index.php/IF_Promotional_CD%2C_August_2004_Edition
    >
    > I am adding:
    >
    > Blue Chairs, The Fire Tower, The Dreamhold, Sting of the Wasp, All
    > Things Devours, Necrotic Drift, and Luminous Horizon.
    >
    > What else should I add? Maybe one or two of the finalists from the
    > Xyzzies? Maybe another game that was released 2004? Or maybe a classic
    > game that isn't in the current image?
    >
    > The only requirement is that the author authorizes inclusion on the
    > promotional CD image (downloadable only from the archive).
    >
    > David C.

  3. Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Just to be perverse, I mention Strong Bad's IF game (the worst
    text-adventure ever), introduced in:

    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail94.html

    The comments that Strong Bad makes on the genre are quite good.

    You can play the game at:

    http://www.homestarrunner.com/dungeonman.html
  4. Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    ChicagoDave wrote:
    > I would now like to entertain nominations to be included in the CD.
    [...]
    > I am adding:
    >
    > Blue Chairs, The Fire Tower, The Dreamhold, Sting of the Wasp, All
    > Things Devours, Necrotic Drift, and Luminous Horizon.
    >
    > What else should I add? Maybe one or two of the finalists from the
    > Xyzzies? Maybe another game that was released 2004? Or maybe a classic
    > game that isn't in the current image?

    Modesty forbids me from suggesting any specific games, but I'd suggest
    some of the finalists in the C32 Comp. They are all interesting in
    their own various ways, and they are both small and quick to play.

    > The only requirement is that the author authorizes inclusion on the
    > promotional CD image (downloadable only from the archive).
  5. Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Yes I know these are a bit old, but a few of my favorites are "Spider and
    Web" and "Photopia"
    Jayson.

    "Jimmy Maher" <maherNO@SPAMgrandecom.net> wrote in message
    > ChicagoDave wrote:
    > > What else should I add? Maybe one or two of the finalists from the
    > > Xyzzies? Maybe another game that was released 2004? Or maybe a classic
    > > game that isn't in the current image?
    >
    > Some of my all-time favorites that I would suggest...
    >
    > Little Blue Men and Anchorhead by Michael Gentry
    > Heroine's Mantle by Andy Phillips
    > Isle of the Cult by Rune Berg
    > Balances by Graham Nelson
    > She's Got a Thing for a Spring by Brent Van Fossen
    > Tapestry and Slouching Towards Bedlam by Daniel Ravipinto
    > Ditch Day Drifter and Return to Ditch Day by Mike Roberts
    > A Day for Soft Food by Todd Levi
    > Not Just an Ordinary Ballerina by Jim Fisher
    > Christminster by Gareth Rees
    >
    > Jimmy

  6. Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    My favorite games are Slouching Torwards Bedlam. That one deserves to
    be put on it. That and Lock and Key.

    Maybe it would be fun to put Pick up the phone booth and die (the
    origional) on it.

Games CD-Rom Video Games