Windows XP - Question about "File and Settings Transfer Wi..

Just a quick question regarding the File and Settings Transfer Wizard.
If using an external hard drive to save the data to, does it
automatically remove old data from that drive prior to doing the
transfer? The reason I ask is because a friend has used FAST and sent
the data to an external drive that was formatted with FAT32. The drive
now shows as an NTFS partition and he can't find the FAT32 data
anywhere. Is it lost forever or is there something simple that can be
done to get that old data back from the external HDD? Properties for
the drive show that it's a 40gb drive with 17gb allocated. However,
when you look at it through My Computer it only shows 400mb in use.

Thanks in advance.

cchafin99 wrote:
> Just a quick question regarding the File and Settings Transfer Wizard.
> If using an external hard drive to save the data to, does it
> automatically remove old data from that drive prior to doing the
> transfer? The reason I ask is because a friend has used FAST and sent
> the data to an external drive that was formatted with FAT32. The
> drive now shows as an NTFS partition and he can't find the FAT32 data
> anywhere. Is it lost forever or is there something simple that can be
> done to get that old data back from the external HDD? Properties for
> the drive show that it's a 40gb drive with 17gb allocated. However,
> when you look at it through My Computer it only shows 400mb in use.

Please do not Multi-Post.. Cross-Post if you feel you must, but
multi-posting does not link the identical posts together throughout the
groups so that others might see all of the answers you get instead of just
the one for that group they happen to be in. Not to mention those that
might answer your questions may frequent more than one newsgroup and seeing
your unread question in several can be a bit annoying.

F.A.S.T. doesn't do anything to your target media other than write the data
to it when using it to transfer files from a system to a holding point
before importing it onto the new machine. It makes a directory and a "file"
that contains everything in it. It definitely will not reformat a drive.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP