Scheduling tasks? passwords? logon not required?

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi

I have been trying to setup spybot to run as a scheduled task. It fails with
the error saying that the account doesn't have a password. As I am the only
user I have not bothered with passwords and don't really want to!

I have read loads about how the account must have a password in order to run
a scheduled task, but in that case how comes my pc is happy to run a
Norton's antivirus sweep as scheduled??

Initially when looking at other scheduled tasks, I noticed a check box that
said something about 'doesn't require user logging on' or similar that
seemed to grey out the password button. However, now it appears to have
disappeared! :(

Can anyone explain all this to me?

Many thanks

Jon wrote:
> I have been trying to setup spybot to run as a scheduled task. It
> fails with the error saying that the account doesn't have a password.
> As I am the only user I have not bothered with passwords and don't
> really want to!

Cool. Another easy target.

> I have read loads about how the account must have a password in order
> to run a scheduled task, but in that case how comes my pc is happy to
> run a Norton's antivirus sweep as scheduled??

Likely using the system account and/or some Norton scheduler instead of
Windows Scheduler.

- Windows XP Home Edition or Professional Edition?

You may consider using the command line command "schtasks" to create a task
running under the system credentials. Or you might give yourself a password
and set the machine up for autologon..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

In news:darvb1$d4c$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk,
Jon <JoIWinSm@hotmail.com> typed:

> I have been trying to setup spybot to run as a scheduled task.
> It
> fails with the error saying that the account doesn't have a
> password.
> As I am the only user I have not bothered with passwords and
> don't
> really want to!

Understood, but having a password is not necessarily a bother,
since you can set it to log on automatically with the password.

Go to Start | Run, type "control userpasswords2" Select the
account you want to logon to automatically. Then uncheck the box
"Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

Or do the same thing with TweakUI.

> I have read loads about how the account must have a password in
> order
> to run a scheduled task, but in that case how comes my pc is
> happy to
> run a Norton's antivirus sweep as scheduled??

It may schedule it using a different mechanism than the Windows
Task Scheduler.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi

The Norton's program does show up in the windows scheduler window, so does
that mean its using a system account? What is a system account? I am only
aware of the 'one' account I setup when installing xp pro.
Can I use the system account for spybot, and if so how?

Why do you say 'another easy target' concerning password? I have Norton's IS
running and soon will be behind a netgear dg834, is there still a risk from
hackers?

Thanks

> Jon wrote:
>> I have been trying to setup spybot to run as a scheduled task. It
>> fails with the error saying that the account doesn't have a password.
>> As I am the only user I have not bothered with passwords and don't
>> really want to!
>
> Cool. Another easy target.
>
>> I have read loads about how the account must have a password in order
>> to run a scheduled task, but in that case how comes my pc is happy to
>> run a Norton's antivirus sweep as scheduled??
>
> Likely using the system account and/or some Norton scheduler instead of
> Windows Scheduler.
>
> - Windows XP Home Edition or Professional Edition?
>
> You may consider using the command line command "schtasks" to create a
> task running under the system credentials. Or you might give yourself a
> password and set the machine up for autologon..
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"As I am the only user I have not bothered with passwords and don't really
want to!"

Since you are too lazy to protect yourself, that makes you an easy target.
That is what was meant by the comment.

"Jon" <JoIWinSm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> The Norton's program does show up in the windows scheduler window, so does
> that mean its using a system account? What is a system account? I am only
> aware of the 'one' account I setup when installing xp pro.
> Can I use the system account for spybot, and if so how?
>
> Why do you say 'another easy target' concerning password? I have Norton's
> IS running and soon will be behind a netgear dg834, is there still a risk
> from hackers?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Jon wrote:
>>> I have been trying to setup spybot to run as a scheduled task. It
>>> fails with the error saying that the account doesn't have a password.
>>> As I am the only user I have not bothered with passwords and don't
>>> really want to!
>>
>> Cool. Another easy target.
>>
>>> I have read loads about how the account must have a password in order
>>> to run a scheduled task, but in that case how comes my pc is happy to
>>> run a Norton's antivirus sweep as scheduled??
>>
>> Likely using the system account and/or some Norton scheduler instead of
>> Windows Scheduler.
>>
>> - Windows XP Home Edition or Professional Edition?
>>
>> You may consider using the command line command "schtasks" to create a
>> task running under the system credentials. Or you might give yourself a
>> password and set the machine up for autologon..
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi Joe,

Running Scheduled Tasks without a password:

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
This is enabled by default, disable it.

For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)

Troubleshooting the Task Scheduler
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#ts

Task Scheduler MS-KB Articles: http://tinyurl.com/3gnjc

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Jon" <JoIWinSm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have been trying to setup spybot to run as a scheduled task. It fails
> with the error saying that the account doesn't have a password. As I am
> the only user I have not bothered with passwords and don't really want to!
>
> I have read loads about how the account must have a password in order to
> run a scheduled task, but in that case how comes my pc is happy to run a
> Norton's antivirus sweep as scheduled??
>
> Initially when looking at other scheduled tasks, I noticed a check box
> that said something about 'doesn't require user logging on' or similar
> that seemed to grey out the password button. However, now it appears to
> have disappeared! :(
>
> Can anyone explain all this to me?
>
> Many thanks

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

So am I unprotected if I have Norton's IS running and connect via a netgear
dg834, is there still a risk from hackers?

Do I still need a password? What will it protect me from?

Thanks

Jon wrote:
> So am I unprotected if I have Norton's IS running and connect via a
> netgear dg834, is there still a risk from hackers?
>
> Do I still need a password? What will it protect me from?

It's another layer of protection that is simple to implement and another
pain for someone to get through - simple as that. Protection is in layers -
some more effective than others.

Essentially right now you have locked the outside gate to the fence around
your house and you even have a dog running around inside the yard, but left
the doors open and labeled all the stuff with monetary values for the
thieves. =)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Kelly, where is schtasks for windows xp home? Its not installed with xp
home, do you know if its on the xp home cd?
--
Thanks

"Kelly" wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Running Scheduled Tasks without a password:
>
> For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
> Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).
>
> Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.
> This is enabled by default, disable it.
>
> For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)
>
> Troubleshooting the Task Scheduler
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#ts
>
> Task Scheduler MS-KB Articles: http://tinyurl.com/3gnjc
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Jon" <JoIWinSm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have been trying to setup spybot to run as a scheduled task. It fails
> > with the error saying that the account doesn't have a password. As I am
> > the only user I have not bothered with passwords and don't really want to!
> >
> > I have read loads about how the account must have a password in order to
> > run a scheduled task, but in that case how comes my pc is happy to run a
> > Norton's antivirus sweep as scheduled??
> >
> > Initially when looking at other scheduled tasks, I noticed a check box
> > that said something about 'doesn't require user logging on' or similar
> > that seemed to grey out the password button. However, now it appears to
> > have disappeared! :(
> >
> > Can anyone explain all this to me?
> >
> > Many thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Scheduled Tasks
or
Open Control Panel, Click Performance and Maintenance, scroll down, do you
see Scheduled Tasks?

If not...

How To Add or Remove a Windows Component in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307894

Scheduled Tasks is under System Tools

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:97007678-5C6E-4CE3-9259-EA202831BB5A@microsoft.com,
Greg <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Kelly, where is schtasks for windows xp home? Its not installed with xp
> home, do you know if its on the xp home cd?
> --
> Thanks
>

> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> Running Scheduled Tasks without a password:
>>
>> For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
>> Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third
>> down).
>>
>> Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon
>> only. This is enabled by default, disable it.
>>
>> For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)
>>
>> Troubleshooting the Task Scheduler
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#ts
>>
>> Task Scheduler MS-KB Articles: http://tinyurl.com/3gnjc
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Jon" <JoIWinSm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have been trying to setup spybot to run as a scheduled task. It fails
>>> with the error saying that the account doesn't have a password. As I am
>>> the only user I have not bothered with passwords and don't really want
>>> to!
>>>
>>> I have read loads about how the account must have a password in order to
>>> run a scheduled task, but in that case how comes my pc is happy to run
>>> a Norton's antivirus sweep as scheduled??
>>>
>>> Initially when looking at other scheduled tasks, I noticed a check box
>>> that said something about 'doesn't require user logging on' or similar
>>> that seemed to grey out the password button. However, now it appears to
>>> have disappeared! :(
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain all this to me?
>>>
>>> Many thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi,

Click start/run, type:

%windir%\system32\schtasks.exe

Then click ok, this should start the Task Scheduler. It is, by the way,
installed in XP Home systems by default. You may simply be missing the
shortcut in the system tools.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Kelly, where is schtasks for windows xp home? Its not installed with xp
> home, do you know if its on the xp home cd?
> --
> Thanks
>

> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> Running Scheduled Tasks without a password:
>>
>> For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
>> Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third
>> down).
>>
>> Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon
>> only.
>> This is enabled by default, disable it.
>>
>> For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)
>>
>> Troubleshooting the Task Scheduler
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#ts
>>
>> Task Scheduler MS-KB Articles: http://tinyurl.com/3gnjc
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "Jon" <JoIWinSm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have been trying to setup spybot to run as a scheduled task. It fails
>> > with the error saying that the account doesn't have a password. As I am
>> > the only user I have not bothered with passwords and don't really want
>> > to!
>> >
>> > I have read loads about how the account must have a password in order
>> > run a scheduled task, but in that case how comes my pc is happy to run
>> > Norton's antivirus sweep as scheduled??
>> >
>> > Initially when looking at other scheduled tasks, I noticed a check box
>> > that said something about 'doesn't require user logging on' or similar
>> > that seemed to grey out the password button. However, now it appears to
>> > have disappeared! :(
>> >
>> > Can anyone explain all this to me?
>> >
>> > Many thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi Rick,

schtasks.exe has to be run from a command prompt. ;-)

This pasted in Start | Run

file:///::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

will open Scheduled Tasks.

Watch for wrapping. Non of that should be a hyperlink. ;-(

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eEF8oJ1sFHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

Aw shoot, I knew that too but forgot.

--

> Hi Rick,
>
> schtasks.exe has to be run from a command prompt. ;-)
>
> This pasted in Start | Run
>
> file:///::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
>
> will open Scheduled Tasks.
>
> Watch for wrapping. Non of that should be a hyperlink. ;-(
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eEF8oJ1sFHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Click start/run, type:
>>
>> %windir%\system32\schtasks.exe
>>
>> Then click ok, this should start the Task Scheduler. It is, by the way,
>> installed in XP Home systems by default. You may simply be missing the
>> shortcut in the system tools.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Kelly, where is schtasks for windows xp home? Its not installed with
>>> xp
>>> home, do you know if its on the xp home cd?
>>> --
>>> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I know what you mean. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23mdOXs5sFHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Aw shoot, I knew that too but forgot.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> schtasks.exe has to be run from a command prompt. ;-)
>>
>> This pasted in Start | Run

file:///::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

>> will open Scheduled Tasks.
>>
>> Watch for wrapping. Non of that should be a hyperlink. ;-(
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:eEF8oJ1sFHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
>> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Click start/run, type:
>>>
>>> %windir%\system32\schtasks.exe
>>>
>>> Then click ok, this should start the Task Scheduler. It is, by the way,
>>> installed in XP Home systems by default. You may simply be missing the
>>> shortcut in the system tools.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

All,

I have batch files that insert items into the schedule via the command line.
Therefore, I need the ability to run schtasks from the command line. I am
able to do this in Windows XP Pro, but not in XP Home. XP Home only allow
you the ability to add tasks to the scheduler via the front-end that
available through control panel.

Greg...

--
Thanks

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> I know what you mean. :)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23mdOXs5sFHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> > Aw shoot, I knew that too but forgot.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi Rick,
> >>
> >> schtasks.exe has to be run from a command prompt. ;-)
> >>
> >> This pasted in Start | Run
> >>

> file:///::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
> >>
> >> will open Scheduled Tasks.
> >>
> >> Watch for wrapping. Non of that should be a hyperlink. ;-(
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:eEF8oJ1sFHA.4076@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> >> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I looked for schtasks on my Home CD and didn't find it. Try copying it
from Pro to Home.

Or download it here...
schtasks.exe ver 5.1.2600.0
http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/files/schtasks.zip