Backing Up Windows...

I have a DVD Burner and want to backup Windows XP.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Third Party program? Or using
Windows XP Backup System Utility? Do I need to back up the whole system or
just transfer files and settings? How do you do the restore?

I have Ghost 2003. Do I need another program to back up the data?

Thanks!

Barry
4 answers Last reply
More about backing windows

    HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

    Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp

    I would suggest investing in a good external backup drive.

    Examples:

    Maxtor OneTouch II
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/OneTouch%20II%20Family/Maxtor%20OneTouch%20II%20FireWire%20and%20USB

    Western Digital Dual-Option Media Center
    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=77

    Where to Buy
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=414

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "SQLNow" wrote:

    | I have a DVD Burner and want to backup Windows XP.
    |
    | What is the best way to accomplish this? Third Party program? Or using
    | Windows XP Backup System Utility? Do I need to back up the whole system or
    | just transfer files and settings? How do you do the restore?
    |
    | I have Ghost 2003. Do I need another program to back up the data?
    |
    | Thanks!
    |
    | Barry

    Thanks Carey,

    It appears you can backup to a network drive. Or I was thinking about
    getting a external USB drive to make backups to as you suggested.

    Hopefully, someone will suggest some third party will possibly suggest some
    way of making a backup to a DVD.

    Thanks again!

    SQLNow

    "" wrote:
    > I have a DVD Burner and want to backup Windows XP.
    >
    > What is the best way to accomplish this? Third Party program?
    > Or using
    > Windows XP Backup System Utility? Do I need to back up the
    > whole system or
    > just transfer files and settings? How do you do the restore?
    >
    > I have Ghost 2003. Do I need another program to back up the
    > data?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Barry

    I personaly think the best method would be to use another hard drive,
    msbackup is quite capable of making a back up of all system files and
    every thing using this method
    how ever, i belive ghost is capable of making a exact copy of the hard
    drive to the second hard drive, so incase windows brakes at a critical
    point in time, you can just replace the hard drive with the backup,
    and hay presto, your computer is working agian, and asuming you plug
    the broken one back in as slave, you should be able to access all
    files and folders on the drive, asuming the reason windows broke was
    becasue the HD died.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Backing-Windows-ftopict555412.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765051

    "SQLNow" <youngbar@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Carey,
    >
    > It appears you can backup to a network drive. Or I was thinking about
    > getting a external USB drive to make backups to as you suggested.
    >
    > Hopefully, someone will suggest some third party will possibly suggest
    > some way of making a backup to a DVD.

    Although there are ways of backing up directly to DVD, in my experience, it
    slows the process down significantly. I much prefer to image to the HD and,
    at my discretion, copy to removable media or removable HD after.

    mxh

    > Thanks again!
    >
    > SQLNow
    >> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in
    >> Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> I would suggest investing in a good external backup drive.
    >>
    >> Examples:
    >>
    >> Maxtor OneTouch II
    >> http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/OneTouch%20II%20Family/Maxtor%20OneTouch%20II%20FireWire%20and%20USB
    >>
    >> Western Digital Dual-Option Media Center
    >> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=77
    >>
    >> Where to Buy
    >> http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=414
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "SQLNow" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I have a DVD Burner and want to backup Windows XP.
    >> |
    >> | What is the best way to accomplish this? Third Party program? Or
    >> using
    >> | Windows XP Backup System Utility? Do I need to back up the whole
    >> system or
    >> | just transfer files and settings? How do you do the restore?
    >> |
    >> | I have Ghost 2003. Do I need another program to back up the data?
    >> |
    >> | Thanks!
    >> |
    >> | Barry

Backup Windows XP Product