Sign in with
Your question

Help!! What happen to the hard disk partitions???

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2004 5:14:34 PM

I want to reformat my hard disk. I have 2 hard disks, one 80 GB the other 200 GB a total of 6 drives. WHen i put in the win XP installation CD and wanted to reformat only the C: , i could only see my C: at the installation window. WHat happened to my other 5 drives? The C drive was initially 40 GB, now it shows that it is 280 GB, which seems like all the drives had merged together or something..

What happened? Why did all the drives suddenly becomes one?

HELP!! What shld i do? If i format the C drive (if the drives are really merged, unknowingly), all my data will be gone!!
November 10, 2004 5:20:42 PM

It is best when installing OS to only connect up the drive you are installing the OS on to.

January 18, 2005 10:51:19 AM

I would probably say you have them dynamically linked, which would cause the windows installer to view the entire dynamic drive as a single volume.
January 18, 2005 12:52:15 PM

Please clarify.

You have two physical drives a 80 GB and a 200 GB, with a total of 6 partiions?

Now you have one logical drive with a capacity of 280 GB?

Are they connected via a regular IDE channel?

I was unaware you can create a JBOD array while installing windows.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Codesmith on 01/18/05 09:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!