suse help me plz

BlindJoker

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2001
Hi, I just got Linux Suse and the 1st boot was fine nothing went wrong. The 2nd boot went fine, but when I got in to the KDE desktop my terminal would open but then close immediately. I don't know what is wrong.. If someone can help me plz do.

thx

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by blindjoker on 07/13/02 08:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Weird. Without more info I couldn't even guess at the problem. Maybe you should call SuSE and use their install support?

OTOH, if it's a fresh install, just reinstall it and hopefully the problem will go away.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

MoneyMike

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
this is an install problem. Is your hardrive partitioned? are you running a dual boot? Re-install Linux and its a 50% chance the problem will be fixed.

My computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

CatherineStevens

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
I had something similar happen and it had to do with my initdefault line. It sets your runlevel. I am not sure if this is applicable to Suse, but in RH I changed
id:3:initdefault:
to
id:5:initdefault:
into my /etc/inittab file and it fixed it.
Does this help or am I way off target?

HOWDY!

FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIE CLASS OF '99! WHOOP!

genlee

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
Try running startx from the console. If the xserver dies, it will display the errors. Your XF86Config-4 is most likely the culprit. You problably have it misconfigured for your hardware. Reinstalling will not solve anything if you can't configure x correctly.

CatherineStevens

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
I think you have to hit the reply button on one of blindjoker's messages for him/her to get the email notification of your post. It was sent to me because you replied to mine.

HOWDY!

FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIE CLASS OF '99! WHOOP!