Ryder98

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004
For a newbie.

I just had a brief glance at some of the guides here on the site, but I've got no further understanding on what DVD-Rw to purchase; basically, I'm looking for a DVD-Rw to burn movies with, but all this double-layer, single-layer stuff is confusing me immensely.

Can anyone recommend a DVD-Rw, or advise what DVD-Rw's would be a good purchase? Money isn't an issue if it's matched by quality, I just need a perspective on things.

I checked out Overclockers.co.uk and had a look at the LG GSA-4160BA, LiteOn SOHW-1633S, and a Pioneer one.. But the stats meant nothing to me. =/

Appreciate any help!

-Ryder

lotrtrotk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
I have a Pioneer DVR-108. Very good burner for just over $100 canadian. It can do basically anything you'll need a burner to do right now, and still contend as newer stuff comes out. It is capable of 16x & most media is only 8x so theres room for growth. It can also do dual layer, so you'll be set when/if the price for dual layer media ever comes down to a reasonable price.

NCIX has it cheap -> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12457&vpn=DVR-108D&manufacture=Pioneer

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The most common supported format for players is DVD-R. Many players won't support DVD+R or dual layer versions of it.

Most movies are now dual layer, which means they have to be shrunk to fit a DVD-R disk. This can be done with minimal loss in quality using programs like DVD-Shrink.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
If you are in the UK a NEC 3500A should be easy to get. Another good one is the LiteON SOHW-832S. Both reasonably priced and their firmware is updated as required to try and stay current.

....WW (5.0)

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
I've always had good luck with the LG drives. Also, they can be had in DL format for around $90 canadian.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

RichPLS

Champion
Best drive on the planet is <A HREF="http://www.plextor.com/english/products/716SA.htm" target="_new"> Plextor PX716SA </A>

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>