Lost user account

Help!

In My Computer | Properties I clicked Network ID and let the Network
Identification Wizard run. (Though I am not on a network.) Then much later
I booted. Now it logs me in as Administrator, and my Don account is not
listed when I try to switch to it. Only Admin and Guest. If I try to create
Don it says it already exists. Of course not being on Don means that I lost
all my desktop. How do I recover?

Thanks, Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).
8 answers Last reply
More about lost user account

    Sounds like you have lost "Don" on the welcome screen?

    If this is the case you can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and get the WIN2k logon
    box and manualy enter the username and password.

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, wwwguy1 <wwwguy1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >"Don Wiss" wrote:
    >
    >> In My Computer | Properties I clicked Network ID and let the Network
    >> Identification Wizard run. (Though I am not on a network.) Then much later
    >> I booted. Now it logs me in as Administrator, and my Don account is not
    >> listed when I try to switch to it. Only Admin and Guest. If I try to create
    >> Don it says it already exists. Of course not being on Don means that I lost
    >> all my desktop. How do I recover?

    >Sounds like you have lost "Don" on the welcome screen?
    >
    >If this is the case you can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and get the WIN2k logon
    >box and manualy enter the username and password.

    Okay. I got a login screen by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del when on the screen that
    lists the users. I put in Don (no password) and it didn't work. So I put in
    Administrator (no password) and I'm back on.

    I could create a new account name and then rename the Don directory
    structure to this. Probably have to do this in safe mode, but even then I
    may not be able to.

    I could do a system restore, though I haven't found just where this feature
    is hidden. I'll do some searching and look for it.

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, wwwguy1 <wwwguy1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >"Don Wiss" wrote:
    >
    >> In My Computer | Properties I clicked Network ID and let the Network
    >> Identification Wizard run. (Though I am not on a network.) Then much later
    >> I booted. Now it logs me in as Administrator, and my Don account is not
    >> listed when I try to switch to it. Only Admin and Guest. If I try to create
    >> Don it says it already exists. Of course not being on Don means that I lost
    >> all my desktop. How do I recover?

    >Sounds like you have lost "Don" on the welcome screen?
    >
    >If this is the case you can hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice and get the WIN2k logon
    >box and manualy enter the username and password.

    I have gone ahead and done a system restore. The problem had something to
    do with changing the workgroup from OFFICE to WORKGROUP. But my manually
    changing it back to OFFICE wasn't enough, so I did the restore.

    I did have to go back four days, so now to figure out if anything needs to
    be reset.

    Why did you change the Workgroup name?

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "I" didn't change it. As I wrote:

    >>> In My Computer | Properties I clicked Network ID and let the Network
    >>> Identification Wizard run. (Though I am not on a network.)

    The running of that wizard changed it without any warning or indication
    that it did.

    My bad, I read your post wrong. Beings that Workgroup is default, was there
    a reason that you initially changed it to Office? Just wondering.....

    --

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:51:04 -0500, Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >My bad, I read your post wrong. Beings that Workgroup is default, was there
    >a reason that you initially changed it to Office? Just wondering.....

    I don't remember. When I set things up 3 1/2 years ago I choose OFFICE. I
    didn't know there was a default.

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:51:04 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >My bad, I read your post wrong. Beings that Workgroup is default, was there
    >a reason that you initially changed it to Office? Just wondering.....

    Can it be changed?

Microsoft Windows XP