I have Windows XP and MS Office XP (2003) loaded on my PC. Whenever I boot
up the PC, 3 sessions of MS Word open - 2 sessions have a new (blank)
document open, and the 3rd session just shows Word as being open (no new
document).

I went to Documents and Settings | Application Data | Microsoft | Word |
Startup to see if there was anything in the folder prompting Word to open
the 3 sessions. The folder was empty.

I then clicked Start | Run | msconfig | Enter to see if Winword.exe is
in the Startup folder. I thought I might see it in there 3 times – one for
each of the Word sessions that are opening whenever I boot up the PC.
Strangely enough, Winword.exe wasn’t in the Startup folder at all – not even
once.

I then performed a search for Winword.exe on my hard drive. What I found
are the following two instances, but I'm sure these are not causing the three
Word sessions to open.

WINWORD8.DOC located in C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew
WINWORD.EXE located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

How can I put an end to Word opening up these sessions when booting up the
PC??

I posted this problem to the Word newsgroup, but they were unable to help
and suggested I post to the Windows newsgroup.

Any suggestions on how I can stop Word from opening these three sessions
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks,
getravel (Mike)

unrepper

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

Did you look in Start, All Programs, Start Up and see what's in there
--
Don Kendrick

"getravel" wrote:

> I have Windows XP and MS Office XP (2003) loaded on my PC. Whenever I boot
> up the PC, 3 sessions of MS Word open - 2 sessions have a new (blank)
> document open, and the 3rd session just shows Word as being open (no new
> document).
>
> I went to Documents and Settings | Application Data | Microsoft | Word |
> Startup to see if there was anything in the folder prompting Word to open
> the 3 sessions. The folder was empty.
>
> I then clicked Start | Run | msconfig | Enter to see if Winword.exe is
> in the Startup folder. I thought I might see it in there 3 times – one for
> each of the Word sessions that are opening whenever I boot up the PC.
> Strangely enough, Winword.exe wasn’t in the Startup folder at all – not even
> once.
>
> I then performed a search for Winword.exe on my hard drive. What I found
> are the following two instances, but I'm sure these are not causing the three
> Word sessions to open.
>
> WINWORD8.DOC located in C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew
> WINWORD.EXE located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
>
> How can I put an end to Word opening up these sessions when booting up the
> PC??
>
> I posted this problem to the Word newsgroup, but they were unable to help
> and suggested I post to the Windows newsgroup.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can stop Word from opening these three sessions
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> getravel (Mike)

Hi Don,

I did check where you suggested and I found the following apps; none of
which would initate 3 sessions of MS Word.

Quicken Scheduled Update
Compaq Connections
Micrsoft Office
Acrobat Assistant
PDFMakerA.dot

I'm open to any other suggestions.
--
Thanks,
getravel (Mike)

"Unrepper" wrote:

> Did you look in Start, All Programs, Start Up and see what's in there
> --
> Don Kendrick
>

> "getravel" wrote:
>
> > I have Windows XP and MS Office XP (2003) loaded on my PC. Whenever I boot
> > up the PC, 3 sessions of MS Word open - 2 sessions have a new (blank)
> > document open, and the 3rd session just shows Word as being open (no new
> > document).
> >
> > I went to Documents and Settings | Application Data | Microsoft | Word |
> > Startup to see if there was anything in the folder prompting Word to open
> > the 3 sessions. The folder was empty.
> >
> > I then clicked Start | Run | msconfig | Enter to see if Winword.exe is
> > in the Startup folder. I thought I might see it in there 3 times – one for
> > each of the Word sessions that are opening whenever I boot up the PC.
> > Strangely enough, Winword.exe wasn’t in the Startup folder at all – not even
> > once.
> >
> > I then performed a search for Winword.exe on my hard drive. What I found
> > are the following two instances, but I'm sure these are not causing the three
> > Word sessions to open.
> >
> > WINWORD8.DOC located in C:\WINDOWS\ShellNew
> > WINWORD.EXE located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
> >
> > How can I put an end to Word opening up these sessions when booting up the
> > PC??
> >
> > I posted this problem to the Word newsgroup, but they were unable to help
> > and suggested I post to the Windows newsgroup.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how I can stop Word from opening these three sessions
> > would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > getravel (Mike)

I suspect PDFMakerA.DOT

getravel wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> I did check where you suggested and I found the following apps; none of
> which would initate 3 sessions of MS Word.
>
> Quicken Scheduled Update
> Compaq Connections
> Micrsoft Office
> Acrobat Assistant
> PDFMakerA.dot
>
> I'm open to any other suggestions.

Bob,

I deleted PDFMakerA.dot and that took care of the problem.

Thank you so much for your assistance.
--
Thanks,
getravel (Mike)

"Bob I" wrote:

> I suspect PDFMakerA.DOT
>
> getravel wrote:
>
> > Hi Don,
> >
> > I did check where you suggested and I found the following apps; none of
> > which would initate 3 sessions of MS Word.
> >
> > Quicken Scheduled Update
> > Compaq Connections
> > Micrsoft Office
> > Acrobat Assistant
> > PDFMakerA.dot
> >
> > I'm open to any other suggestions.

Glad to hear it, you're welcome, and have a good day!