Sign in with
Your question

hd only 137gb!

Last response: in Storage
November 13, 2004 7:38:38 PM

I just got a 200gb Maxtor HD, i know win2k only supports up to 137gb. When i was formatting it with the win2k cd i partitioned it for like 7gb (for OS and win files) and wanted the rest for my other files.

I wanted a total of 3 partions but only made one and figured i would set up the other 2 with partition magic. Well i open partition magic and it only shows 130gb left to work with, so i formatted that, but the other 60 is nowhere to be found! i have win2k SP4...

any helpwould be greatly appreciated, thanks!

More about : 137gb

November 13, 2004 7:46:12 PM

Go demand 30% back of the drive cost!

<font color=red><pre>_____________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
November 13, 2004 7:47:31 PM

haha i just may but i dont think its a problem with the hd, im pretty sure i'm just doing something wrong
Related resources
November 14, 2004 3:39:35 AM

Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and later can support 48-bit LBA (meaning it can recognize HD larger than 137GB). You need to enable LBA in Windows registry for it (your mobo's BIOS <b><font color=red>must</b></font color=red> support 48-bit LBA for this to work)
<b><A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098" target="_new"><font color=blue>48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000</A></b></font color=blue>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
November 14, 2004 5:40:11 AM

Does the MOTHERBOARD detect it at full size?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 14, 2004 3:55:29 PM

I don't get your logic, why are you creating OS partition with w2k and want to make rest of them with PM? Is there a perticular reason?

In the mean time, get Maxtor's drive utility and make whatever you want with yer drive.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
November 19, 2004 8:24:31 AM

Did you come right on this one becuase i have the same problem? What was the solution?
November 21, 2004 9:16:53 PM

What Mobo do you have, it may not actually support HDDs that size... least not without a BIOS update

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
December 9, 2004 3:52:36 PM

I had this exact same problem with a maxtor harddrive that i installed in June, tried everything i could think of for a few weeks short of destroying the harddrive but eventually I got it fixed (not with the stupid maxblast software which told me that because it was my boot drive it couldnt make the change lol)
The steps I took were as follows:
Updated bios to current version
Updated windows to make sure I didnt need any fixes
Used disk managment tool in windows to create a partition for the extra space and then formatted the partition with partition magic

It wasnt the bios update or the windows update which fixed my problem though, what you need to do is go into disc managment and play around with the extra space which hopefully you will see as unpartitioned space in the managment tool, you should be able to reclaim that space if you play around long enough....sorry i cant be a little more detailed but it just seemed like the flick of a switch on mine and it was fixed.
December 9, 2004 9:01:43 PM

Western Digital makes a software that WORKS! I just proved it with a new 200gb EIDE/ATA. Just followed all the installation steps that came with the drive, including loading the software AFTER installing the drive, then REBOOTING and executing the software steps. Rebooted again and presto, detected the 200gb hard drive with about 180gb of space (due to formatting and deviding 200,000,000,000 by 1024kb/1024mb/1024gb)

Pavelow

Dell 8250, i850e 4xAGP 2.4ghzCPU 512mbPC1066RDRAM 120gb & 200gbATA
GeF4MX420 SBL5.1 SamSung48xCDRW LiteOn851SDVDRW
RJ-45 to Compaq 9660, 233mhzCPU 104mbFPRAM 12mbVoodoo2 Win95a
!