Sign in with
Your question

Win7 freezing up online

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
March 17, 2010 11:18:31 PM

I built a Computer about 2 months ago and installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS. It ran fine for about a month but recently it has began to freeze up from around 5-30 seconds at random times. Sometimes it requires me to reboot. When it is happening I can sometimes get to Task Manager, Sometimes not. It happens when I am online gaming (without IE8 in the background) or when I am simply browsing. I have a 1.5 Mg DSL connection I have used for 2 other systems with no trouble. I tested it anyway and replaced the modem. I work for Verizon as a tech so I was able to use a test set.

I have taken may steps to resolve this trouble. I have run Malwarebytes and Avira and found no viruses. I have run memtest and Chkdsk and found no trouble. I have changed my Power options to "high performance". I have updated my Graphics card and Network drivers to the most current. I have shut it down for a while and restarted with the case open and a fan on it and it happened within 10 minutes. Reliability Monitor does not see any troubles per se but there are a few "Video hardware Errors". I am stumped! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below are the major Components of my system. thanks

Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

HIS H577FN1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGMBOX

More about : win7 freezing online

March 19, 2010 12:12:33 PM

Is this is the right Forum?
m
l
March 21, 2010 1:41:01 AM

I replaced the video card with an Nvidia 7600 and my rig is still freezing

Is there anyone out there who can help. I am really desperate. The worst part is there is no error showing up on any logs.

Could really use some help. Thanks
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2010 6:36:26 AM

mike63 said:
I replaced the video card with an Nvidia 7600 and my rig is still freezing

Is there anyone out there who can help. I am really desperate. The worst part is there is no error showing up on any logs.

Could really use some help. Thanks

All I can say is that you might need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 cause 64-bit still has patch problems and other unknown bugs. I think what is happening is Windows 7 64-Bit is conflicting with a new program installed that 64-bit cannot utilize or use properly. You might try go to a system restore point or just a fresh install with a FULL FORMAT on the drive. One more thing make sure you take the side panel off and reset the Bios on your system to reset the whole computer back to default settings. You must reset your CMOS before re-installing Windows 7 or just go into your bios by pressing the (del)key or (F2) and then finding the reset to default button in there and once set to default just save! Start the fresh install of Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks for the Question!
m
l
March 21, 2010 6:45:14 AM

If you have any other questions please ask me.

1st: Try the system restore.

2nd: Try to go to device manager by going to start>computer>system properties and then device manager and see if your hardware is having a problem with communicating with Windows 7 64bit.

3rd: You should restart your computer and Press the enter setup button to get into the bios when the computer first turns on, and then reset that back to defaults. Once you have done that put in your Windows 7 64bit disc and wait for it to boot from CD and do a re-install and a FULL Hard drive FORMAT! What most people don't know is that when you install Windows you must install it on the hardware your going to be using for the full life of the computer and if you change out a piece of that hardware you should do a Windows re-install with your Windows CD. When Windows install it sets itself to the hardware that it was installed on.

Example: It would be like taking your brain thats used to your body and putting it in a sumo wrestlers body or a 8 foot tall persons body and lets say you 4 foot or your only 125 pounds your brain wasn't wired to run a different setup thats the same way a operating system works with the hardware of a computer.

Please follow these steps on not my first post thank you!
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:14:33 AM

Thanks. This rig ran fine for about a month and then this happened. Originally I thought it was just an Online problem but it seems to be with random windows applications and happening very randomly

I was thinking that the only real change I made to this system was to delete Norton, Which came with my version, when the free trial ended, and replace it with Avira,

I just deleted Avira and still no luck but is it possible there are still elements of Norton in my registry causing problems? If so how would I get rid of them? Thanks
m
l
March 21, 2010 8:28:09 PM

mike63 said:
Thanks. This rig ran fine for about a month and then this happened. Originally I thought it was just an Online problem but it seems to be with random windows applications and happening very randomly

I was thinking that the only real change I made to this system was to delete Norton, Which came with my version, when the free trial ended, and replace it with Avira,

I just deleted Avira and still no luck but is it possible there are still elements of Norton in my registry causing problems? If so how would I get rid of them? Thanks

1st: Getting rid of them can be very hard! You can try start>run>regedit and then find each and every file from norton.

2nd: You could try the old skool way and go into your search programs and files and type in -Nor- and anything in the same field as NOR will be brought up so you might be able to find all the left over files. If you find them this way right click and delete them.

3rd:System restore or re-install.
m
l
March 31, 2010 12:03:42 PM

I finaly found my issue a few days ago. It was the Hard Drive. Sent it back to Western Digital
m
l
!