Conan Kill Everything

Last response: in Video Games
April 13, 2005 8:17:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

The second finisher in the "Stupid Title Contest" now has a little game to match:

Conan Kill Everything ist currently available under

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/unprocessed/ConanKi...

I hope it is adequately stupid. Comments are appreciated.

Ian

More about : conan kill

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:26:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Being actually married to a guy named Conan (dead serious, cross my
heart!) I will have to play this game.

Ian Haberkorn wrote:
> The second finisher in the "Stupid Title Contest" now has a little
game to match:

> Conan Kill Everything ist currently available under

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/unprocessed/ConanKi...

> I hope it is adequately stupid. Comments are appreciated.
>
> Ian
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:31:09 PM

carolynmagruder@yahoo.com wrote:

> Being actually married to a guy named Conan (dead serious, cross my
> heart!) I will have to play this game.

What smoke your father-in-law ? ;)

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.
April 14, 2005 2:29:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Yeah i killed everything,but i can't kill that stupid crew
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:16:30 AM

Ian Haberkorn" <haberkornj@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> The second finisher in the "Stupid Title Contest" now has a little game to
> match:
>
> Conan Kill Everything ist currently available under
>
> http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/unprocessed/ConanKi...
>
> I hope it is adequately stupid. Comments are appreciated.

Very cute ! Only took me 179 turns (oh, well ...)

My favourite quote is: "It is dead. Conan has killed it."

As inspiring as your game is, there's no way I'm going to write "AAA, An
Acrostic Adventure (Advocating Abolition of Alien Abductions Around America,
Absolute Autonomy of Automobile Associations, and Abolition of Aggressive
Advertising Agencies And Aardvark Antagonizers Acting As Actuarial
Accountants)".

David Fisher
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:24:48 AM

sisulu@africamail.com (Walter S.) wrote in message news:<3c4994a3.0504131415.61dfb83d@posting.google.com>...
> Also, wouldn't you agree that the intricate semiotics of "Conan Kill
> Everything" are an apotheosis of the traditional, Zork-led approach to
> IF?

LOL;)

Joking aside , I think there is an unwritten rule with IF authors who
haven't thought their games through : hide the story behind symbols ,
and your audience will praise how symbolic your game is. That's why
games like _The Dreamhold_ are much more fun to 'analyze' than play. I
mean , seriously , what I'm looking for in a text adventure is a good
story , memorable NPC:s , and a prose that doesn't make me cringe. If
I don't get that , I don't really care if the author throws a bunch of
symbols in my face. Is the apple in the cage Plotkin's comment of
life's passing illusion? Does the green mask symbolize envy? Is the
pyramid in the translucent dome an echo of the triangular layout of
the game? These are things that Thinking Geeks like to 'analyze' and
'reflect upon' , but from a player's point of view they don't add
anything.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:25:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

sisulu@africamail.com (Walter S.) wrote in message news:<3c4994a3.0504131415.61dfb83d@posting.google.com>...
> Also, wouldn't you agree that the intricate semiotics of "Conan Kill
> Everything" are an apotheosis of the traditional, Zork-led approach to
> IF?

LOL;)

Joking aside , I think there is an unwritten rule with IF authors who
haven't thought their games through : hide the story behind symbols ,
and your audience will praise how symbolic your game is. That's why
games like _The Dreamhold_ are much more fun to 'analyze' than play. I
mean , seriously , what I'm looking for in a text adventure is a good
story , memorable NPC:s , and a prose that doesn't make me cringe. If
I don't get that , I don't really care if the author throws a bunch of
symbols in my face. Is the apple in the cage Plotkin's comment of
life's passing illusion? Does the green mask symbolize envy? Is the
pyramid in the translucent dome an echo of the triangular layout of
the game? These are things that Thinking Geeks like to 'analyze' and
'reflect upon' , but from a player's point of view they don't add
anything.
April 14, 2005 9:59:40 AM

Amanda Peet wrote:
> I wouldn't dismiss it quite as lightly, if I were you.
> <SNIP>

[Dr. Mildly Flatulent, replying in a public release]:

In his eagerness to answer the above critics, Mr. PJ unfortunately
fell, hands-first, onto his recently acquired and razor-sharp sword,
the famous "Trollkiller". While most of the affected appendages have
been successfully reattached, he is in no condition to indulge in any
serious flamewars concerning his past, present or future posts on
r.*.i.f. The estimable PJ asks that I say "Ppphhtttt" very noisily
and spittily to all concerned parties.

Signed,

M. Flatulent, Chief Surgeon-in-Attendance.

"I fart in your general direction." -- M. Python
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

After looking up all your wonderful expressions in a dictionary, I
think I have a confession to make:

I wrote this game for the Conan that lives within each of us. We have
barely begun to perceive the little worm that hides beneath the thin
loincloth of what we call civilization. And no matter whether we find
it in an apple, an oaken table or even in a pointed hat - what matters
most is that we dared to look for it.

I do not want to elaborate beyond this for fear of constraining the
player's own perception. But if you all feel that the journey must go
on, maybe Conan will have to return.

Exhaustedly,
Ian
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:53:59 PM

Mike Pearce wrote:

> Joking aside , I think there is an unwritten rule with IF authors who
> haven't thought their games through : hide the story behind symbols ,
> and your audience will praise how symbolic your game is ...

Woah. T's on a roll.

best,
james cunningham
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:48:21 AM

"peejay" <peejay@jay.com> skrev i meddelandet
> The enemies are apparently the key objects, the actual physical embodiments
> across the spectrum of the discourse. The wizard represents culture and
> civilisation, while Conan is the barbarian, the Significant Other against
> which civilisation defines itself. The act of killing deconstructs the
> concept of civilisation and sets it in a surrealist landscape of neurotic
> savagery. And what better embodiment of savagery than the crassly commercial
> film industry? Now, let us move on to an analysis of the symbols:
>
> --The spider symbolises the mystery of birth and links all people in her
> magic web. By killing the spider, Conan destroys civilisation's reproductive
> powers.
>
> --The cat embodies loyalty and devotion, for which there is no place in
> Conan's armageddon.
>
> --The pointed hat is the emblem of esoteric knowledge. No esoteric knowledge
> in Conan's brave new world.
>
> --The fly symbolises the frailty of life, its passing illusion. Its buzz is
> uncertain, stumbling, easily silenced.
>
> --The Golem represents a search for creativity, the search for Self and
> self-portraiture: introspection. No place for creativity in Conan's mayham.
>
> --The table symbolises family relationships. One belongs at the table. The
> table is a symbol of love and harmony, unity and good manners.
>
> --The loin cloth symbolises shame and humiliation. It is also one of the
> last items on the "hitlist", the last emotion a society should jettison.
>
> By killing the "enemies", Conan performs a conceptual autopsy on
> civilisation. Stripped it of its attributes it becomes an unbearable void,
> thus leading to Conan's suicide.

I'm curious what you make of the chicken bone and the worm?
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 9:26:29 AM

On 17-Apr-05 at 11:48pm -0700, <krochmal@sociologist.com> wrote:

> I'm curious what you make of the chicken bone and the worm?

Hey! Don't encourage him! :)

-- :: ============================================================= ::
:: %%%%%%%%% "Glenn P.," <C128UserDELETE-THIS@FVI.Net> %%%%%%%%% ::
:: ------------------------------------------------------------- ::
:: "When the moon hits the sky :: "When an eel bites your toe ::
:: like a big pizza pie, :: And it just won't let go -- ::
:: That's Amore!" :: THAT's A Moray!" ::
:: ------------------------------------------------------------- ::
:: %%%%%%%%%%%%% Anonymous -- Found On The Web %%%%%%%%%%%%% ::
:: ============================================================= ::

:: Take Note Of The Spam Block On My E-Mail Address! ::
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 10:22:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I just wanted to post that I've been a closet fan of 'Conan Kill
Everything' ever since it's contraception.

I just complemented that stance by creating my newest mudd player on
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com under the name "Conan Kill
Everything".

Copyright infringement policies to aphill@altavista.com, we'll get back
to ya. wink.

A.P. Hill
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 9:02:21 PM

On 13 Apr 2005 04:17:46 -0700, haberkornj@yahoo.com (Ian Haberkorn)
wrote:

>The second finisher in the "Stupid Title Contest" now has a little game to match:
>
>Conan Kill Everything ist currently available under
>
>http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/unprocessed/ConanKi...
>
>I hope it is adequately stupid. Comments are appreciated.
>
>Ian

damnit, i should be the worse player ever.. i'm stuck, bloody
woodword.. has the apple something to do with it?
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:34:42 PM

Gu wrote:
> damnit, i should be the worse player ever.. i'm stuck, bloody
> woodword.. has the apple something to do with it?

I was stuck on that for a while. You might want to turn your attention
to other things until something appropriate comes to hand.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:34:43 PM

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:34:42 +0100, Arthur Boff
<arthur.boff@merton.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

>Gu wrote:
>> damnit, i should be the worse player ever.. i'm stuck, bloody
>> woodword.. has the apple something to do with it?
>
>I was stuck on that for a while. You might want to turn your attention
>to other things until something appropriate comes to hand.

i've just killed that worm, i have my cloth in pieces.. well, just
wandering around waiting for an idea to pop into my mind ;)  "tie the
cloth" or the improbable "make a rope out of the cloth" don't work! eh
eh..
anyway, there should be more and more adventures like this..
April 30, 2005 9:13:13 AM

aphill@altavista.com wrote:
> I just wanted to post that I've been a closet fan of 'Conan Kill
> Everything' ever since it's contraception.
>
> I just complemented that stance by creating my newest mudd player on
> http://www.kingdomofloathing.com under the name "Conan Kill
> Everything".
>
> Copyright infringement policies to aphill@altavista.com, we'll get back
> to ya. wink.
>
> A.P. Hill

Wow. A.P Hill! It's been a while, my man! When is Amissville II coming
out? I made an entry for it in the Stupid Titles Comp, but I came in
last place. I guess everyone thought that Amissville II: The Legend of
Creepy Hollow wasn't stupid enough. But hey, it was a low-brow rip off
of Washington Irving and it had Amissville in it. Two stupidities for
the price of one, you know? ;)

-- He who posts

"I seek the social ownership of property, the abolition of the
propertied class, and the sole control of those who produce wealth.
Communism is the goal." -- Roger Baldwin, founder of the ACLU.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:05:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

There's a Release 2 for Conan Kill everything at

http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/ConanKi...

Some unintentionally dumb stuff has been corrected (thanks various
forum members!) such as the Weird Zombie Fly Bug.

I also included some of the funny comments that were made here. Emails
asking for permission were not answered or returned errors, so please
direct objections to being quoted to my email address.

Ian
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:08:49 PM

Ian Haberkorn wrote:
> The second finisher in the "Stupid Title Contest" now has a little game to match:
>
> Conan Kill Everything ist currently available under
>
> http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/unprocessed/ConanKi...
>
> I hope it is adequately stupid. Comments are appreciated.
>
> Ian

Quite funny game, thanks for creating/sharing it :)

LOL... although 'stupid' it was enjoyable to play.

Regards,
RootShell

--
RootShell, Lisbon, Portugal, Europe, Earth ;)
To protect against spam, the address in the "From:" header is not valid.

haberkornj@yahoo.com (Ian Haberkorn) wrote in message news:<fa8b3c27.0505031005.5cbe5a53@posting.google.com>...
> There's a Release 2 for Conan Kill everything at
>
> http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/ConanKi...
>
> Some unintentionally dumb stuff has been corrected (thanks various
> forum members!) such as the Weird Zombie Fly Bug.
>
> I also included some of the funny comments that were made here. Emails
> asking for permission were not answered or returned errors, so please
> direct objections to being quoted to my email address.
>
> Ian

Man, I've missed out by punting this thread.

I was merely poking fun at Pete Jasper's musings on The Dreamhold,
which are an excellent example of Critiscism Gone Astray, and are much
more amusing than anything I'll ever write.

But yeah, sure, you have my permission, if Mr. Jasper doesn't mind.
May 27, 2005 11:06:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Jacek (posting as "Amanda Peet")

> My point was, I guess, that most reviews of Plotkin's games are
> written by his friends and tend to be rather vague and somewhat
> extatic.

I will tell you a secret, Jacek.

There's no perceived "Establishment", no "friends of friends" who
review some authors more kindly than others. What there is are people
who have done a large amount of work and written a good deal and who
are therefore recognized by name. That's it. You can break into that
group in perhaps six months to a year of hard work, if you care to.
You don't even have to be an author or a language developer -- post
intelligently for long enough, or write a lot of reviews, or run a
contest or two, and you're there. Granted, you may not want to do
this; but please realize that most of what gets you to the supposed
center of a community like this is simple sweat-equity.

So far your trolling hasn't really bothered me: a minor nuisance at
best. I do fear, however, that by polarizing the community your
trolling may discourage people from posting legitimate criticism of
games they find flawed. You're not the only one here who thinks that
"The Dreamhold" is not a good game, but by constantly attacking Andrew
Plotkin (for whatever reasons you may have) you discourage others from
expressing their honest criticism. They fear that any critiscism that
isn't ingratiating enough (the "apotheosis" claims of a certain
reviewer whose name I won't mention is a case in point) will be looked
upon as trolling. If so is the case, that would be bad, but it's hard
to assess how much it's happening.
May 27, 2005 11:06:46 AM

!