I'm going to start to write IF again...

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,rec.arts.int-fiction (More info?)

In 1982 I got my first computer--a Commodore VIC-20. One of the early games
that I played was "The Count" by Scott Adams. It seemed like a radical idea
at the time, using words to describe what was going on rather than graphics.
Although the two-word parser is too primitive by today's standards, to
someone who is 9 years old this was an unbelievable experience.

I was a terrible programmer back then, I sadly tried to attempt to write my
own adventures, but my parser consisted of trying to determine every
possible command in a particular room (example: INPUT C$:IF C$="GET AXE"
THEN PRINT"IT'S NOT HERE".... IF C$="GET WOOD" AND W=0 THEN W=1:pRINT"WOOD
TAKEN", etc). The VIC-20 manual didn't get too deep in the details of
programming. Plus, with only 3.5K of RAM, my adventure games were only 7-8
rooms at best because of the many IF statements.

My problem was solved when I got "Write Your Own Adventure Programs"
published by Usborne Books (http://tinyurl.com/aohrz). This was a quantum
leap for me for improving my programming ability. I had no idea that I
could use arrays, string parsing (mid$, left$, right$). I wrote many text
adventures, none were published, but I had fun, mulling over my code for
hours before making my game perfect.

Years later, fast-forward to 2005 and feeling nostalgic about old computer
games, I search Google and I find several websites dedicated to Interactive
Fiction. I like the idea that there is a universal programming language
(zcode) that is independent of platform. My primary computer gaming
platform today is the Gameboy Advance and I was pleasantly surprised to find
a zcode interpreter for it (GBAFrotz). Now I can re-play my favorite Scott
Adams classics while I commute to and from work. There seems to be a
problem with the save game option, but it works for the Infocom games.

Oh, I'm also reading the zcode programmer's manual. I'll be getting into
writing IF again. Perhaps in a few months I'll be contributing to the IF
archive.

HIT Fanatic wrote:
> In 1982 I got my first computer--a Commodore VIC-20. One of
> the early games that I played was "The Count" by Scott Adams.
> [...]
> Oh, I'm also reading the zcode programmer's manual. I'll be
> getting into writing IF again. Perhaps in a few months I'll be
> contributing to the IF archive.

Well, good. Your story is remarkably similar to a lot of people's
around here.

If you have programming questions, remember to post those
to rec.arts.int-fiction rather than rec.games.int-fiction (which
is for player-perspective subjects rather than authorial issues).

--
J. Robinson Wheeler Games: http://raddial.com/if/
JRW Digital Media Movie: http://thekroneexperiment.com/

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,rec.arts.int-fiction (More info?)

I had the same sort of experience as you did. I expect many people here did
the same.

> someone who is 9 years old this was an unbelievable experience.

At the risk of dating myself/sounding like a crotchety-old-geezer type, it's
too bad this view no longer seems to be widely held by the general populace.

--G

"HIT Fanatic" <coblgp@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<42600f49$1_1@news.cybersurf.net>...
> In 1982 I got my first computer--a Commodore VIC-20. One of the early games
> that I played was "The Count" by Scott Adams. It seemed like a radical idea
> at the time, using words to describe what was going on rather than graphics.
> Although the two-word parser is too primitive by today's standards, to
> someone who is 9 years old this was an unbelievable experience.

*wow* This is EXACTLY what happened to me (1982, VIC-20, The Count),
except that I was thirteen.

My first self-written program used up all of the 16-kb ram expansion
cartridge. You were a miniature submarine in a patient's bloodstream
and had to save him.
(It was always a laserable liver tumor which could be accessed via the
small intestine... Oh well).

Ian

dgenglish@hotmail.com wrote in message news:<1113780611.853569.68250@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
> I'd be curious to go back and play that game again, but I no longer
> have a Commodore 64, and I'm not sure how I'd load the game from a
> floppy disk onto todays generation of computers.

A good C64 Emulator for PC is "FRODO". That doesn't solve your problem
how to get the program off your vintage diskette, though.

Ian

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction,rec.arts.int-fiction (More info?)

In article <1113780611.853569.68250@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<dgenglish@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'd be curious to go back and play that game again, but I no longer
>have a Commodore 64, and I'm not sure how I'd load the game from a
>floppy disk onto todays generation of computers.

There is a shareware Commodore 64 emulator at
http://www.computerbrains.com/ccs64/
I've never tried it -- it was the first hit found in a Google search for
"commodore 64 emulator"

Ian Haberkorn wrote:
> A good C64 Emulator for PC is "FRODO". That doesn't solve your problem
> how to get the program off your vintage diskette, though.

These days the most accurate emulator is VICE:
http://www.viceteam.org/

To get data off old disks (assuming they're not copy protected), you'll
need a 1541 disk drive, a suitable cable and Star Commander:
http://sta.c64.org/sc.html

Getting data off copy protected disks is (sometimes) possible, but it's
a lot more work ...

David