Older Hard Drive + new build?

gas4u

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
my PC broke down, so now i am planning on getting a new build. i kept the Hard Drive from the old PC because it has a lot of stuff and Windows 7 and also BF3 on it. now if i build the new PC, can i just "stick" the Hard Drive in there and it will work? i know the drivers have to update then (if it works).

im tryign to do this while keeping all files, and windows7. also i dont want to delete BF3 since internt is very slow to download it again.

NOTE: the OS came with the older PC. so i dont have a CD/DVD for it. also is there a way to reinstall windows 7 (if i can get the CD) without deleting any of the files and everything still running smooth?

thanks for the help

It may work with the new hardware(with driver updates) Windows 7 is much better that XP was, but the OS may require you to re-activate, and if it is an OEM license you may run into issues activating it, and MS could require you to purchase a new license.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
If you have the disk for the OS it shouldn't be too difficult, depending on how your current installation was and whether or not you can get the OS to work with the new PC. And it's also a good idea to save your installation software so that way if you do need to reinstall you would have access to it.

dingo07

Distinguished
It's very unlikely you will put the old drive in new hardware without issues - but it can work. You aren't going to know until you try, and to that, there's no way to know to what extent of issues you might have.
With the new build, it's best practice to get a new Windows 7 installed fresh on a newer, faster drive. It's not worth the headaches to do it the other way.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
^ +1

You can always do all your major downloads overnight & i think there are downloading programs that you can manage so if you can only dl one major file at once you can manage them so that other major programs could be ready for download.

Something like this: http://download.cnet.com/Internet-Download-Manager/3000-2071_4-10071618.html

I don't use that program and generally use Google Chrome but someone might have another suggestion for this situation.

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Personally I'd just get an SSD for your new build along with Win 7. Hook everything up install Win 7 on the SSD, and once your inside windows from the SSD if your HDD is hooked up you should be able to use/browse through it. You could also do this with an HDD but i'm biased towards SSD's, you will be too if you get one lol.

gas4u

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
hmmm. ya, i was expecting to run into problems. im gana try for sure. the CPU comes in tomo so i can start putting things together. now the OS is OEM so i dont have the CD. so my biggest concern is this. if i have to reinstall W7 (i can get a CD for it from a friend for cheap) will i have to format the Drive? you see BF3 is BIG and i will need to download it off the EA's origin.

thanks for all who replied BTW :D
this is my first build and im nervous about not breaking anything xD