Please Help! RAM's fried and I need my computer

oron

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I have an MSI K8N Neo Platinum board running two sticks of Corsair Valueselect 512mb DDR400. A freak videocard problem a while back fried the RAM making the system totally unstable and barely usable. I'm sending off the RAM to get replaced, but in the meantime my machine is dead (without RAM).

I was thinking I would just buy a 3rd stick for temporary use and then run 1.5gb's when i get my ram back, since my computer has 3 slots. But the corsair tech support guy said that my MSI wouldn't support 3 double-sided sticks (it would just read them as single sided) and that it would drop to DDR 333.

Is this true? Am I stuck? Any suggestions? It's going to be a week or more before I see that RAM and I really need access to my computer for work.

IDEAS???

Thanks!

-Olen

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably true, yes, I've seen several people complain of DDR333 forced when using 3 DIMMs.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>