chupathingy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
I have 4 ram slots in my motherboard. Two of them are dual channel 256 pc3200 that came with the computer. Should i get a single 512 stick or get 2 dual channel 256 sticks? Also what is the best manufacturer? Right now im looking at crucial and corsair. Thanx in advance.

RichPLS

Champion
if you get one stick, you loose dual channell, I would get two sticks of 512mb additional.
but at min, get 2x256

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That depends on your motherboard/chipset. Some systems offer significant performance gains with dual channel enabled, others don't.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

chupathingy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2004
I have a p4 3.0ghz and a msi-7046 pci-e mobo. The chipset is intel i915p/i915g. Does this help at all with the decision? Also i had a question about the dual channel. Do i have to buy the 2 sticks in the same package or can i buy them seperately but at the same time? This is for the dual channel.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chupathingy on 11/13/04 04:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
Your board is dual channel, and by buying a matched pair together, you are more likely to get them working at their rated speed and timings.

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You should by a matched pair because your board supports a large increase in performance from that configuration. Buying 2 at the same time means they're more likely to be a close match, but today's memory is good enough that you usually don't have to.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>