Event Id 4609 in MSN messenger...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Please bear with me. I have a ADSL internet connection with a usb ADSL
modem.Very old and cheap one supplied by the ISP. Supposedly "always on" but
not so because to access the internet the computer has to initialize the
modem, log on the modem to the ISP and then access the internet, every time
the computer starts up. The modem uses PPoA, this tidbit will be useful
later. Until recently, the connection with MSN messenger (version 7) delayed
a little and then connected when the modem is "on air", and when the "server
errors side" situations allowed so. However, now, the MSN explorer does not
logon and stays offline for random periods. A quick perusal of the event
viewer reports an event id 4609 with HRESULT C0000005 every time at startup.
Just for kicks, I disabled the MSN "execution at beginning of session"
(execution at startup) and the event 4609 dissapeared. Uninstalled MSN,
downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled. At startup, event 4609 shows up.
Instructed MSNm to not execute at startup and 4609 dissapeared. Tried to put
the MSNm link (copy) in the Start-> All Programs ->Startup folder , and 4609
says hi. Delete link and 4609 doesn´t appear. My question is , What can I do
to delay the execution of MSN to where the modem is fully functional? Can I
use a PPPoE connectoid ? (remember, ADSL over PPPoA).Or,quite simply, what
the (bleep) can I do to run MSNm at startup and not have this annoyance?
Please help and post solutions to the group(s) Thnx.

pip22

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

Your ADSL connection is 'always on' provided you don't switch modem
power off or disconnect your DSL cable -- and even then your ADSL line
is always active, so in that sense it is always on whatever you do at
your end. That's no different to a cable user.
However, when your PC is off, the link between your modem and the PC
(ethernet or usb)is closed down and therefore has to be re-established
everytime you turn the PC back on or do a re-start. This causes an
unavoidable delay between startup items launching and your modem being
ready to transfer data. You are asking the PC to launch Messenger and
log you in before the USB connection has been initialised. Impossible
of course. You may find that connecting the modem via ethernet (instead
of usb) will reduce the initialisation time sufficiently to cure the
problem (I can vouch for the fact that USB does take longer to
initialise then ethernet), but otherwise you will have to get used to
starting messenger manually when the modem is ready. Don't blame the
ADSL technology -- even cable users have to wait for the modem to
settle down when they start up the PC.

--
pip22
pip22's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=432