I have a DVD Burner and want to backup Windows XP.

What is the best way to accomplish this? Third Party program? Or using
Windows XP Backup System Utility? Do I need to back up the whole system or
just transfer files and settings? How do you do the restore?

I have Ghost 2003. Do I need another program to back up the data?

Thanks!

Barry

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp

I would suggest investing in a good external backup drive.

Examples:

Maxtor OneTouch II
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/OneTouch%20II%20Family/Maxtor%20OneTouch%20II%20FireWire%20and%20USB

Western Digital Dual-Option Media Center
http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=77

Where to Buy
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=414

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"SQLNow" wrote:

| I have a DVD Burner and want to backup Windows XP.
|
| What is the best way to accomplish this? Third Party program? Or using
| Windows XP Backup System Utility? Do I need to back up the whole system or
| just transfer files and settings? How do you do the restore?
|
| I have Ghost 2003. Do I need another program to back up the data?
|
| Thanks!
|
| Barry

Thanks Carey,

It appears you can backup to a network drive. Or I was thinking about
getting a external USB drive to make backups to as you suggested.

Hopefully, someone will suggest some third party will possibly suggest some
way of making a backup to a DVD.

Thanks again!

SQLNow
> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
>
> Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255&Product=winxp
>
> I would suggest investing in a good external backup drive.
>
> Examples:
>
> Maxtor OneTouch II
> http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/OneTouch%20II%20Family/Maxtor%20OneTouch%20II%20FireWire%20and%20USB
>
> Western Digital Dual-Option Media Center
> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=77
>
> Where to Buy
> http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=414
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "SQLNow" wrote:
>
> | I have a DVD Burner and want to backup Windows XP.
> |
> | What is the best way to accomplish this? Third Party program? Or using
> | Windows XP Backup System Utility? Do I need to back up the whole system
> or
> | just transfer files and settings? How do you do the restore?
> |
> | I have Ghost 2003. Do I need another program to back up the data?
> |
> | Thanks!
> |
> | Barry

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I have a DVD Burner and want to backup Windows XP.
>
> What is the best way to accomplish this? Third Party program?
> Or using
> Windows XP Backup System Utility? Do I need to back up the
> whole system or
> just transfer files and settings? How do you do the restore?
>
> I have Ghost 2003. Do I need another program to back up the
> data?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Barry

I personaly think the best method would be to use another hard drive,
msbackup is quite capable of making a back up of all system files and
every thing using this method
how ever, i belive ghost is capable of making a exact copy of the hard
drive to the second hard drive, so incase windows brakes at a critical
point in time, you can just replace the hard drive with the backup,
and hay presto, your computer is working agian, and asuming you plug
the broken one back in as slave, you should be able to access all
files and folders on the drive, asuming the reason windows broke was
becasue the HD died.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Backing-Windows-ftopict555412.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765051

"SQLNow" <youngbar@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Carey,
>
> It appears you can backup to a network drive. Or I was thinking about
> getting a external USB drive to make backups to as you suggested.
>
> Hopefully, someone will suggest some third party will possibly suggest
> some way of making a backup to a DVD.

Although there are ways of backing up directly to DVD, in my experience, it
slows the process down significantly. I much prefer to image to the HD and,
at my discretion, copy to removable media or removable HD after.

mxh