Quick Question About Memory Timings

GenStryker

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
CAS Latency - Among CAS2, CAS2.5 and CAS3, which one performs better?

Memory Timings - 2-2-5, 7-4-4, what are these numbers supposed to mean? And how come two memories with the same CAS Latency have different memory timing numbers? Some CAS2.5 come with 7-4-4, others with 6-3-3...? And again, which one performs better?

Thanks in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lower timings mean lower latency, which means less waiting time, which means faster response, which means higher performance.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
The fastest timings I know of are CAS2, 2-2-2-5

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I would also recommend to keep in mind that modules with lower latency in comparison to standard specification typically have a lower range of application.

For example, a Samsung PC-3200 CL3 module is going to work on more applications and motherboards when compared to the same module at CL2.

For the extreme enthusiast, it's a good idea to find out what chipsets and motherboards are best supported by the particular memory of choice.

RichPLS

Champion
Yes at CL2 timings, but you can manually set these to run CL3.