This operation has been cancelled... restrictions in effect

Using ie, since some time ago I get this error message when I try to click on
tools-> internet options.

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect... "

i'm the administrator and only user of the computer. What can I do?

Thank you.

If you are running Windows XP Professional - Have you set any custom IE
settings (or other Windows Settings) in Group Policy Editor? Or installed
any add-ons for Internet Explorer?

"Reinaldo" <Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using ie, since some time ago I get this error message when I try to click
> on
> tools-> internet options.
>
> "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect... "
>
> i'm the administrator and only user of the computer. What can I do?
>
> Thank you.

Patrick;

I understand that the answer is no to both.

But I must confess; that's a broad question. So let me be more specific:
1. Yes I'm running Windows XP professional
2. I have not set any custom IE settngs in group policy editor. didn't even
know there was a property editor.
3. I've noticed that Add-ons download themselves some times. I'm always
disabeling any "unknown-to-me" add-ons.

I've found out that the reason I was getting the error is due to a
restriction set in the registry
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions"

I had an entry there "nobrowseroption" set to 1. I changed it to 0 and
problem solved. But now I discover that I'm not allowed to change my default
page. Can you help?

Thanks.

"Patrick Elliott" wrote:

> If you are running Windows XP Professional - Have you set any custom IE
> settings (or other Windows Settings) in Group Policy Editor? Or installed
> any add-ons for Internet Explorer?
>
> "Reinaldo" <Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Using ie, since some time ago I get this error message when I try to click
> > on
> > tools-> internet options.
> >
> > "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect... "
> >
> > i'm the administrator and only user of the computer. What can I do?
> >
> > Thank you.

Home page setting changes unexpectedly, or you cannot change your home
page setting
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320159

--
William

> Patrick;
>
> I understand that the answer is no to both.
>
> But I must confess; that's a broad question. So let me be more
> specific:
> 1. Yes I'm running Windows XP professional
> 2. I have not set any custom IE settngs in group policy editor.
> didn't even
> know there was a property editor.
> 3. I've noticed that Add-ons download themselves some times. I'm
> always
> disabeling any "unknown-to-me" add-ons.
>
> I've found out that the reason I was getting the error is due to a
> restriction set in the registry
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Restrictions"
>
> I had an entry there "nobrowseroption" set to 1. I changed it to 0
> and
> problem solved. But now I discover that I'm not allowed to change my
> default
> page. Can you help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Patrick Elliott" wrote:
>
>> If you are running Windows XP Professional - Have you set any custom
>> IE
>> settings (or other Windows Settings) in Group Policy Editor? Or
>> installed
>> any add-ons for Internet Explorer?
>>
>> "Reinaldo" <Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Using ie, since some time ago I get this error message when I try
>> > to click
>> > on
>> > tools-> internet options.
>> >
>> > "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect...
>> > "
>> >
>> > i'm the administrator and only user of the computer. What can I
>> > do?
>> >
>> > Thank you.

Hi Reinaldo, I found this article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159 , which seems
to deal at least in part with your problem,

Steps 6-11 seem to be specific to this issue, hope this helps,

--
Patrick Elliott

Have you run WindowsUpdate lately?
Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to be sure Windows is up to date.

"Reinaldo" <Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Patrick;
>
> I understand that the answer is no to both.
>
> But I must confess; that's a broad question. So let me be more specific:
> 1. Yes I'm running Windows XP professional
> 2. I have not set any custom IE settngs in group policy editor. didn't
> even
> know there was a property editor.
> 3. I've noticed that Add-ons download themselves some times. I'm always
> disabeling any "unknown-to-me" add-ons.
>
> I've found out that the reason I was getting the error is due to a
> restriction set in the registry
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Restrictions"
>
> I had an entry there "nobrowseroption" set to 1. I changed it to 0 and
> problem solved. But now I discover that I'm not allowed to change my
> default
> page. Can you help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Patrick Elliott" wrote:
>
>> If you are running Windows XP Professional - Have you set any custom IE
>> settings (or other Windows Settings) in Group Policy Editor? Or
>> installed
>> any add-ons for Internet Explorer?
>>
>> "Reinaldo" <Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Using ie, since some time ago I get this error message when I try to
>> > click
>> > on
>> > tools-> internet options.
>> >
>> > "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect... "
>> >
>> > i'm the administrator and only user of the computer. What can I do?
>> >
>> > Thank you.

Patrick;

The article had the info. Thank you. That is also solved now.

Please take a look at another thread I'll be starting in a little while.
See if you can also help with that.

Best regards,

Reinaldo Crespo.

"Patrick Elliott" wrote:

> Hi Reinaldo, I found this article
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159 , which seems
> to deal at least in part with your problem,
>
> Steps 6-11 seem to be specific to this issue, hope this helps,
>
> --
> Patrick Elliott
>
> Have you run WindowsUpdate lately?
> Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to be sure Windows is up to date.
>
> "Reinaldo" <Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Patrick;
> >
> > I understand that the answer is no to both.
> >
> > But I must confess; that's a broad question. So let me be more specific:
> > 1. Yes I'm running Windows XP professional
> > 2. I have not set any custom IE settngs in group policy editor. didn't
> > even
> > know there was a property editor.
> > 3. I've noticed that Add-ons download themselves some times. I'm always
> > disabeling any "unknown-to-me" add-ons.
> >
> > I've found out that the reason I was getting the error is due to a
> > restriction set in the registry
> > "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
> > Explorer\Restrictions"
> >
> > I had an entry there "nobrowseroption" set to 1. I changed it to 0 and
> > problem solved. But now I discover that I'm not allowed to change my
> > default
> > page. Can you help?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Patrick Elliott" wrote:
> >
> >> If you are running Windows XP Professional - Have you set any custom IE
> >> settings (or other Windows Settings) in Group Policy Editor? Or
> >> installed
> >> any add-ons for Internet Explorer?
> >>
> >> "Reinaldo" <Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kelly

Hi,

Common issue, especially if you have been recently hijacked. The tools I
will list after the fix, keep them handy and run them often.

Line 225 and/or 268: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Combo mentioned beforehand:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Reinaldo" <Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using ie, since some time ago I get this error message when I try to click
> on
> tools-> internet options.
>
> "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect... "
>
> i'm the administrator and only user of the computer. What can I do?
>
> Thank you.

Use Regedit.exe and search for NoBrowserOptions and remove it.
It is most likely to be here (but not necessarily)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Restrictions
If you are unfamiliar with Regedit, then ensure you know how to
restore your Registry in case of error and it is a good to export any
key before deleting.

Check the startup (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab) for any unknown
items if it is reset on reboot.

You might try this snippet from Mike Burgess first if you use SpyBot:
'Did you by chance run SpyBot's Immunize feature?
If so, you can unlock by unchecking the option to "Protect IE Control
Panel" '

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, "Reinaldo"
<Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using ie, since some time ago I get this error message when I try to click on
>tools-> internet options.
>
>"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect... "
>
>i'm the administrator and only user of the computer. What can I do?
>
>Thank you.

Alan;

Funny you mention spyboot. Yes I run it every once in a while. That was
probably what did it.

Thank you for the input.

Best regards,

Reinaldo Crespo

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> Use Regedit.exe and search for NoBrowserOptions and remove it.
> It is most likely to be here (but not necessarily)
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Restrictions
> If you are unfamiliar with Regedit, then ensure you know how to
> restore your Registry in case of error and it is a good to export any
> key before deleting.
>
> Check the startup (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab) for any unknown
> items if it is reset on reboot.
>
> You might try this snippet from Mike Burgess first if you use SpyBot:
> 'Did you by chance run SpyBot's Immunize feature?
> If so, you can unlock by unchecking the option to "Protect IE Control
> Panel" '
>
> ....Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, "Reinaldo"
> <Reinaldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Using ie, since some time ago I get this error message when I try to click on
> >tools-> internet options.
> >
> >"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect... "
> >
> >i'm the administrator and only user of the computer. What can I do?
> >
> >Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS