DVD burner will only burn to RW

voices

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
I have a Sony DRU-530a DVD writer and it will only burn to DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs. Has anyone ever heard of this? How do I make it burn on the normal DVD+/-R discs?
Someone mentioned flashing my bios with the LITE-ON firmware but I'm not sure of the rebadging for my burner.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, there are no burners that will burn to RW but not R (either in + or -).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

voices

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
So I take it Crash that you have never seen this before then.
However, maybe I should clarify some. It burns but the dvds are not readable unless they are the RW type.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My friend used to burn me DVD-R's on the exact same unit. I think you're having problems with the blank media you're buying.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

nate39

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2004
I am having the same problem with my dvd rewrite drive. It is Optorite and has burned things to blank cds, but a friend gave me several blank dvds and InCD won't format them. It has the format option grayed out.

MSI Neo2 Plat.
Athlon 64 3000 939nm
ATI 9600xt
Zalman 7000alcu
Kingston hyper x 256x2