Help!

In My Computer | Properties I clicked Network ID and let the Network
Identification Wizard run. (Though I am not on a network.) Then much later
I booted. Now it logs me in as Administrator, and my Don account is not
listed when I try to switch to it. Only Admin and Guest. If I try to create
Don it says it already exists. Of course not being on Don means that I lost
all my desktop. How do I recover?

Thanks, Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Sounds like you have lost "Don" on the welcome screen?

If this is the case you can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and get the WIN2k logon
box and manualy enter the username and password.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, wwwguy1 <wwwguy1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Don Wiss" wrote:
>
>> In My Computer | Properties I clicked Network ID and let the Network
>> Identification Wizard run. (Though I am not on a network.) Then much later
>> I booted. Now it logs me in as Administrator, and my Don account is not
>> listed when I try to switch to it. Only Admin and Guest. If I try to create
>> Don it says it already exists. Of course not being on Don means that I lost
>> all my desktop. How do I recover?

>Sounds like you have lost "Don" on the welcome screen?
>
>If this is the case you can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and get the WIN2k logon
>box and manualy enter the username and password.

Okay. I got a login screen by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del when on the screen that
lists the users. I put in Don (no password) and it didn't work. So I put in
Administrator (no password) and I'm back on.

I could create a new account name and then rename the Don directory
structure to this. Probably have to do this in safe mode, but even then I
may not be able to.

I could do a system restore, though I haven't found just where this feature
is hidden. I'll do some searching and look for it.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, wwwguy1 <wwwguy1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Don Wiss" wrote:
>
>> In My Computer | Properties I clicked Network ID and let the Network
>> Identification Wizard run. (Though I am not on a network.) Then much later
>> I booted. Now it logs me in as Administrator, and my Don account is not
>> listed when I try to switch to it. Only Admin and Guest. If I try to create
>> Don it says it already exists. Of course not being on Don means that I lost
>> all my desktop. How do I recover?

>Sounds like you have lost "Don" on the welcome screen?
>
>If this is the case you can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and get the WIN2k logon
>box and manualy enter the username and password.

I have gone ahead and done a system restore. The problem had something to
do with changing the workgroup from OFFICE to WORKGROUP. But my manually
changing it back to OFFICE wasn't enough, so I did the restore.

I did have to go back four days, so now to figure out if anything needs to
be reset.

kelly

Why did you change the Workgroup name?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"I" didn't change it. As I wrote:

>>> In My Computer | Properties I clicked Network ID and let the Network
>>> Identification Wizard run. (Though I am not on a network.)

The running of that wizard changed it without any warning or indication
that it did.

kelly

My bad, I read your post wrong. Beings that Workgroup is default, was there
a reason that you initially changed it to Office? Just wondering.....

--

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:51:04 -0500, Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>My bad, I read your post wrong. Beings that Workgroup is default, was there
>a reason that you initially changed it to Office? Just wondering.....

I don't remember. When I set things up 3 1/2 years ago I choose OFFICE. I
didn't know there was a default.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:51:04 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>My bad, I read your post wrong. Beings that Workgroup is default, was there
>a reason that you initially changed it to Office? Just wondering.....

Can it be changed?