Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to change PalmOS "owner name" for hotsync?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 2:44:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

A while back I "downgraded" from my old Handspring Visor to a palm that
suffers from Alzheimers. My wife now uses my old reliable Visor.

How do I tell the Visor it has a new owner? When I try to hot-sync it, it
still thinks it belongs to me, even though my data is gone and it contains
my wife's data. We changed the OWNER under preferences, but can't find
whatever field it is that the hot sync is looking at.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

26-October, 2001: A day that will live in infamy
Support Freedom: http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

.... One nation under survielence, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 9:41:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 17 Sep 2004, kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:


>How do I tell the Visor it has a new owner? When I try to hot-sync it, it
>still thinks it belongs to me, even though my data is gone and it contains
>my wife's data. We changed the OWNER under preferences, but can't find
>whatever field it is that the hot sync is looking at.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/changename.shtml


--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 10:15:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 17 Sep 2004 10:44:02 -0500, Bob Kaplow had this to say...


> A while back I "downgraded" from my old Handspring Visor to a palm that
> suffers from Alzheimers. My wife now uses my old reliable Visor.
>
> How do I tell the Visor it has a new owner? When I try to hot-sync it, it
> still thinks it belongs to me, even though my data is gone and it contains
> my wife's data. We changed the OWNER under preferences, but can't find
> whatever field it is that the hot sync is looking at.
>

Open a new Memo and enter [Shortcut]-dot-5, that is the Shortcut symbol,
tap tap to enter a period, and the number 5.
This will erase the Hotsync Name from the device. On the next Hotsync
the Hotsync Manager will ask you which username on the desktop do you
want to sync with.

P.S. You have no sig delimiter, some don't like that.
--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Related resources
September 18, 2004 12:20:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:15:36 GMT, Jim Anderson wrote:

> P.S. You have no sig delimiter, some don't like that.

You mean there's no automatic dispensation when the sig's larger
than the message? :)  At least we've gotten beyond the bad old days
of giant sigs and ASCII art causing complaints due to 300 -> 2400
baud modems, L.D. calls to BBS's and multi-dollar/hr. Compuserve
fees, etc. Overquoting is still bad, but at least excess cost is no
longer much of a factor.

--
[This space reserved for future sigs, should they be needed.]
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 12:20:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:20:19 GMT, BillB wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:15:36 GMT, Jim Anderson wrote:
>
>> P.S. You have no sig delimiter, some don't like that.
>
> You mean there's no automatic dispensation when the sig's larger
> than the message? :)  At least we've gotten beyond the bad old days
> of giant sigs and ASCII art causing complaints due to 300 -> 2400
> baud modems, L.D. calls to BBS's and multi-dollar/hr. Compuserve
> fees, etc. Overquoting is still bad, but at least excess cost is no
> longer much of a factor.

Ah, 68 line signatures depicting all sorts of glory and gory details.

Man, I miss the mainframe some times... but only sometimes.

--
Derek

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.
September 18, 2004 1:01:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:35:13 -0500, Derek wrote:

> Ah, 68 line signatures depicting all sorts of glory and gory details.
>
> Man, I miss the mainframe some times... but only sometimes.

I remember one mainframe's compiler that preceded its error
message printout with a full page ASCII picture of Alfred E. Newman.
The fact that the programming language was "MAD" may have had some
influence. :)  I don't recall what was behind the MAD acronym,
although the "A" may have represented "Algorithmic".
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 1:01:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:01:54 GMT, BillB wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:35:13 -0500, Derek wrote:
>
>> Ah, 68 line signatures depicting all sorts of glory and gory details.
>>
>> Man, I miss the mainframe some times... but only sometimes.
>
> I remember one mainframe's compiler that preceded its error
> message printout with a full page ASCII picture of Alfred E. Newman.
> The fact that the programming language was "MAD" may have had some
> influence. :)  I don't recall what was behind the MAD acronym,
> although the "A" may have represented "Algorithmic".

Geeze. Now you've got me thinking back to the "good old days" when the
mezzanine of the primary office tower on campus was ringed with dumb
terminals and one printer for all 2 dozen or so users.

Ah, the good old days. Somebody else can have 'em.

I've gotten rather used to my ink jet and my 19 inch monitor.
--
Derek

It's amazing how much easier it is for a team to work together when no one
has any idea where they're going.
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 2:04:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

BillB wrote:
> fees, etc. Overquoting is still bad, but at least excess cost is no
> longer much of a factor.

I dunno, the cost of wasted time is not insignificant compared to
what the cost of wasted bandwidth used to be.

- Logan
September 18, 2004 2:51:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:11:07 -0500, Derek wrote:

> Geeze. Now you've got me thinking back to the "good old days" when the
> mezzanine of the primary office tower on campus was ringed with dumb
> terminals and one printer for all 2 dozen or so users.
>
> Ah, the good old days. Somebody else can have 'em.

I recall the university computer (two IBM 370-168's and an Amdahl
equivalent running in parallel) and its humongous operating system
that fit in 2 MB of memory. One of today's ARM powered Palms may
have more computing power than the university's computer, which
supported several hundred simultaneously logged-in users. And the
PDAs can get results in seconds (or less), don't have to wait
minutes or hours for a job to start, and (tadaaa!) don't require
JCL. I'll let the Smithsonian have 'em. :) 


> I've gotten rather used to my ink jet and my 19 inch monitor.

The lucky students logged in with a 24x80 video terminal and a
1200 baud modem. The less fortunate used a Teletype, but at least
they could save copies of the source code of games such as Hammurabi
or Hunt the Wumpus on paper tape. But they weren't nearly as
popular as Adventure (aka Colossal Cave). The only thing I dislike
about today's ink jet printers is the high costs of ink. It's
ridiculous when some printers can be purchased for less than the
cost of two sets of ink cartridges. And those new printers probably
include some ink inside the box!
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 2:51:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:51:05 GMT, BillB wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:11:07 -0500, Derek wrote:
>
>> Geeze. Now you've got me thinking back to the "good old days" when the
>> mezzanine of the primary office tower on campus was ringed with dumb
>> terminals and one printer for all 2 dozen or so users.
>>
>> Ah, the good old days. Somebody else can have 'em.
>
> I recall the university computer (two IBM 370-168's and an Amdahl
> equivalent running in parallel) and its humongous operating system
> that fit in 2 MB of memory. One of today's ARM powered Palms may
> have more computing power than the university's computer, which
> supported several hundred simultaneously logged-in users. And the
> PDAs can get results in seconds (or less), don't have to wait
> minutes or hours for a job to start, and (tadaaa!) don't require
> JCL. I'll let the Smithsonian have 'em. :) 

A-men. I couldn't tell you what my university was using. I was just content
to use the VT100 termies or "kermit" to access my e-mail and the chat
program. I was only a little geeky back then. I got worse later.

>> I've gotten rather used to my ink jet and my 19 inch monitor.
>
> The lucky students logged in with a 24x80 video terminal and a
> 1200 baud modem. The less fortunate used a Teletype, but at least
> they could save copies of the source code of games such as Hammurabi
> or Hunt the Wumpus on paper tape. But they weren't nearly as
> popular as Adventure (aka Colossal Cave). The only thing I dislike
> about today's ink jet printers is the high costs of ink. It's
> ridiculous when some printers can be purchased for less than the
> cost of two sets of ink cartridges. And those new printers probably
> include some ink inside the box!

Actually, I know people who say that they buy new printers when the ink
runs out because it's cheaper.

--
Derek

There comes a time when every team must learn to make individual
sacrifices.
September 18, 2004 2:55:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:04:31 GMT, Logan Shaw wrote:

> I dunno, the cost of wasted time is not insignificant compared to
> what the cost of wasted bandwidth used to be.

Yes, but I'm more likely than not to skip over hugely overquoted
messages, especially if it requires more than a second or two to
locate the actual replies buried within. Using a PDA to retrieve
messages magnifies the problem.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 12:02:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <414b21d4.8880078@news.individual.de>, yeltrabnhoj@email.com writes:
> On 17 Sep 2004, kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:
>>How do I tell the Visor it has a new owner? When I try to hot-sync it, it
>>still thinks it belongs to me, even though my data is gone and it contains
>>my wife's data. We changed the OWNER under preferences, but can't find
>>whatever field it is that the hot sync is looking at.
>
> http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/changename.shtml

Thanks! And I download this to my PDA that I can't hotsync because it has a
duplicate name how?

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

26-October, 2001: A day that will live in infamy
Support Freedom: http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

.... One nation under survielence, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 12:03:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <MPG.1bb4e58c9868e20c989835@news.frontiernet.net>, Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> writes:
> Open a new Memo and enter [Shortcut]-dot-5, that is the Shortcut symbol,
> tap tap to enter a period, and the number 5.
> This will erase the Hotsync Name from the device. On the next Hotsync
> the Hotsync Manager will ask you which username on the desktop do you
> want to sync with.

Doesn't seem to do anything...

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

26-October, 2001: A day that will live in infamy
Support Freedom: http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

.... One nation under survielence, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 5:11:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 19 Sep 2004 08:03:22 -0500, Bob Kaplow had this to say...


> In article <MPG.1bb4e58c9868e20c989835@news.frontiernet.net>, Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> writes:
> > Open a new Memo and enter [Shortcut]-dot-5, that is the Shortcut symbol,
> > tap tap to enter a period, and the number 5.
> > This will erase the Hotsync Name from the device. On the next Hotsync
> > the Hotsync Manager will ask you which username on the desktop do you
> > want to sync with.
>
> Doesn't seem to do anything...
>
> Bob Kaplow

It is built into the OS of every Palm, if it does not work you did it
wrong because it works for everyone else.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 5:11:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <MPG.1bb7416e51804077989838@news.frontiernet.net>, Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> writes:
> It is built into the OS of every Palm, if it does not work you did it
> wrong because it works for everyone else.

As I said, this is a Visor, not a Palm.

Is it supposed to do anything when I enter that sequence?

I do "/" from bottom left to top right, then "." "." "5". The Visor does
nothing obvious in response.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

26-October, 2001: A day that will live in infamy
Support Freedom: http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

.... One nation under survielence, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 10:30:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

> In article <MPG.1bb7416e51804077989838@news.frontiernet.net>, Jim
Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> writes:
> > It is built into the OS of every Palm, if it does not work you did it
> > wrong because it works for everyone else.
>
> As I said, this is a Visor, not a Palm.
>
> Is it supposed to do anything when I enter that sequence?
>
> I do "/" from bottom left to top right, then "." "." "5". The Visor does
> nothing obvious in response.

Jim was right -- you did it wrong. :-)

You were told to use the "shortcut" symbol, not the "command" stroke.
That's the curly lowercase-letter-l thing.

"Shortcut period 5" erases the HotSync name and ID on every PalmOS device
I know of, including Visors.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:27:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:01:54 GMT, BillB <rainbose@earthlink.newt>
wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:35:13 -0500, Derek wrote:
>
>> Ah, 68 line signatures depicting all sorts of glory and gory details.
>>
>> Man, I miss the mainframe some times... but only sometimes.
>
> I remember one mainframe's compiler that preceded its error
>message printout with a full page ASCII picture of Alfred E. Newman.

Wow, that brings back memories!

>The fact that the programming language was "MAD" may have had some
>influence. :)  I don't recall what was behind the MAD acronym,
>although the "A" may have represented "Algorithmic".

Michigan Algorithmic Decoder. First programming language I learned
(but hardly the last.) Was developed if I remember correctly, as a
"better" alternative to Fortran for teaching purposes. My college had
an IBM 7040 system with mag tapes running IBSYS.

MAD never really got to System/360, again from memory. Some guy at my
school was trying to write a MAD emulator using PL/1. Don't remember
if it actually worked.

Having been "spoiled" by MAD, I never really liked Fortran. So when I
got a look at PL/1 (F), that was a revelation. Everything you could
do in Fortran you could do in PL/1, usually in more than one way, and
with elegance.

I'm not going to get into a PL/1 vs. COBOL or PL/1 vs. C debate here.
I will say that I once had the PL/1 for DOS from Digital Research, and
I believe that you can actually find those disks available for
download somewhere on the net, and free for non-commercial use.
February 2, 2005 11:18:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:27:02 -0800, I live on Quicken and Outlook
wrote:

>> I remember one mainframe's compiler that preceded its error
>>message printout with a full page ASCII picture of Alfred E. Newman.
>
> Wow, that brings back memories!

As did your time-spanning F-U. :) 


> Having been "spoiled" by MAD, I never really liked Fortran. So when I
> got a look at PL/1 (F), that was a revelation. Everything you could
> do in Fortran you could do in PL/1, usually in more than one way, and
> with elegance.
>
> I'm not going to get into a PL/1 vs. COBOL or PL/1 vs. C debate here.
> I will say that I once had the PL/1 for DOS from Digital Research, and
> I believe that you can actually find those disks available for
> download somewhere on the net, and free for non-commercial use.

The first computer language I learned was Fortran and I liked it
quite a bit. Even still have McCracken's "A Guide To Fortran IV
Programming" somewhere in the bookcase. Became most proficient with
C, but before then wrote a 'light' in-house email program using
Digital Research's PL/1 compiler for CP/M. No hard drives for me
back then, just 8" DD floppies. Didn't care much for COBOL or APL,
but had fun playing with some odd/unusual languages. One was SAM76,
written by an interesting guy from New Jersey, written IIRC, as a
way to encourage children to familiarize themselves with computers
and programming. If I was told back then (before the IBM PC and the
Apple II) that someday I'd have a handheld computer with more
computing power than the university's IBM and Amdahl mainframes, I
might have said "Right . . . Maybe sometime next century." And
that would have been pretty close to the mark. :) 
!