Spring Thing games available for download

I'm making this announcement really quickly, because I have to leave
the house in about half an hour.

I've uploaded all the Spring Thing files to the archive and to the
Spring Thing site, and I've updated the site. You can download the
Spring Thing games and start playing. There are six games this year:

Authority, by Eva Vikstrom (Z-Code)
Bolivia By Night, by Aidan Doyle (TADS 2)
Flat Feet, by Joel Ray Holveck (Z-Code)
Second Chance, by David Whyld (ADRIFT)
Threnody, by John "Doppler" Schiff (TADS 2)
Whom The Telling Changed, by Aaron A. Reed (Z-Code)

You can find out everything you need to know at:
http://www.springthing.net/2005/index.htm
See also:
http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/springthing/2005/readme.txt

Special thanks, by the way, to David Kinder for getting the files put
in place so quickly.

The voting page isn't up yet, but it will be by the end of the weekend.

The voting is until May 1. That's a longer voting period than it
probably had to be, but what the heck. Now nobody should have trouble
playing all the games.

If you go to the Spring Thing site where it says "downloads," the "IF
Archive Mirror" links don't work yet, but they should within 48 hours
or so, I think. The other links do work.

I'm probably forgetting something, but that's all I can think of for
now.

To all the entrants: good luck. To all the players: have fun!

Greg
14 answers Last reply
More about spring thing games download
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Greg Boettcher wrote:
    > I'm making this announcement really quickly, because I have to leave
    > the house in about half an hour.
    >
    > I've uploaded all the Spring Thing files to the archive and to the
    > Spring Thing site, and I've updated the site. You can download the
    > Spring Thing games and start playing. There are six games this year:

    So how can anybody vote on the minimum seven games required by the
    rules?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    And here I thought the rules were too lengthy, but I guess I was wrong.
    :-P

    You simply have to vote for all the games, or all the games you're able
    to vote for, depending on what you've beta-tested (and maybe what your
    computer compatibility is like).

    Greg
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    I'd just like to publicly thank Greg for reviving the Spring Thing and
    putting the competition together this year. I'm sure it has been a lot
    of work, largely thankless, I imagine, but it is definitely
    appreciated. Jolly good show, old man! ;)
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Arthur Boff wrote:
    > I'm having problems downloading the files in Firefox. winzip says
    that
    > the .zip files are incomplete and will not uncompile them. I've tried

    > the main zip file with all the games and the "authority" zip file and

    > they both come up with the same error.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    It looks like for some reason it doesn't work to download the files
    from the springthing.net server. I don't know what the problem is, but
    then again I've never before had a web site with stuff that I expected
    people to download en masse. I guess I'll remove the "ST.net" links for
    now, unless somebody has an idea why it's not working.

    Testing it just now, I had no problem with the files I downloaded using
    the "IF Archive" link. And the "IF Archive Mirror" link should work too
    in a day or two.

    Greg
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Greg,

    I'm having problems downloading the files in Firefox. winzip says that
    the .zip files are incomplete and will not uncompile them. I've tried
    the main zip file with all the games and the "authority" zip file and
    they both come up with the same error.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Arthur Boff wrote:
    > Greg,
    >
    > I'm having problems downloading the files in Firefox. winzip says that
    > the .zip files are incomplete and will not uncompile them. I've tried
    > the main zip file with all the games and the "authority" zip file and
    > they both come up with the same error.

    They're now visible on the Archive:
    http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXgamesXspringthingX2005.html

    David
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    "Greg Boettcher" <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> writes:

    > I guess I'll remove the "ST.net" links for
    > now, unless somebody has an idea why it's not working.

    It's kind of hard to figure out what's wrong when there's no link to
    test...

    --
    Esa Peuha
    student of mathematics at the University of Helsinki

    Hear hear.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Esa A E Peuha wrote:
    > It's kind of hard to figure out what's wrong when there's no link to
    > test...

    The links that don't seem to work are here:

    http://www.springthing.net/2005/files/
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Is anyone else having trouble getting Authority to work? All I've got
    is a couple of words at the top of the screen reading "entrance hall"
    and then nothing.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    dwhyld@gmail.com wrote:
    > Is anyone else having trouble getting Authority to work? All I've got
    > is a couple of words at the top of the screen reading "entrance hall"
    > and then nothing.

    I haven't had that problem. Which interpreter are you using?

    However, there is a bug in the game which makes it uncompleteable.
    Specifically, the Xerox Room is inaccessible.

    I've already contacted the author, and he sent me a corrected version.
    That doesn't help everyone else though. I'm going to suggest to the
    author that he get in touch with Greg to see if the updated version can
    be released for judging, or if this would violate the competition rules.

    Jimmy
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Esa A E Peuha wrote:
    > The zip files on your server seem to be corrupted; it looks like
    > something has treated them as if they were text files with
    Windows-style
    > line endings and converted them to Unix-style endings (which is a
    common
    > way to destroy binary files). How did you create those zips, and how
    > did you transfer them to the server?

    Okay, cool. Transfering them as binaries and not ASCII did the trick.
    Thanks, I learned something from that. :)

    Greg
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    "Greg Boettcher" <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> writes:

    > The links that don't seem to work are here:
    >
    > http://www.springthing.net/2005/files/

    The zip files on your server seem to be corrupted; it looks like
    something has treated them as if they were text files with Windows-style
    line endings and converted them to Unix-style endings (which is a common
    way to destroy binary files). How did you create those zips, and how
    did you transfer them to the server?

    --
    Esa Peuha
    student of mathematics at the University of Helsinki
    http://www.helsinki.fi/~peuha/
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    "Greg Boettcher" <WRITETOgregAT@gregboettcher.com> wrote:

    > Esa A E Peuha wrote:
    > > The zip files on your server seem to be corrupted; it looks like
    > > something has treated them as if they were text files with Windows-style
    > > line endings and converted them to Unix-style endings (which is a common
    > > way to destroy binary files). How did you create those zips, and how
    > > did you transfer them to the server?
    >
    > Okay, cool. Transfering them as binaries and not ASCII did the trick.
    > Thanks, I learned something from that. :)

    Did you do that this afternoon, or just before you posted that? 'Cause
    it downloaded (and unzipped) fine for me at about 17:00 CET (16:00 GMT).

    Richard

Download Games Video Games