CD-ROM causing a crash?

My computer's been experiencing loss of power whenever I use a program that
requires the CD-ROM. It doesn't crash right away - I can run the program for
20-30 minutes before the computer loses power. The screen goes black, the
fan disengages, and the whole thing simply shuts down immediately.

The crash seems to be just a loss of power, as the system log doesn't record
any errors and when I press the power button on the computer after a crash,
Windows XP Pro starts up normally. I've tried replacing the external power
cable but it didn't solve the problem. CHKDSK doesn't find any errors on the
drive and it's a relatively new hard drive, about 2 months old. My
antivirus, which is up-to-date, can't find any viruses either.

I'm sure it's a hardware problem, but what part is faulty? Could a power
connector to the CD-ROM cause the entire computer to crash, even?

Thanks for your patience, and I hope someone has an idea of what's wrong.
2 answers Last reply
More about causing crash

    Symptoms that you are describing are usually related to flaky Power Supply.

    "" wrote:
    > Symptoms that you are describing are usually related to flaky
    > Power Supply.
    > "Ixtalis" <Ixtalis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > > My computer's been experiencing loss of power whenever I use
    > a program
    > > that
    > > requires the CD-ROM. It doesn't crash right away - I can
    > run the program
    > > for
    > > 20-30 minutes before the computer loses power. The screen
    > goes black, the
    > > fan disengages, and the whole thing simply shuts down
    > immediately.
    > >
    > > The crash seems to be just a loss of power, as the system
    > log doesn't
    > > record
    > > any errors and when I press the power button on the computer
    > after a
    > > crash,
    > > Windows XP Pro starts up normally. I've tried replacing the
    > external
    > > power
    > > cable but it didn't solve the problem. CHKDSK doesn't find
    > any errors on
    > > the
    > > drive and it's a relatively new hard drive, about 2 months
    > old. My
    > > antivirus, which is up-to-date, can't find any viruses
    > either.
    > >
    > > I'm sure it's a hardware problem, but what part is faulty?
    > Could a power
    > > connector to the CD-ROM cause the entire computer to crash,
    > even?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your patience, and I hope someone has an idea of
    > what's wrong.

    it’s not nesasery "flaky" as you put it, it’s probably just under
    powered for the hardware inuse, as PSU that dont meet the requierments
    will hold out for a short time, but then run out of power and turn
    it’s self up to avoid damange to hardware (some times if the mother
    borad is not suficiantly powered, it can damage it), so for safty it
    cuts all power.

    EXAMPLE: a 300Watt PSU is not capable of supporting a ATX motherborad
    plus 12V connecter, plus 2 CD-ROM drives, 2HD’s and a Radeon 9800,
    when the 9800 is processing graphics. if you want to run that, you
    would need a 400Watt PSU.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-CD-ROM-causing-crash-ftopict555334.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765052

Computers Crash CD-Rom Power Windows XP