Sign in with
Your question

Why do I keep buying Linux?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
January 22, 2001 3:12:52 PM

I don't get it, am I hooked to marketing or do I just like seeing what is new out on the market. I keep forking out money to buy the latest version of Linux from Redhat, or Suse for no damn reason. I load it up, get it running, say this is a cool alternative, then format my drive and go back to Windows so I can do all the things I do now on my machines. Does anyone else have the problem buying this software and then filing in your hundreds of CD's than don't get used?

More about : buying linux

January 22, 2001 7:48:45 PM

Why don't you just download it free from their FTP site?
Anonymous
January 23, 2001 1:01:46 PM

I just keep trying to find a way to use Linux to hook up to the internet and run 3ds Max. If I could do that, then I would be using Linux most of the time. Unfortunately, I cannot find an easy way of changing 3ds Max from Windows to Linux. Of course, I cannot figure out how to dial up an ISP yet, but I think it's just a matter of time now. Hmm... also I need to find some good web-page editing software for Linux. Anybody know of any (using a UI, not just HTML)?

Later!
Charles
Related resources
January 23, 2001 3:19:54 PM

HTML formatting: VI

--
NarN - Ruling the world
January 27, 2001 1:23:29 PM

I agree. I had a friend that swore by Linux. I finally bought a copy (I think it was Read Hat). I got it installed... (On a seperate Computer). I then loaded it every once in a while and looked at it. Yep just looked. There was nothing I could do with it. I didn't want to set up a Server or anything like that and none of the Soft ware that I use daily would run on Linux so all I could do was look at it.

Someday maybe Linux will be an OS for the User. BUT until there is a standard, that won't happen. I will keep watching and if it ever becomes an OS for the User I might try it again.

You know, it's funny. I read on these boards how Windows is such a bad OS. Lots of problems are aired. The funny thing is that there is SO MUCH Software out there that people load and misuse to the poing of screwing up the OS and then they blame the OS. When the Software base gets to the size of Windows for Linux, it will get screwed up also. It's like a Guy I knew that drove his car on worn brake pads to the point it distroyed the brake disks. It cost a fortune to replace them. He blamed the Car Manufacture for the problem.
Anonymous
January 28, 2001 11:40:24 AM

I think that users shouldn't choose between Linux or Windows. They're both great OSs and have their strengths. I have Debian Linux (2.4 and 2.2.12), Windows 98 and Windows 2000 installed on my computer. Most often I use Linux.
That's because I study information technology in university and Linux provides a good platform for that. It's free, it's "Unix", it's good network support and it has good software development tools.
If you want to learn to use Unix, I think that playing with Linux is the best way. Unix and Linux are important platforms in the IT-world. The university's servers are (of course) Unix-based and Linux works very well with them. I can run X over the network (meaning that I can run applications over the network (T1)).
That's just saying that Linux can be very useful OS. It's just not for everyone and everything. If I play games (other than freecell) I switch to Windows. I just try not to waste my time playing all the time... When I write a document, which is important, I switch to Windows and use M$ Word. MS Visual Studio is also a very good development platform. It just is quite expensive. The best thing about Linux is that almost everything can be had for free (legally).
If you're happy with Windows, then why should you change to Linux. For me it's an advantage to know Linux, Unix and Windows. Knowledge is power.
Anonymous
January 29, 2001 6:33:14 PM

Hmm, Sounds like the perfect oportunity to suggest Linux from scratch. Just use one of those old RedHat 6.x discs U have as a base system and start reading and following the book. I'd bet you's enjoy that some. You may not decide to switch over to Linunx completely, but then you would no longer be trapped in all the marketing hype put out by RH, etc...

BTW, the next release of LFS (3.0.0) will be linux-2.4.x, glibx-2.2.x, and ,god willing, gcc-3.0.x based. There's all ready hints and stuff for doing this with current LFS if look through the Mailing list archives.

Just follow the link in the sig...

~flake

--
U want to really *know* Linux?
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/&lt;/A>
February 3, 2001 7:37:40 PM

Linux Sucks!
Linux Sucks!
Linux Sucks!
Linux Sucks!

And it´s just a better implementation of UNIX!
That Torwald guy is a fake!

"I´m Going Down!...Down!Down!Down!Down!Down!" - Joe Satriani in G3 Live
February 7, 2001 10:27:17 AM

No Way, Jose!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone
February 8, 2001 8:33:11 AM

Hi,

First of all, I don't look at Linux, I USE it since 1995. IMHO it IS an OS for the desktop by now, unfortunately it still needs at some skill and knowledge to work with. (not much: my wife recently managed to install SuSE 7.0 without my help. And beleive me: she isn't into tech stuff at all...) But, once up & running, it can be used for anything, office, science, mail, chat, www browsing etc. There are a million and one features. The only thing which is mainly left to Windows are games and some sort of funky web sites. That's solved with dual-boot, vmware or (for patient freaks) wine or dosemu. Or simply get games from companies like lokigames.
Why am I doing this? Why not just buy Win 98 or ME or 2K and be happy? Because I'm tired of spending money on a black box (MS doesn't want me to know what's inside Windows) which isn't finished the time I get it, means go find all the patches and service packs :-(. And I'm fed up with the tech and legal limitations of that thing. Either it can't do it or it's forbidden! And, at the bootom line, using any Windows I have to deal with the very same problems that Users complain about Linux: drivers, dll's and compatibilities! Not to forget the registry issues... And, last but not least, why do I have to upgrade my PC whenever I get a new Windows XY?

My way: Win for games, Linux (distribution) for work and linuxfromscratch to learn what makes an OS tick.

IceDragon

Never buy Linux just 'cause its "in" now...
February 8, 2001 9:08:15 AM

Well, Linux Sucks!

But Windows Sucks too!

Let´s get back to MS-DOS 5.0 ! Now that was a cool OS!

February 13, 2001 4:42:02 PM

AmigaOS once ruled!!!

->My english may be not so good, but you havent see my japanese!!!!
February 13, 2001 6:56:31 PM

DOS 6.22 or DOS 3.3 -- anything in between isn't worth mentioning...

anyhoo, regarding just looking at Linux -- same thing happened to me zillion times... I loaded various distros with no problem, said "wow that's pretty" and then went back to windows...
the trick is,you can DO almost anything you can in Windows -- but not with the same programs.

It's not that I can't word process in Linux -- there are a zillion word processors written for it; its that I can't use MS Word specifically.
It's not that I can't photoedit, it's that I can't use the software I'm used to...

so it takes a bit of time to switch from using one set of applications to another, but its a time I'm willing to invest -- as soon as I figure out how the heck to set Linux up again on my new machine (it has RAID and RADEON and other fancy things that make Linux choke... I'll have to try Redhat 7.1 beta (fisher?) to see if it supports everything I have)

But point is, many newbies I've seen have installed Linux and went off working in it happily -- because they couldn't care less wheather they're using Windoze or Linux...
The real experts are going to adapt to Linux no problemo...

it's the middle-ground people, who know Windows a fair bit but aren't true computer freaks that have the most trouble switching at this point.. ironically, in my experience, more troubles than newbies who are ready to learn either OS:) 
February 14, 2001 9:19:21 AM

Sorry??

6.22 was crap!
The best was 5.0 !

February 14, 2001 9:21:28 AM

Well, The King is dead, long live the King !

Anonymous
February 16, 2001 12:04:49 PM

Yeah, and Atari too, graphical in 1986. Had 4 channel soundcard, 16 color graphics. Once in 80-s it ruled!

~~~~~~~~

Linux is for a reason! Networking, codewriting, securing. Any M$ cant't get even close to it.

Win9x/Me/2K is just an graphical extension for a people hwo 'are incapable/don't need/have no time' to realize how things work inside PC!

How smart can be a PC user who can't even use a command prompt? <- Don't need to? Use M$! ->

Jet I concider myself as a mediocre PC user

And they said schizophrenia is annoying?
February 19, 2001 5:58:10 PM

Well, there´s nothing anyone can say to all you Linux lovers
that will make you see that Linux is not the best solution for 90% of the pc users!
And you can only say that people who don´t use Linux are either : Stupid, Lazy or Ignorant!

Well, i think a lot of how a PC works and i don´t like Linux!
You might say i never tryied it!
In fact i have !
The only SO i haven´t tried is BEOS and that´s because i never got my hands on it! And, i´m not desperate!
Because Win 9x/Me/NT/2000 like for 90% of the PC user community meets all my needs!

Anonymous
February 20, 2001 7:03:57 AM

Sorry for asking, but...
For what reason You use computer? Playing? Officework? Because that's what 90% of peaople are doing with theyr PC-s. But if You think linux sucks, well it's your problem. If you like to use Your money for every little software You use, go ahead. Magic with Linux is, Its free!! And its usefull in many areas (I'm not claiming, that it good for everything). Any IT-men can see it, but I suppose You are not one of em...

As an example.. Many Corporations use M$ Exchange Server for e-mail server, as Outlook for e-mail client. I hate to think the cost of it.. (for server: NT/W2K, Exchange on top of it +Management tools etc.)

Now Linux is good for e-mail server, and if You use Netscape for client, you will be immune to 90% of the e-mail viruses! And its all free! Magic, ah?

<i> And they said schizophrenia is annoying?
February 20, 2001 11:52:44 AM

Well, it all depends where you get your software! :-)
Probably the same way i do!

Asi said: I´M A IT MAN! AND I THINK LINUX SUCKS!!

Using M$ exchange server or outlook is the problem of those companies!
What i was saying is that Windows is a more friendly SO to use!

BTW , if Netscape for Linux is anything near Netscape for
Windows i´m very sorry for you!

Anonymous
February 21, 2001 11:00:44 AM

I agree, <b> only </b> if You compare it to UNIX.
But if you think it's the same, then if anything sucks, it's Microsoft. If I could use all my games in linux/unix I would never even think about M$. M$ has never beaten Unix on the high-end systems... Everything good M$ has, is a copy from Unix or other systems (take TCP/IP as an example, since 1983, first in UNIX System V, Microsoft "invented" it in early 90's, not speaking about multitasking, M$ nearly uses it, etc, etc, etc...).

<i> And they said schizophrenia is annoying?
February 21, 2001 12:06:28 PM

Well, i never said that Micro"Let´s piss the costumers off!"$oft wasn´t crap!
I said that Linux is also a crap!!! Major!

!