Dell Dimension 9200

peterunsfast

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Hi all

Just wanted to know your opinions on this Dell system. I currently own a Dell Dimension 4500 and have had no trouble with it in 4.5 years.

Base:Intel® Vii Cor 2 Duo E6600 Processor
Microsoft Operating System:Genuine Windows Vist Home Premium
Hardware Support:Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
Monitor:Del 20" UltraSharp Wide Aspect Digital/Analogue Flat Panel (2007FPW)
Memory:2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz
Hard Drive:500GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe
Video Card:256MB nVidia® GeForce® 7900GS
CD/DVD Drives:16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Basically I was thinking about building my own but don't really have the time. I'm not going to overclock, again no time for that.

The big plus of the above system is the included monitor. Much better than the one I could afford for a home built system. I know the graphics card will obviously need replacing fairly soon. I would probably wait for competition to develop between dx10 cards and for the prices to drop before wading into that arena.

Anyway, what do you think? Does anyone own a Dell Dimension 9200?

Cheers

I don't own it, but it looks like a good system. My only advice is that you be careful with the RAID 0. If something happens to one of the drives, you lose all of your data. I'm not saying don't do it, just back up all of your files every once in a while. If you plan on upgrading the GPU also factor in the cost of a new PSU, since Dell's are usually a little weak. I own a Dimension 8400 which was the predasesor of that one and have had no problems what so ever.