January 9, 2013 4:11:59 AM

I just ordered a laptop with these specs:

Processor:
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM

Graphics:
2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M

RAM:
32GB 1600MHZ DDR3 SDRAM (4 x 8GB)
(I know it's overkill, they gave me the extra RAM over 16GB for free.)

SSD and HDD:
64GB mSATA SSD and 750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

Screen:
17.3" (43.94 cm) WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD

Windows® 7 Professional SP1 64bit

Wireless Card:
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 With Bluetooth 4.0

Optical Drive:
Slot Load Fixed Blu-ray BD-ROM / DVD + /-RW Combo Drive

Speakers:
2.0 Speaker configuration with Audio Powered by Klipsch

Webcam and mics:
FullHD Camera with dual digital microphones

Battery:
9-cell Primary Battery

How well would you rate this?

Any answers are appreciated! :) 
a b D Laptop
January 29, 2013 6:12:32 PM

With a laptop the main concern is battery life and everything uses some amount of power. The thing that stands out to me is the ram and yes that's great that they gave you the second 16gb for free but unless your doing photo editing or graphic design you won't use anything over 8gb. So even ordering 16gb is overkill and won't be used , maybe you can sell some of it to cut down on battery use.
All the parts that you listed are top performance parts for a laptop and you must be going to do gaming on it. So for that it's a top rated laptop and you should be able to play any game at high settings , but battery life will be short and you will have to be pluged in for extended game times.
A 64gb SSD will be tight for the OS and if you want to put games on it along with any applications , so you will have to make sure that your putting everything on the hard drive and watch the available space on the SSD because you don't want to go past 75% capacity or the SSD will start to slow it's performance advantage.

You have obviously intended to buy a top of the line gaming laptop and with the parts that you specified you have done that and will be able to play any game you choose.
February 10, 2013 9:36:11 AM

Thank you very much. :) 
Battery life isn't a concern for me as I have it plugged in all of the time.
The SSD is set up in Raid 0.
I am doing video editing/photo editing/gaming, so the extra ram is a bonus, even if it is overkill.
Awesome.
Thanks. :) 
Related resources
February 10, 2013 9:36:17 AM

I am doing video editing/photo editing/gaming, so the extra ram is a bonus, even if it is overkill.
Awesome.
February 10, 2013 9:36:44 AM

Awesome.
February 12, 2013 1:11:48 AM

This probably isn't the place to post but you mentioned 2.0 Speakers? Is this good? I've seen stuff like 7.0 7.1 / 5.1 etc.? What's good, bad, worse, best???? Thank You :p 
!