autobengal

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2004
Do you have to set up this hard drive in a Raid configuration? I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. What I want to do is have a Raptor as a master and a IDE HD as a slave to image my master drive. I am a little confused because there are no master/slave jumpers on Raptors. Thank you in advance.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You don't have to raid it. There's no master/slave on the raptor because it doesn't share a channel with anything else as that's the nature of SATA (ie one drive via one cable to one port on the mobo... no 2 drives on one cable to one port like in PATA)

Your way will be fine.

I have a raptor, a 120 GB SATA drive, and a PATA drive running with no raid at all.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

autobengal

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2004
Are you saying that as long as you set the slave drive as a slave the Raptor will boot up like any other master drive? I don't have to do bios settings?
Plus is the Raptor, in your opinion, much faster than a WD_80
gig with 8MB buffer at 7200RPM?

RichPLS

Champion
Raptor is faster, noticably, depends. But does have much longer warranty, which is nice.

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The P4C800-E has 2 SATA controllers. If you're running 1 or 2 drives I'd disable the Promise SATA controller completely and use the Intel controller. That way you won't have to wait for the Promise controller to try to detect drives and give you that "RAID BIOS NOT INSTALLED" message that annoys everyone.

The Intel controller supports both RAID and NON-RAID modes. You can find the settings in BIOS. Your particular BIOS, when set right, will list 6 IDE devices, with the first 2 being SATA followed by Primary Master/Primary Slave and Secondary Master/Secondary Slave.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No no, you can set the other drive up as a master. Just make sure you set your BIOS to boot from the SATA drive and you can boot from it.

I've owned a WD80 gig drive, and now a 74 gig raptor and yeah, the raptor is noticably faster.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
so you set the sata as 1st boot and install the OS onto it, then reconnect the ide say u have an existing one and leave it as primary on 1st ide channel...? Would it be better to leave the ide harddrive on the primary ide channel or would it be better to move say a cd/dvd burner onto the primary ide and move the harddrive onto secondary? Or does it not make any difference?
Just asking because I just got a raptor and im going to install probably tonight.
I was planning on fully disconnecting my primary hard drive right now which has the OS on it, then once I have installed xp on the raptor and set it as first boot I was going to reconnect the ide harddrive i have and then format it....sound logical?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It doesn't make a difference so long as you set the correct drive as the boot drive in BIOS. But XP occasionally does strange things with drive letters during settup, so I'd disconnect the other hard drives until the OS is installed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Crashman, thats what i was planning on doing, will it matter if i dont format the drive i am currently using as my boot drive when i do the fresh install onto the raptor, then set that as a secondary drive, boot to windows on the raptor and then format the old one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can do that if you disconnect the drive for the XP installation. XP will always instal to a drive that already has XP on it, if available, so you'll want the drive disconnected during that process. I'd make the CD-ROM first and the SATA channel for hte Raptor second, do the installation, then add the other drive without putting it in the boot order.

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Yep yep, sounds good, will probably do the install tomorrow, will let you know how everything goes...if u dont hear from me then well....we all know what that means lmao (not envisaging having any issues tho :p)

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
Thanks for your help, got it installed and working perfectly saturday, been running smooth ever since, nice and fast too, you really notice the difference with one of these suckas in your system. Programs open fast, windows boots fast.....