Clean install - XP created account OWNER instead of Admini..

I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause this,
and how can I change it back to Administrator?

You must start in safe mode in order to logon with the local administrator
account with Windows XP Home.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ook" wrote:
|I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
| account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause this,
| and how can I change it back to Administrator?

Could it be that you have an HP computer and used their recovery methods? If
so, it'll have an account called Owner on it - my HP Pavilion 750n has this.
It's the same as a regular user account with administrator privileges. See
the previous post for getting to the actual Administrator account.

"Ook" <MSNews@emberts.UpYoursSpammer.emberts.com> wrote in message
>I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
>account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause
>this, and how can I change it back to Administrator?

The Owner Account Is Displayed As "Account Unknown" in Profiles on
Windows XP Home Edition-Based Computers
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312131

--
William

Hmm..that makes no sense at all. OK, so I reboot, start up in safe mode.
Whaddaya know, I can login as owner or administrator. Is this a feature or a
bug? I'd like to remove the owner account as I don't need it, but don't see
any way to do so. Also, how do you get to the Win2000 style groups/users
management screen instead of this pathetic user accounts GUI? They appear to
have taken it out of Computer Management, and stuck it into the control
panel as it's own applet, and either I don't know how to use it or it's
really a lame interface.

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> You must start in safe mode in order to logon with the local administrator
> account with Windows XP Home.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Ook" wrote:
> |I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
> | account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause
> this,
> | and how can I change it back to Administrator?

I built the computer myself, and did a clean install from an XP disk.

"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could it be that you have an HP computer and used their recovery methods?
> If
> so, it'll have an account called Owner on it - my HP Pavilion 750n has
> this.
> It's the same as a regular user account with administrator privileges.
> See
> the previous post for getting to the actual Administrator account.
>
> "Ook" wrote:
>
>> I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
>> account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause
>> this,
>> and how can I change it back to Administrator?

I did so. Logged in with Admin account, deleted "Owner" account. Rebooted,
it re-created the owner account and won't let me login with admin. How can I
login with admin without having to boot to safe mode? And how can I get rid
of this Owner account, for good? Or are you telling me that XP Home doesn't
let you into admin account unless you boot to safe mode?

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> You must start in safe mode in order to logon with the local administrator
> account with Windows XP Home.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Ook" wrote:
> |I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
> | account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause
> this,
> | and how can I change it back to Administrator?

PS - the account is not displayed as "account unknown", it's just an admin
account with user name of Owner.

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> You must start in safe mode in order to logon with the local administrator
> account with Windows XP Home.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Ook" wrote:
> |I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
> | account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause
> this,
> | and how can I change it back to Administrator?

This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&sd=tech

--

"Ook" wrote:
| Hmm..that makes no sense at all. OK, so I reboot, start up in safe mode.
| Whaddaya know, I can login as owner or administrator. Is this a feature or
| bug? I'd like to remove the owner account as I don't need it, but don't
see
| any way to do so. Also, how do you get to the Win2000 style groups/users
| management screen instead of this pathetic user accounts GUI? They appear
| have taken it out of Computer Management, and stuck it into the control
| panel as it's own applet, and either I don't know how to use it or it's
| really a lame interface.

Thanks, but I gave up, blew the install away, and started over from scratch.
Now I've got the admin account I want and no "Owner" account. I've seen this
before, but am not 100% how it happened - last time it happened I think it
was because the computer locked up after one of the last reboots, and it
never asked me for the username I wanted. Instead, it just assigned me to
"Owner".

> This article may help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&sd=tech
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Ook" wrote:
> | Hmm..that makes no sense at all. OK, so I reboot, start up in safe mode.
> | Whaddaya know, I can login as owner or administrator. Is this a feature
> or
> | bug? I'd like to remove the owner account as I don't need it, but don't
> see
> | any way to do so. Also, how do you get to the Win2000 style groups/users
> | management screen instead of this pathetic user accounts GUI? They
> appear
> | have taken it out of Computer Management, and stuck it into the control
> | panel as it's own applet, and either I don't know how to use it or it's
> | really a lame interface.

Just rename it to whatever name you want. It is an Administrator account.

> PS - the account is not displayed as "account unknown", it's just an admin
> account with user name of Owner.
>
> "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
>> You must start in safe mode in order to logon with the local
>> administrator
>> account with Windows XP Home.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Ook" wrote:
>> |I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
>> | account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause
>> this,
>> | and how can I change it back to Administrator?

kelly

What type of XP install is it? Retail or OEM?

Either way, do not delete the profile and do not run from the System Admin
account.

Copy the Owner account or create another one with Admin privileges:

How to Copy or Remove a User Profile
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm#usercopy

For the W2K boot up style:

Go to Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Change the way users log on or off
and uncheck:
Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching.

Or go to Start/Run/Regedit:

This setting controls which type of logon screen is shown, either the
classic Windows NT/2000 format or the Windows XP welcome screen.

Start/Run/Regedit

Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: LogonType
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = Classic Mode, 1 = Welcome Screen)

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'LogonType'
and edit the value according to the settings below.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the
change to take effect.

Note: Using the classic logon method will also disable the use of fast user
switching, where applications remain active in other users sessions.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Ook" <MSNews@emberts.UpYoursSpammer.emberts.com> wrote in message
>I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
>account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause this,
>and how can I change it back to Administrator?

Retail. I always run as admin. If you think that is bad, you should hear the
linux crowd when I suggested running as root LOL. Windoze people aren't
quite as fanatic....but I blew the install away and reinstalled, Owner
account is gone, and we are moving forward.

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Ook" <MSNews@emberts.UpYoursSpammer.emberts.com> wrote in message
>>I did a clean install of XP. When I go to login, it find that the admin
>>account is called "Owner" instead of Administrator. What would cause this,
>>and how can I change it back to Administrator?
>>

> The Owner Account Is Displayed As "Account Unknown" in Profiles on Windows
> XP Home Edition-Based Computers
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312131
>
> --

This was not what was happening here - even before applying any SPs, it
displayed as Owner, not Account Unknown. I could create other accounts, but
it bugged me that there was an "Administrator" account that I could not log
into, and an "Owner" account that I could not change or get rid of. I change
the name of the owner account, and I can then login as either Owner or the
name I changed it to. The user's profile directory is still called Owner.
And if I delete it, it gets recreated at boot. Reinstalling Windows from
scratch fixed the problem.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:33:01 -0700, usasma
<usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Could it be that you have an HP computer and used their recovery methods? If
>so, it'll have an account called Owner on it - my HP Pavilion 750n has this.
>It's the same as a regular user account with administrator privileges. See
>the previous post for getting to the actual Administrator account.

No. Dell user, and I did a reinstall when I got a new drive and wound
up with "Owner" also. So what? I'm the only user and know who I am.
I kind of like "Owner" actually.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots: