Compaq M2000 Power Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuMore

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Greetings All-
I have/had exactly the same problems that you all have described with the power adapters overheating and eventually the system not starting at all.http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/sweat.gif

My problem started when my last power adapter started getting loose. My laptop battery wasn't charging so I naturally assumed that it was the adapter. I went through 3 adapters from HP. The last two melted - the yellow plastic part inside the metal just melted and turned brown - you could actually smell the burning. It ran very hot and had to be pried off the power pin on the laptop twice. I also burned my finger because the metal cylinder/connector to the laptop was so hot.

Also, everytime the power switched from charging the battery to running on AC power, the screen would flicker. When the last HP power adapter failed, I ntoiced that my laptop had stopped charging and the battery seemed to be discharging faster.

When this was happening, I had the sense that the system somewhere was behaving like a Zener diode in breakdown mode. The HP sales rep who I spoke to told me that she also had the experience of her power adapter actually draining the battery on her own system. So the power was flowing in the wrong direction. My sense is that it is the HP power adapter that caused the problem. Does anyone have any additional ideas??

I finally ordered a power adapter from Targus and this power adapter works fine(it has an indicator light that shows that it is drawing and outputting power. But I can't start my laptop at all now.

LuMore

Your adapter isn't at fault. It's the jack on the inside of the computer that's the problem - you've noticed it's loose, as you said. It's likely loose and shorting out on something, which is an excellent way to make a lot of heat and smoke. Also, this jack is circuited to your battery charger, so if it's shorted, it makes sense your battery would drain faster - and possibly explode or catch fire. You need to take apart the notebook and assess the damage on your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.