Two Q's: Icon Refresh/Can't Open Files

July 10, 2005 8:26:03 PM

Hey Everyone!
I have two questions.. hopefully I can get some direction to remedy
my computer's mals.

1: Windows XP SP2 starts normally no prob.. when i open a folder and close
the folder, my desktop icons disappear and refresh... and slowly appear
again.. how can i stop this.. or can I stop it?

2: I have a 2nd hard drive partitioned ... some files on this drive arent
allowing me to open them... an error states that the file may be in use or i
dont have access privileges.. hmmm... any suggestions to fix this...

Thanks for your time
any help will be greatly appreciated..
J.Alva
July 11, 2005 12:05:21 AM

J.Alva wrote:

> Hey Everyone!
> I have two questions.. hopefully I can get some direction to remedy
> my computer's mals.
>
> 1: Windows XP SP2 starts normally no prob.. when i open a folder and
> close the folder, my desktop icons disappear and refresh... and slowly
> appear again.. how can i stop this.. or can I stop it?
>
> 2: I have a 2nd hard drive partitioned ... some files on this drive
> arent allowing me to open them... an error states that the file may be
> in use or i dont have access privileges.. hmmm... any suggestions to
> fix this...

For question 1, since you didn't include any information about your
computer specs, try updating your video card drivers. Get the drivers
from the device mftr.'s website or if you have an OEM machine (HP,
Dell, Sony, etc.) from the OEM's website for your specific model
computer.

For question 2, take ownership of the files:

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell