Poll: How do you pronounce "plugh"?

Last response: in Video Games
April 12, 2005 12:17:46 PM

A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it.
One of my beta testers has had difficulty solving
it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced with a
hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always
assumed that it should be pronounced "plew".

The pronunciation is sort of critical to solving the
puzzle, so I'm wondering if there is general consensus
on how to say it or is my puzzle unfair?

Thanks

More about : poll pronounce plugh

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 12:17:47 PM

"Paul Drallos" <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote in message
news:p PydnSfwqPnaIcbfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
> A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it.
> One of my beta testers has had difficulty solving
> it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced with a
> hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always
> assumed that it should be pronounced "plew".
>
> The pronunciation is sort of critical to solving the
> puzzle, so I'm wondering if there is general consensus
> on how to say it or is my puzzle unfair?

I don't know the real answer, but I've always pronounced it with a G, and a
really short "ha". Long U like "oo" -- turns out to be "ploogha" for me.

--- Mike.
April 12, 2005 12:17:47 PM

Mike Snyder wrote:
> "Paul Drallos" <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote in message
> news:p PydnSfwqPnaIcbfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
> > A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it.
> > One of my beta testers has had difficulty solving
> > it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced with a
> > hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always
> > assumed that it should be pronounced "plew".
> >
> > The pronunciation is sort of critical to solving the
> > puzzle, so I'm wondering if there is general consensus
> > on how to say it or is my puzzle unfair?
>
> I don't know the real answer, but I've always pronounced it with a G,
and a
> really short "ha". Long U like "oo" -- turns out to be "ploogha" for
me.

> --- Mike.

Hi: I always have said "plug" with a silent H, but my memory led to an
ancient post by Don Woods on the subject. See the link below:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.int-ficti...

If Don Woods thinks that it's "ploog", then I guess I can't argue with
that. Unless Crowther shows up on this thread to provide an even more
definitive answer.

PJ
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:08:40 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:17:46 -0400, Paul Drallos said to the parser:

> A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it. One of my beta testers
> has had difficulty solving it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced
> with a hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always assumed that it
> should be pronounced "plew".
>
> The pronunciation is sort of critical to solving the puzzle, so I'm
> wondering if there is general consensus on how to say it or is my puzzle
> unfair?

Seeing that:
Hugh == hew

therefore, in my mind,
plugh = plew

and has since I first saw it ~ 1983.

Michael
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:02:42 PM

Most importantly, I presumed in my riddle
that "plugh" rhymed with "true". Is that
likely to cause problems?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:36:15 PM

"Michael Coyne" <coyneAT@mtsDOT.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.04.12.14.08.39.344000@mtsDOT.net...
> Seeing that:
> Hugh == hew
>
> therefore, in my mind,
> plugh = plew
>
> and has since I first saw it ~ 1983.

as oppose to cough and enough :)
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:28:21 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:17:46 GMT, Paul Drallos scrawled:

> A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it.
> One of my beta testers has had difficulty solving
> it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced with a
> hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always
> assumed that it should be pronounced "plew".
>
> The pronunciation is sort of critical to solving the
> puzzle, so I'm wondering if there is general consensus
> on how to say it or is my puzzle unfair?
>
> Thanks

Hmm, well I've pronounced it as "plew", "pluff" (as the f in cough, but
that's obscure) and "pluhh", as in the way that I often pronounce "ugh!"

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:29:22 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:17:46 -0400, Paul Drallos <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote:
> A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it.
> One of my beta testers has had difficulty solving
> it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced with a
> hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always
> assumed that it should be pronounced "plew".

I pronounce it "ploog".

--
------------------------
Mark Jeffrey Tilford

Paul Drallos wrote in news:IqadncbJXvxCScbfRVn-vg@comcast.com:

> Most importantly, I presumed in my riddle
> that "plugh" rhymed with "true". Is that
> likely to cause problems?

For me, it would. I can't think of a way to describe how I read it
that would make sense for an English speaking person (sort of like
the Swedish "plugg" - like the English "plug", but with more "u").

Rikard
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:32:53 PM

Here, Paul Drallos <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote:
> Most importantly, I presumed in my riddle
> that "plugh" rhymed with "true". Is that
> likely to cause problems?

I'd never get that. I pronounce "plugh" with a short "u" (as in
"plug"), and then a soft uvular "gh" sound that doesn't occur in
normal English. (Like the end of "Bach", except voiced.)

I think any presumption about how people pronounce it is going to fall
flat.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:32:54 PM

Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> I think any presumption about how people pronounce it is going to fall
> flat.

Yes. It looks like there is enough variation on this that
I had better redesign my riddle.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:38:07 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:36:15 GMT, REH scrawled:

> "Michael Coyne" <coyneAT@mtsDOT.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.04.12.14.08.39.344000@mtsDOT.net...
>> Seeing that:
>> Hugh == hew
>>
>> therefore, in my mind,
>> plugh = plew
>>
>> and has since I first saw it ~ 1983.
>>

> as oppose to cough and enough :)

Ghoti and chips!

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 7:38:08 PM

"Rexx Magnus" <trashcan@uk2.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:36:15 GMT, REH scrawled:
>
> > "Michael Coyne" <coyneAT@mtsDOT.net> wrote in message
> > news:p an.2005.04.12.14.08.39.344000@mtsDOT.net...
> >> Seeing that:
> >> Hugh == hew
> >>
> >> therefore, in my mind,
> >> plugh = plew
> >>
> >> and has since I first saw it ~ 1983.
> >>

> > as oppose to cough and enough :)
> >

> Ghoti and chips!

Fish and chips?

gh from enough
o from women
ti from action
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:31:25 PM

Paul Drallos wrote:
> A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it.
> One of my beta testers has had difficulty solving
> it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced with a
> hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always
> assumed that it should be pronounced "plew".

Having not come across the word before, I'd have thought it sounded
like "plug".
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:37:07 PM

How about if I use "foo" instead of "plugh"?
Does everybody agree that "foo" rhymes with "true" or "grue"?
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:37:08 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:37:07 -0400, Paul Drallos said to the parser:

> How about if I use "foo" instead of "plugh"? Does everybody agree that
> "foo" rhymes with "true" or "grue"?

I think you mean 'fugh'.

Michael
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:37:09 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:07:26 -0500, Michael Coyne said to the parser:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:37:07 -0400, Paul Drallos said to the parser:
>
>> How about if I use "foo" instead of "plugh"? Does everybody agree that
>> "foo" rhymes with "true" or "grue"?
>
> I think you mean 'fugh'.

Oh fugh, I forgot to add the : ), so here it is : )

Michael
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:58:45 PM

Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> Here, Paul Drallos <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote:
>
>> Most importantly, I presumed in my riddle that "plugh" rhymed with
>> "true". Is that likely to cause problems?
>
> I'd never get that. I pronounce "plugh" with a short "u" (as in
> "plug"), and then a soft uvular "gh" sound that doesn't occur in
> normal English. (Like the end of "Bach", except voiced.)

Would that be as voiced in the original Klingon version?

<grin>,
Jon Ripley
--
http://jonripley.com/
Anonymous

"Jon Ripley" <news@jonripley.com> wrote in message
> Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> > Here, Paul Drallos <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Most importantly, I presumed in my riddle that "plugh" rhymed with
> >> "true". Is that likely to cause problems?
> >
> > I'd never get that. I pronounce "plugh" with a short "u" (as in
> > "plug"), and then a soft uvular "gh" sound that doesn't occur in
> > normal English. (Like the end of "Bach", except voiced.)
>
> Would that be as voiced in the original Klingon version?
>
> <grin>,
> Jon Ripley
> --
Oh my God! Not while I'm drinking coffee!!!

That was funny.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:39:35 PM

Here, Jon Ripley <news@jonripley.com> wrote:
> Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> > Here, Paul Drallos <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Most importantly, I presumed in my riddle that "plugh" rhymed with
> >> "true". Is that likely to cause problems?
> >
> > I'd never get that. I pronounce "plugh" with a short "u" (as in
> > "plug"), and then a soft uvular "gh" sound that doesn't occur in
> > normal English. (Like the end of "Bach", except voiced.)
>
> Would that be as voiced in the original Klingon version?

I said "soft", not "spraying the monitor".

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 10:23:19 PM

In article <slrnd5njag.nsc.tilford@ralph.earthlink.net>,
Mark J. Tilford <tilford@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>I pronounce it "ploog".

Same here -- because that's the way a roomful of Advent-urers pronounced it
when I played Advent about 25 years ago. I don't think anyone had any
connection with Woods or Crowther -- probably everybody copied the first
person to say it out loud.
April 13, 2005 12:18:15 AM

Why don't you just put a pronunciation guide for it elsewhere in the
game? Like have there be a dictionary somewhere, where you can look up
words, and the words have the phonetic spelling next to them, and plugh
is one of the words? Just a thought.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:00:56 AM

Here, Paul Drallos <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote:
> How about if I use "foo" instead of "plugh"?
> Does everybody agree that "foo" rhymes with "true" or "grue"?

Works for me. But I am beginning to fear this riddle. :)

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:01:29 AM

Paul Drallos wrote in news:nO-dnbw70MLSrMHfRVn-tQ@comcast.com:

> How about if I use "foo" instead of "plugh"?
> Does everybody agree that "foo" rhymes with "true" or "grue"?

No. I'm not a native speaker so I may be pronouncing it wrong, but
if I am then there are probably others that are wrong too, so maybe
it doesn't matter that it's wrong. I still wouldn't get it.

I rhyme "you" with "true" and "grue", but pronounce "foo" with a
different sound. (I'm not going to describe the sounds. I tried
and it got uncomprehensive. Even more so than usual.)

Rikard
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:05:04 AM

Paul Drallos wrote in news:nO-dnbw70MLSrMHfRVn-tQ@comcast.com:

> How about if I use "foo" instead of "plugh"?
> Does everybody agree that "foo" rhymes with "true" or "grue"?

It works if I read it in the voice of an owl. :)
"Yoo should not stay in the dark! Hoo! For there lurks a groo! Hoo!"
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:18:24 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:42:10 GMT, REH scrawled:

>> Ghoti and chips!
>>
> Fish and chips?
>
> gh from enough
> o from women
> ti from action

Yup.

--
http://www.rexx.co.uk

To email me, visit the site.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:05:01 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Paul Drallos wrote:

> How about if I use "foo" instead of "plugh"?
> Does everybody agree that "foo" rhymes with "true" or "grue"?

I will agree to that.

==--- --=--=-- ---==
Quintin Stone "You speak of necessary evil? One of those necessities
stone@rps.net is that if innocents must suffer, the guilty must suffer
www.rps.net more." - Mackenzie Calhoun, "Once Burned" by Peter David
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:40:43 PM

Paul Drallos wrote:
> A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it.
> One of my beta testers has had difficulty solving
> it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced with a
> hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always
> assumed that it should be pronounced "plew".
>
> The pronunciation is sort of critical to solving the
> puzzle, so I'm wondering if there is general consensus
> on how to say it or is my puzzle unfair?

I'm afraid I've always pronounced it "plu3".

--
John W. Kennedy
"...if you had to fall in love with someone who was evil, I can see why

In article <Xns96368910515CDrexxdeansaund@130.133.1.4>,
Rexx Magnus <trashcan@uk2.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:17:46 GMT, Paul Drallos scrawled:
>
>> A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it.
>> One of my beta testers has had difficulty solving
>> it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced with a
>> hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always
>> assumed that it should be pronounced "plew".
>>
>> The pronunciation is sort of critical to solving the
>> puzzle, so I'm wondering if there is general consensus
>> on how to say it or is my puzzle unfair?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>Hmm, well I've pronounced it as "plew", "pluff" (as the f in cough, but
>that's obscure) and "pluhh", as in the way that I often pronounce "ugh!"

"Ploog"

Adam
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:16:04 PM

On 12-Apr-05 at 8:17am -0400, <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote:

> How do you pronounce "plugh"?

Like the name of that thingummy you shove into an electrical outlet, just
before all the circuit breakers go "BLAMMO!" and darkness descends like a
thunderclap 'cause it drank too much juice. :)

-- %%%%%%%%%%%% "Glenn P.," <C128UserDELETE-THIS@FVI.Net> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
What went "Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock, whimper-fizzle-pphhfffttt!" ???
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% --= The Y2K Bug... What Else? =-- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

:: Take Note Of The Spam Block On My E-Mail Address! ::
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:22:23 PM

On 12-Apr-05 at 8:18pm -0700, <sockpanda@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why don't you just put a pronunciation guide for it elsewhere in the
> game? Like have there be a dictionary somewhere, where you can look up
> words, and the words have the phonetic spelling next to them, and plugh
> is one of the words? Just a thought.

The idea is good, but you are being MUCH too direct -- like having the
answer handed to the player on the proverbial Silver Platter.

What I'd suggest instead is to have words with similar spelling (though
offhand I don't know of any "-ugh" words where the "ugh" gives "oo", as
Don Woods suggests!). That way the player can arrive at the correct
pronunciation indirectly, by derivation from the other words you give.

-- %%%%%%%%%%%% "Glenn P.," <C128UserDELETE-THIS@FVI.Net> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
What went "Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock, whimper-fizzle-pphhfffttt!" ???
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% --= The Y2K Bug... What Else? =-- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

:: Take Note Of The Spam Block On My E-Mail Address! ::
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:36:52 PM

On 12-Apr-05 at 3:38pm -0000, <trashcan@uk2.net> wrote:

> Ghoti and chips!

For the benefit of those who don't understand that:

Ghoti = GH O TI
^ ^ ^
As in "enouGH" As in "wOmen" As in "intenTIon"

I forget what famous writer or poet came up with that (most likely
it was Ogden Nash, it sounds like something he'd do).

-- %%%%%%%%%%%% "Glenn P.," <C128UserDELETE-THIS@FVI.Net> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
What went "Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock, whimper-fizzle-pphhfffttt!" ???
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% --= The Y2K Bug... What Else? =-- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

:: Take Note Of The Spam Block On My E-Mail Address! ::
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:36:53 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:36:52 -0400, Glenn P., said to the parser:

> For the benefit of those who don't understand that:
>
> Ghoti = GH O TI
> ^ ^ ^
> As in "enouGH" As in "wOmen" As in "intenTIon"
>
> I forget what famous writer or poet came up with that (most likely it was
> Ogden Nash, it sounds like something he'd do).

George Bernard Shaw, IIRC.

Michael
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:25:34 AM

sockpanda@yahoo.com wrote:

> Why don't you just put a pronunciation guide for it elsewhere in the
> game? Like have there be a dictionary somewhere, where you can look up
> words, and the words have the phonetic spelling next to them, and plugh
> is one of the words? Just a thought.

While you are at it, add a pronunciation guide for "ghoti"...

| Charles and Francis Richmond It is moral cowardice to leave |
| undone what one perceives right |
| richmond at plano dot net to do. -- Confucius |
April 15, 2005 10:41:12 AM

On this thread, someone wrote they knew of no words ending in "ugh"
that sounded like "oo." Hope my post gets throUGH to you <g>

Ronale7

Mike Snyder wrote:
> "Paul Drallos" <pdrallos@tir.com> wrote in message
> news:p PydnSfwqPnaIcbfRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
> > A game that I'm writing has a rhyme-riddle in it.
> > One of my beta testers has had difficulty solving
> > it because she thought "plugh" was pronounced with a
> > hard "gh" and sounded like "plug". I had always
> > assumed that it should be pronounced "plew".
> >
> > The pronunciation is sort of critical to solving the
> > puzzle, so I'm wondering if there is general consensus
> > on how to say it or is my puzzle unfair?
>
> I don't know the real answer, but I've always pronounced it with a G,
and a
> really short "ha". Long U like "oo" -- turns out to be "ploogha" for
me.

> --- Mike.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:04:20 PM

<ronale7@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On this thread, someone wrote they knew of no words ending in "ugh"
> that sounded like "oo." Hope my post gets throUGH to you <g>
>
> Ronale7

It would have been more helpful to reply to and quote from the post your
referring to, then an abitrary one.

!